Will there be a super star for Seattle Kraken in its inaugural season?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Landeskog perhaps. Not quite a superstar but absolutely marketable and big name player. Price is just a bad idea at 10.5M until age 39. Great goalie, still has some mileage, but that contract is 5 more years and that cap hit is huge.

Seattle will be one of the only teams with the cap space and assets to make a move for Eichel. Stranger things have happened, though I'm very leary of his neck injury.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Landeskog perhaps. Not quite a superstar but absolutely marketable and big name player. Price is just a bad idea at 10.5M until age 39. Great goalie, still has some mileage, but that contract is 5 more years and that cap hit is huge.

Seattle will be one of the only teams with the cap space and assets to make a move for Eichel. Stranger things have happened, though I'm very leary of his neck injury.
I would not pick Price or trade for Eichel. Better options for players who don't have massive injuries.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Tarasenko is the most realistic one I see because of the contract. But it is rumored that his final destination is not going to be Seattle anyway.

Price is a distant 2nd because of how much GMRF has emphasized the importance of cap space.

That emphasized on the important of cap space was before the team even knew Price was going to be available. It would be stupid for the team just to dismiss the idea of taking Price.

Reactions: themilosh

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
That emphasized on the important of cap space was before the team even knew Price was going to be available. It would be stupid for the team just to dismiss the idea of taking Price.

My take is that if they were going to take Price, they wouldn't sign Dreidger. Why sign Dreidger for 3x3.5M if you're going to have Price at 10.5M for 5 years? If Price is going to be THE guy than Vanacek, Kahkonen, etc. could be more than adequate backups, with solid upside, at 725k a piece, rather than paying a backup 3.5M. Why have 14M tied up in goal when you could have the same results/quality with only 11.25M tied up? If Dreidger is just backing up Price, I don't think Vanacek is a significant downgrade at all.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That emphasized on the important of cap space was before the team even knew Price was going to be available.

Cap space is still as important. Additional players being available does NOT change that. All that does is give management additional options to fill the roster.

Also, I get that Price had a great playoffs but before this playoff run his contract was considered to be borderline immovable. We are not talking about Matthews, McDavid, Hedman, Tavares, etc. being available. This is a 34 year old goalie with an injury history and a contract that runs for another 5 seasons.

Reactions: LokiDog

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If Mason Appleton is taken by Seattle, I think he could become their version of William Karlsson. If the Jets could've given him more minutes instead of being sheltered by Ehlers, Wheeler, Connor, Stastny, Dubois and Copp. He did put up amazing numbers this season too for someone on the third line for a vast majority of the season.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
If Mason Appleton is taken by Seattle, I think he could become their version of William Karlsson. If the Jets could've given him more minutes instead of being sheltered by Ehlers, Wheeler, Connor, Stastny, Dubois and Copp. He did put up amazing numbers this season too for someone on the third line for a vast majority of the season.
Give him pp time as well going to have breakout season.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
the whole team is gonna look like an all star team after the dust settles. I GUARANTEE yall are making the playoffs in your first season if Carey Price is your goalie.

DanoCanuck

Jul 18, 2021
the whole team is gonna look like an all star team after the dust settles. I GUARANTEE yall are making the playoffs in your first season if Carey Price is your goalie.

If there wasn't a pesky cap it would be an all star team but that cap prevents it. Playoffs are realistic but Francis could elect to go young vs being an instant playoff contender with more veteran players. He'll probably end up with a mix so guaranteed playoff isn't necessarily set in stone. New teams don't just become playoff contenders despite what happened in Vegas, which resembled lightning caught in a bottle. Many teams learned what not to do and won't make the same mistake again with the Krak.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's actually a base pay of 2 mil. The bonuses are what bring it up to 9 - however it could be doable for you guys since it's only for a year.

Not true. He would cost 8M in cash. Any player taken by Seattle they have to pay the full amount the player was owed that year. So the 6M bonus NJ paid Seattle would have to reimburse them that. He would need to be traded to Seattle as that way Jersey is on the hook for the bonus.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
Price was unable to reach the playoffs for several years before the Covid-19. Habs and Price made the playoffs only because of shortened seasons.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is Hamilton a superstar? The way the picks in the expansion draft are going, have to believe they are going to push hard for Hamilton in FA.

Yeah they definitely seemed to be making cap saving moves. Wouldn't be surprised if they landed some of the big fish in free agency this year: Hamilton, Landeskog, Barrie, Schwartz!

I know it wont happen and he will re-sign with Washington but wouldn't it be amazing to have a fun loving excited to play guy like Ovechkin!

Reactions: Mestaruus

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah they definitely seemed to be making cap saving moves. Wouldn't be surprised if they landed some of the big fish in free agency this year: Hamilton, Landeskog, Barrie, Schwartz!

I know it wont happen and he will re-sign with Washington but wouldn't it be amazing to have a fun loving excited to play guy like Ovechkin!

Landeskog wasn't willing to sign with them, and the UFA pool this year doesn't have the talent to save Seattle (right now I'd hazard a guess that lots of players just put Seattle on their no-sign list). Mason Appleton is their star forward right now. I'm not even kidding.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Landeskog wasn't willing to sign with them, and the UFA pool this year doesn't have the talent to save Seattle (right now I'd hazard a guess that lots of players just put Seattle on their no-sign list). Mason Appleton is their star forward right now. I'm not even kidding.

Yanni Gourde is the star forward

If they managed to sign schwartz and another top 6 forward this lineup looks really great top to bottom.

Will be interesting to see who they get in the entry draft Friday. Eklund or Benier could be fun guys to watch in 2022-23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad