Will there be a super star for Seattle Kraken in its inaugural season?

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Yanni Gourde is the star forward

If they managed to sign schwartz and another top 6 forward this lineup looks really great top to bottom.

Will be interesting to see who they get in the entry draft Friday. Eklund or Benier could be fun guys to watch in 2022-23

They don't have any natural C's. They need 2 more middle-6 (or better) centermen at least. This lineup looks like garbage and I don't think UFA can save it.

Donskoi - Gourde - Eberle
Appleton - McCann - Tanev
Twarynski - Jarnkrok - Pitlick
Geekie - Blackwell - Bastian

Reactions: Mestaruus

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
They don't have any natural C's. They need 2 more middle-6 (or better) centermen at least. This lineup looks like garbage and I don't think UFA can save it.

Yikes

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

People said that about Vegas and they made the finals their first year. 2 or 3 good signings and I think they are a playoff team (especially in the Pacific division)

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
People said that about Vegas and they made the finals their first year. 2 or 3 good signings and I think they are a playoff team (especially in the Pacific division)

Vegas selected a bunch of 3rd liners and made extremely solid deals to get known 2nd line NHL talent. They robbed Minnesota and Florida. Gallant was also the man for the job.
Seattle has half 3rd/4th liners, and half AHL tweeners, and no savior in sight.

Reactions: majormajor

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Vegas selected a bunch of 3rd liners and made extremely solid deals to get known 2nd line NHL talent. They robbed Minnesota and Florida. Gallant was also the man for the job.
Seattle has half 3rd/4th liners, and half AHL tweeners, and no savior in sight.

It's day 1. Relax.

March is similar to Gourde.

Karlsson wasn't a star until he was given an opportunity in Vegas (best season before was 25 points)

perron had come off a few weak season, and was re-ignited with more time in vegas.

Haula wasn't anything offensively until he got to Vegas.

Neal was a beat up guy on the downside of his career.

Reilly smith was a great pickup, but the Panthers were actively trying to get rid of him.

Kraken went younger. If a few of their players pop with elevated playing time like the golden knights did they will be fine. And they have the most usable cap space in the NHL right now...a full roster with like 32/33M to spend.

Schwartz - Gourde - Tatar
Appleton - Danault - Granlund
Saad/hyman

Could add suter or Hamilton or Barrie on defence. 34M could give u a run at signing lots of these guys.

Last edited:

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I really like the D Seattle selected in the expansion draft but Gio is aging and under contract for only one more season. If the Kraken can acquire Dougie Hamilton the returns would be enormous imo. Landeskog is nice but a winger isn't going to change the team's fortunes as much as a PPQB1 like Dougie would and he would be the team's superstar.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I really like the D Seattle selected in the expansion draft but Gio is aging and under contract for only one more season. If the Kraken can acquire Dougie Hamilton the returns would be enormous imo. Landeskog is nice but a winger isn't going to change the team's fortunes as much as a PPQB1 like Dougie would and he would be the team's superstar.

Sorry not wanting to pay him 7x9. We have higher needs like top 6 forwards.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Not many teams have room for both Landeskog AND Hamilton and with enough left over to fill out their roster. Seattle, New Jersey, Columbus (not sure if Cap Friendly is updated), Ottawa. That's it. The rest couldn't possibly. Now, will that happen? Oh, no way! No way a club gets BOTH of those guys. Hamilton will sign with Carolina. They have the money. The big question is Landeskog. Lots of teams can afford him. Those 4 I mention, plus NYR? The teams with cap space have a sh!tload of slots to fill. They aren't blowing it all on guys making league minimum. Those 5 have the bargaining power on every free agent and it'll be fun to see what happens.

Reactions: GordieHoweHatTrick

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
They are not going to beat out Colorado or Vegas this year, and next year's UFA crop is so much stronger, so no sense overspending now.

Pick up one stop gap center and go into the season and evaluate the players you have.

Teams that are cap flexible with a solid foundation can read the market and go from lottery team to contender with 2 or 3 solid moves. Teams that are cap strapped that haven't drafted their own star players tend to be perpetual bubble teams.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
This team is going to score few goals and allow few goals. It looks like the philosophy is to build around defense and let the goaltending develop over the first year or so. It's always easier to add forwards to a good defense, than defensemen and goalies to a good offense.

Reactions: GordieHoweHatTrick

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

They need to go hard after a good center like schwartz or Ryan Johansen retained/Bakley (cheap pn the market as exposed).

And if they add an extra UFA winger, its gold.

Donskoi aquired 1C Eberle
UFA winger Gourde Järnkrok
Apleton McCann Tanev
Geekie Blackwell Bastian

looks better than 3/4 of the league

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If there is a Super-star to arise for the Seattle Kraken in first year it will have to come from the haul I expect GM RF to acquire during the UFA "fireworks" come July 28th/2021! Jaden (UFA)Schwartz was rumored to still to be there but maybe Hamilton priced himself outta here. But maybe David Savard could be a great get for the RDefense position. Joel Armia would also be a good signing even though he's not a Star. I like P Danault and Landeskog would fit in that Super-Star category I believe but it would have to take quite a commitment that Francis isn't willing to give,since in a years time youngster Matty Beniers will be in Seattle Kraken colours! Or maybe Seattle signs a couple of UFA's short-term and waits for 2022 where a tonne of UFA's become available

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Hamilton is a defenseman.
He posted that Hamilton as a #1D PPQB would be more impactful than a forward, and you even quoted his post where he said that...

He then said there are no forwards available that would make as big of an impact as Hamilton, and you responded "Hamilton is a defenseman"?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I would be amazed if we signed a superstar free agent. Those guys are going to want to win now because they are in the prime of their careers. We might develop a genuine star if one of the expansion picks soars , but I don't think it is a big deal or a must by any means.This franchise is going to require patience, a lot of it. But it will be worth it if it works.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
I would be amazed if we signed a superstar free agent. Those guys are going to want to win now because they are in the prime of their careers. We might develop a genuine star if one of the expansion picks soars , but I don't think it is a big deal or a must by any means.This franchise is going to require patience, a lot of it. But it will be worth it if it works.

I personally don't think there's a superstar available in FA this year. But again, it's maybe how I define superstar vs. star (Landeskog and Hamilton are both stars to me).

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
There aren't a ton of superstars in the league, so I'm going to say no. My definition of a superstar is a franchise leading talent, is irreplaceable at their position, and has a track record of being able to perform, and in some cases carry their teams, in both the playoffs and regular season (and if they haven't done it in the playoffs yet, they are at least someone who is hugely popular and widely recognizable within and beyond the league).

I have a fairly specific and narrow definition, but I like to keep the superstars in the elite company they deserve. Some examples for me are Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevsky, MacKinnon, Ovechkin, Crosby, Matthews, McDavid. Pietrangelo, Pastrnak, Rask, Malkin, P.Kane, Draisaitl and Marchand. There's also some players with superstar potential, but just need more time to further peak or demonstrate consistency like Rantanen, Makar, Q.Hughes, Heiskanen, Point, Pettersson etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frozen

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021

If this happens, then I was wrong and we could have a player with superstar potential in Grubauer.

Reactions: Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad