Will there be a body count? (Craig plsread)

Will there be a body count when the playoffs are missed?

• There will be no changes

• Only Tocchet will be fired

• Only Chayka will be fired

• Tocchet and Chayka will be fired

• Core players will be traded

• Minor personnel moves will be made (IE non-core players, support staff)

Results are only viewable after voting.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Safe:
Tocchet
MacLean
Housley
Stepan
Kessel
OEL
Goligoski
Demers

Lambs for the sacrifice:
Grabner
Oesterle
Hinostroza
Richardson
Soderberg

How Chayka will “fix it”:
Hall goes elsewhere disgusted
Sign Haula on a show me deal
Sign Barrie on a big bucks deal

Reactions: Yandover

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hoping Meruelo isn't a dope and understands that there are many great people in hockey. A lot of them have been hired and fired multiple times. It's time to fire Tocchet. It's a business, he's not getting results with a better roster. At no point has he demonstrated growth that would make keeping him worth it. It's over, or at least it should be.

Chayka should be furious that he assembled a stronger team and did things like the Kessel trade on Tocchet's recommendation. They are making him look like a moron. Some of it is deserved - the team slid all the way out of 1st and he didn't even fire a shot across the bow. He can either tie himself to a clueless dumbass of a coach and get fired next year or clean out the coaching staff this year and buy some time.

They were only ever in a good position largely because Kuemper was having a career year. That's not a sustainable formula or a sign of a job well done from anyone. I would be secretly freaking out and alarmed at how much garbage has revealed itself this year if I was Chayka. How many goddamn fires that need to be put out now.

If he does nothing then he's not actually smart. That's probably the worst case scenario. Watching a 30yo GM double down because "f*** it, i'll get another shot sometime"

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Chose "minor personnel changes". Absolutely gutted about last night. Followed the team from Winnipeg in '96, lots of down seasons but don't remember one that felt this abject. Think it's the expectations that built from the first 6 weeks this season, that this one was going to be special.

As I've gotten older I've begun appreciating professional sports franchises that are "well run". Teams like the Green Bay Packers in football, or the Saint Louis Cardinals in baseball. Teams that consistently make smart move to remain competitive season in and season out without making (or being forced to make) panic financial moves that handicap their future.

GMJC's moves the last few years have severely tested me in that regard. How he handles this off-season may well determine my ability to continue to support the Arizona Coyotes, or if it's time to cast my lot with one of those "smart" front offices

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I need multiple poll choices.

1. The coaching staff must be replaced. Last year RT was in the running for coach of the year, considering the injuries and nearly making the playoffs for the first time in ages, but no excuse this season. Injuries can't be blamed; GM packed the roster to the cap; big acquisition for marque player; No excuse for the meltdown.

2. I would not hold a fire sale, but roster changes must be made. We have the talent, but not the right attitude to win playoff games. Two to three key additions could make a big difference in attitude and result in more wins.
  • The only UFA I would look to sign is Soderberg. His numbers are consistent with his career. We essentially got what we thought we were getting. At 34, though, not looking for more than 2 years at the right price.
  • Richardson has been a solid Coyote over the years, but production is way off and he's 35. Not interested.
  • Hall is the most talented player we have, but I don't think he's the solution. For the money he will command I'm not interested.
  • I would trade Kessel, OEL, and Gogo if possible. A big if.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think very little changes. Maybe we shuffle our 4th liners around, at most we fire a Tucson assistant coach or something dumb. A lot of talk about injuries becomes the story of the season. Morgan has already started mentioning in his last few articles that the team hasn't iced their fully healthy roster since game 4 of the season. A stat showing how many many games we lost from our goalies will get mentioned a lot. There may even be some subtle allusions to team chemistry, partially scapegoating Hall.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hoping Meruelo isn't a dope and understands that there are many great people in hockey. A lot of them have been hired and fired multiple times. It's time to fire Tocchet. It's a business, he's not getting results with a better roster. At no point has he demonstrated growth that would make keeping him worth it. It's over, or at least it should be.

Chayka should be furious that he assembled a stronger team and did things like the Kessel trade on Tocchet's recommendation. They are making him look like a moron. Some of it is deserved - the team slid all the way out of 1st and he didn't even fire a shot across the bow. He can either tie himself to a clueless dumbass of a coach and get fired next year or clean out the coaching staff this year and buy some time.

They were only ever in a good position largely because Kuemper was having a career year. That's not a sustainable formula or a sign of a job well done from anyone. I would be secretly freaking out and alarmed at how much garbage has revealed itself this year if I was Chayka. How many goddamn fires that need to be put out now.

If he does nothing then he's not actually smart. That's probably the worst case scenario. Watching a 30yo GM double down because "f*** it, i'll get another shot sometime"
Good post. If I was Meruelo, I would hire an successful NHL guy for Chayka to report to. Chayka has positives, but also negatives. They both then have to find a successful NHL coach and the three of them work this out. This was a failure of a season and there is no other way to look at it. We have talent, so it's not all doom and gloom, but success breeds success, and RT and coaching staff DO NOT have it.

Reactions: CoyoteDave

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
If Chayka wants to keep Tocchet around... fire them both. No excuse to keep the coach at this point and it would show he values his own ego over making the right move for the team.

If Chayka fires Tocchet... he better get it right this time around. I feel his biggest downfall has been picking Tocchet as his coach. Perhaps the choices weren't great at the time... but damn he didn't pick a good head coach that's for sure.

Maybe RT is a good assistant coach... but he sure as hell can't be a head coach. The evidence is clear over a large sample size.... the stats don't lie... they don't need to be manipulated to pretend he's bad... they just show he's not a good head coach, period. Imo.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I'd vote tocchet + personnel moves if that was an option

I want Chayka and all most U25 players back for next season. Fire the coaching staff and shuffle some veteran players. Piece together a capable offense via FA and said shuffling. If next season is more of the same Chayka needs to go too.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
What’s really amazing is that Chayka sat their in front of the camera at the deadline and said, “We believe in this group. We think this is a good group that deserves a shot...we haven’t been getting the results but we think we’re trending the right way.” What in the f*** would make you think that John? We know Chayka looks at stats...why would he sit there and say some shit like that when basically ALL of the advanced metrics point to the exact opposite being true...you have been trending the WRONG direction for quite some time. It’s so damn confusing to me that he could sit there and say that and actually believe a word of it. I don’t get it.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Tocchet should atleast be gone. I don't know what else a coach needs to NOT do to get fired. We were so close to the playoffs last year, and GMJC made moves that realistically should have improved our team. What else is there to do? Tocchet can't motivate them to play. The only ones that give a crap are Hall and Garland. This was the year that playoffs were EXPECTED especially after last year. Time to adjust the coaching staff because the on ice talent is there, just not utilized or producing.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Keep Chychrun, Garland, Kuemper, Crouse, Keller, Soderstrom, Jenik, Macelli...the rest is up for grabs. If any combination of Dvo, Hayton or even Keller would net you a 1C in a trade, you do it.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I can't see Chayka being idle in the offseason. He has been one of the most active GM's in the league and I dont see that changing. He made 2 huge acquisitions for this season - Kessel and Hall - and neither has worked out. His I am smarter than you 1st round pick in 2018 (Hayton) cant make the regular roster on a team whose (cough) #1 C has 38 points in 70 games. His coaching choice seems to have no answers.

There is not an easy answer in free agency. There is no #1 C available. Hall is probably the top name available and he is not likely to sign here. There are some good D but the team would have to be able to trade some veteran D to make room as the top 6 D are all under contract for next year. Does OEL have value with his big contract?

He has to replace Soderberg, Richardson and Hall as UFA's. Maybe/hopefully Hayton fills in one of those spots. Don't see an answer in Tuscon to step in immediately. Jenik might have been able to but likely has to play another year in a lower league after rehabbing his knee.

So...

Fire Tocchet. Hire Laviolette. Laviolette picks his assistants.

Make another shake up trade...target other teams that dissapointed (Florida, Buffalo, maybe Toronto...)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I can't see Chayka being idle in the offseason. He has been one of the most active GM's in the league and I dont see that changing. He made 2 huge acquisitions for this season - Kessel and Hall - and neither has worked out. His I am smarter than you 1st round pick in 2018 (Hayton) cant make the regular roster on a team whose (cough) #1 C has 38 points in 70 games. His coaching choice seems to have no answers.

There is not an easy answer in free agency. There is no #1 C available. Hall is probably the top name available and he is not likely to sign here. There are some good D but the team would have to be able to trade some veteran D to make room as the top 6 D are all under contract for next year. Does OEL have value with his big contract?

He has to replace Soderberg, Richardson and Hall as UFA's. Maybe/hopefully Hayton fills in one of those spots. Don't see an answer in Tuscon to step in immediately. Jenik might have been able to but likely has to play another year in a lower league after rehabbing his knee.

So...

Fire Tocchet. Hire Laviolette. Laviolette picks his assistants.

Make another shake up trade...target other teams that dissapointed (Florida, Buffalo, maybe Toronto...)
I was about to write that if i was GM I would clear out a few older guys and sign a couple of free agent 2/3 centers to help carry the load as the kids grow. Then I went to check Capfriendly to see who was available and .....I got nothing??

Reactions: Surfshop

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This looks like a prediction thread, so I'll say minor changes from a GM who has no grasp on reality.

Last summer he kept with the "We'd have been a good playoff team if we'd made it"-story, which tells me he hasn't actually watched a playoff game.

This year he emptied the cupboard of tradeable assets and refused to face reality at the deadline.

We're boned. He just got an extension, so he's probably not getting fired. If we're lucky we get to watch NJ pick top-ten with our pick, and maybe get a coaching change if he can find someone dumb or inexperienced enough to be willing to work for him.

Reactions: Surfshop

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I was about to write that if i was GM I would clear out a few older guys and sign a couple of free agent 2/3 centers to help carry the load as the kids grow. Then I went to check Capfriendly to see who was available and .....I got nothing??

Yeah, Soderberg might be the best UFA center out there :laugh:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What’s really amazing is that Chayka sat their in front of the camera at the deadline and said, “We believe in this group. We think this is a good group that deserves a shot...we haven’t been getting the results but we think we’re trending the right way.” What in the f*** would make you think that John? We know Chayka looks at stats...why would he sit there and say some shit like that when basically ALL of the advanced metrics point to the exact opposite being true...you have been trending the WRONG direction for quite some time. It’s so damn confusing to me that he could sit there and say that and actually believe a word of it. I don’t get it.

I think that this is the right type of group overall. Maybe a minor change to a roster spot or two here or there would be helpful.

As weird as this sounds, maybe the worst possible thing was to have Hall be responsible for that win over San Jose in his first game with us. It was almost like everyone just sort of breathed a sigh of relief when that happens and the players just kind of went into cruise control. Unfortunately, cruise control for most of our roster is not the same cruise control as say, a player like Hall. Couple that with the whole message from Tocchet: "Taylor, you play your game and we will adjust to you."

No wonder Hall's interviews talk about how much he likes Tocchet as a coach - he basically looks at you as the knight in shining armor and is willing to fit things around you. NO!!!! NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. For the first game, make that the point, but then immediately do the following:

1. Get Hall up to date on your system. Some minor changes will occur because of the talent, but don't make it so that we have to change things around to accommodate one player.

2. Have a team meeting in which the first thing out of your mouth is the idea that it only gets harder from here. Before, we were a team that maybe was taken lightly or maybe wasn't the primary focus of other teams. Once you add Hall, every team is changing their game plans around us as well. Address the fact that what you have done to this point is good, but we have to be even better now. We made the noise that we want to contend, so we also have to back that up with knowing that wanting to contend means sharpening everything up.

We did neither of those things. We became even more of what some said we didn't want with Tippett: a country club

Get rid of Tocchet and Housley. Promote Varady to an assistant position.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If they make the playoffs Tocc/staff likely stay
If they miss the playoffs (likely) - Tocc/staff have to go

Trading OEL or Keller would be similar to selling stock currently. You're selling at a loss, but don't know how much more of a loss if you hold on longer.

Chayka's reputation, and more importantly job, are at risk if he doesn't make bold moves with the staff and roster. The team must get tougher.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Yep, perfect world, we would keep both Hall and Soderberg. Soderberg at $4 M per year for 2 years is actually still a pretty good signing.

No way Hall stays with this team.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If they make the playoffs Tocc/staff likely stay
If they miss the playoffs (likely) - Tocc/staff have to go

Trading OEL or Keller would be similar to selling stock currently. You're selling at a loss, but don't know how much more of a loss if you hold on longer.

Chayka's reputation, and more importantly job, are at risk if he doesn't make bold moves with the staff and roster. The team must get tougher.
If you are selling stock now and buying different stock that you think could rebound quicker would that help?

Reactions: MIG

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
This season reeks of lack of leadership. I'm not a "fire the coach" person just because you see it all the time in the NHL these days and it rarely fixes many of the problems, but I can't see any other way around it at this point unless you can get rid of the player leaders. The leadership on this team needs to be purged in the worst way. Chayka does seem to value character when he drafts so maybe there's hope that he sees some of the problems even though he puts out a different message for the media.

I'd be fine with any or all of the following moves:
  1. Tocchet, MacLean, Housley can gtfo. Bring in Boudreau, Gallant, or Laviolette. I'd love to keep Peters and Schwab and give them raises, but would defer to the new coach.
  2. Any/all of OEL, Stepan, Goligoski, Kessel, and Demers can gtfo. I keep Hammer for sure, and I think Richardson is a real pro and leader but I don't know if he can play at an NHL level anymore so offer him the veteran's minimum or let him walk.
  3. Find players through free agency or trades that have proven to be high character leaders to fill the gaps.
  4. Bring up 1-2 Roadrunners who will work their asses off and do anything to stay in the NHL. Burke and Pederson are both PPG players, give them a shot. Fasching and Bunting are also candidates.
  5. Give Chychrun the C, then give As to two of Hammer, Crouse, and Garland.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The thing I want most is for Meruelo to fire Chayka and hire Lombardi. The rest will take care of itself from that point onward.
I like Lombardi but he handcuffed the LA Kings for years after their cup wins with golden parachute retirements.

Then again he brought them two championships...

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I like Lombardi but he handcuffed the LA Kings for years after their cup wins with golden parachute retirements.

Then again he brought them two championships...

Hextall with Lombardi as President would be the ideal scenario IMO

I don't know how much of Chayka's faff he gives to the local media is just a confidence bluff or if he genuinely is lost down the KoolAid well. I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

Meruelo can't be a hands off dope in all of this. He needs to get his Dundon on and recognize when change is necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad