Will there be a body count? (Craig plsread)

Will there be a body count when the playoffs are missed?

• There will be no changes

• Only Tocchet will be fired

• Only Chayka will be fired

• Tocchet and Chayka will be fired

• Core players will be traded

• Minor personnel moves will be made (IE non-core players, support staff)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
What’s really amazing is that Chayka sat their in front of the camera at the deadline and said, “We believe in this group. We think this is a good group that deserves a shot...we haven’t been getting the results but we think we’re trending the right way.” What in the f*** would make you think that John? We know Chayka looks at stats...why would he sit there and say some shit like that when basically ALL of the advanced metrics point to the exact opposite being true...you have been trending the WRONG direction for quite some time. It’s so damn confusing to me that he could sit there and say that and actually believe a word of it. I don’t get it.
You don't go out to a post trade deadline press conference and torch your coaches and players. That's not leadership, you do that in the locker room face-to-face.

Reactions: moosemeister

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Muerello just signed Chayka to an extension, he won't get shot this summer. I don't see Muerello bringing in somebody over Chayka either. Chayka will blame Tocc for the under performance of his great roster moves. All we can really hope for is Tocc being let go. Chayka then needs to hire a proven vet NHL coach, not an experiment. This is step one to determine if a new coach can get more out of existing guys. The new coach needs to be involved with determining who to keep and who to trade. We might have the wrong mix of players but Chayka basically determined the mix, so I don't have confidence in his ability to evaluate what we should do now or make major changes.

I always knew there was risk in hiring an unproven and inexperienced very young GM, and an unproven coach at the NHL level. This is what can happen.

Reactions: Surfshop

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Wait, so the poll question is not what should be done, rather, it's what we expect will be done, right? That's why I voted for minor personnel moves. There will be plenty of half-baked excuses bandied about, but knowing this franchise, will anything really change?
The poll question is what "will" be done...not what "should". I answered accordingly. If the OP wanted "should" answers, mine would have been VERY different.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I suspect we'll just move players like Grabner and probably some one on defense to make room for Söderström. It wouldn't shock me if they moved one of Oesterle or Lyubushkin because one of the higher priced D are too hard to move without some other valuable asset, but obviously I'd prefer Oesterle/Lyubuskin over keeping Goligoski and to a lesser extent Demers.

If Hall does resign here, then I suspect more moves to occur. Grabner, Fischer, and Hinostroza seem least likely to be kept. If Hall goes elsewhere, I just don't foresee there being much to force other moves.

Craig Morgan seems insistent that Tocchet's job is safe, so until I hear otherwise, I'll lower my expectations for a coaching change. At best I see MacLean being let go. If you break down the teams' failures, just improving the powerplay to a respectable level would likely have gotten us into the playoffs, so I expect a new assistant to come in who they promote as here to fix that. I agree with addressing that, but don't think switching out one assistant is enough to cover for all the other issues stemming from the coaching side.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
It’s becoming more and more clear to me that at the start of next season, Tocchet and OEL cannot both be here...I think only one will, and it’s up to Chayka and Meruelo to decide which one. If they’re going to give Tocchet another year, then I think OEL will be gone. If they take away the C from him it will not sit well and he will want to be gone anyway...so a trade is inevitable. There will be a leadership change on this team one way or another. My gut feeling is that Tocchet will be here and OEL will be out of town in the offseason. Kessel is a question mark. I don’t know if Tocchet will give time the “look buddy, it just didn’t work out, sorry” talk, or if he’ll give him one more year to play with some new players. I think there’s a very strong chance that OEL, Demers, and Stepan are going to be shipped out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d like to see OEL go to Colorado. Maybe take back Ian Cole for salary reasons. Cole+Newhook+1st for OEL?

Chayka is an idiot for not firing Tocchet. Chayka is a f***ing idiot for not trading Hall at the TDL when it was clear the Yotes were out of it. it sucks so much that Hall is definitely leaving. Still...

COL:
OEL

ARI:
Cole
Newhook
2020 1st
————
Any Team:
Goligoski

Arizona:
2020 3rd
————
FLA:
Kessel

ARI:
Yandle
————
OTT:
Stepan
Hinostroza
Oesterle
2021 2nd

ARI:
Tierney

Reactions: Lilhoody

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It’s becoming more and more clear to me that at the start of next season, Tocchet and OEL cannot both be here...I think only one will, and it’s up to Chayka and Meruelo to decide which one. If they’re going to give Tocchet another year, then I think OEL will be gone. If they take away the C from him it will not sit well and he will want to be gone anyway...so a trade is inevitable. There will be a leadership change on this team one way or another. My gut feeling is that Tocchet will be here and OEL will be out of town in the offseason. Kessel is a question mark. I don’t know if Tocchet will give time the “look buddy, it just didn’t work out, sorry” talk, or if he’ll give him one more year to play with some new players. I think there’s a very strong chance that OEL, Demers, and Stepan are going to be shipped out.
OEL has an NMC, he will be here next year. I agree, OEL has never played well under Tocc and it took them a year to give him the C. I think it has affected OEL negatively. The roster has gotten better each year but the team has not, that means there is a coaching problem.

The player solution isn't to unload all the vets. Stepan/Goose/Demers/Richardson/Kessel aren't all leaving. Richardson might be done now, I can see him gone. Stepan is still solid, but he is over paid, it will take a sweetener to get rid of him. Goose/Demers have had solid years. They are both movable but we also need vet D men. Who would want Kessel, we are stuck with him.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
OEL has an NMC, he will be here next year. I agree, OEL has never played well under Tocc and it took them a year to give him the C. I think it has affected OEL negatively. The roster has gotten better each year but the team has not, that means there is a coaching problem.

The player solution isn't to unload all the vets. Stepan/Goose/Demers/Richardson/Kessel aren't all leaving. Richardson might be done now, I can see him gone. Stepan is still solid, but he is over paid, it will take a sweetener to get rid of him. Goose/Demers have had solid years. They are both movable but we also need vet D men. Who would want Kessel, we are stuck with him.

If they tell OEL they are pulling his captaincy, I guarantee you he’ll ok a trade. Richie is for sure gone. I think Chayka will do everything he can to unload Demers and Stepan. I think Kessel is a question mark but my guess is he’ll still be here. I think Goligoski will probably be here as well and maybe get moved at the deadline depending on how the team is doing.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Canis said:
Craig Morgan seems insistent that Tocchet's job is safe
He also completely ignored Tippett job-jeopardy rumours for weeks, and announced he was at the draft table literally moments before real reporters from other markets announced Tipp was fired, soo...

Morgan knows only what the want him to print when they want him to print it.

But I also don't find it hard to believe that Chayka is so in love with himself that he thinks next year will be just fine with minor tweaks.

Which is why I hope both go after the draft.

Reactions: 0point1

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Tocchet will be fired and there will be big moves.

Chayka has made big moves every offseason and hasn't been afraid to move big pieces. I just hope he doesnt do anything dumb ala Domi for Galchenyuk or a 1st and three prospects for a rental.........

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Offersheet Barzal, then work trade of either or both with the Islanders.
I didn't realize he was RFA this year. Give him 14M a year. Dump Stepan, Grabner, Goligoski and Oesterle.

If we cant find anyone to take them, then bury their contracts in the AHL. Hopefully they would then demand a release like Bogosian.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I see us re-tooling this summer and re-defining the core. Need offense, goal scoring and grit.

My wacky trade offer - OEL for Stamkos.

Build around Schmaltz, Keller, DVO, Garland, Chychrun and Kemps. Hayton & Soderstrom on the way.

Recoup what you can for Hall before FA. Ask him if he's not staying where hed like to go. Ship him there for whatever they'll offer for exclusive rights to negotiate and sign him.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
I see us re-tooling this summer and re-defining the core. Need offense, goal scoring and grit.

My wacky trade offer - OEL for Stamkos.

Build around Schmaltz, Keller, DVO, Garland, Chychrun and Kemps. Hayton & Soderstrom on the way.

Recoup what you can for Hall before FA. Ask him if he's not staying where hed like to go. Ship him there for whatever they'll offer for exclusive rights to negotiate and sign him.

what?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I still say the story Chayka will spin will be Kuemper getting hurt. "We lost our starting goal tender when we were in 1st place". Same excuse he used after Raanta was acquired and got hurt.

He's counting on the fans being stupid I guess. All of our goalies have been solid. Even Hill. Although he went 2-4-3, he gave up only 2.62 and .918 sv%.

The key stat, as mentioned last game, is scoring 3 goals. When we score 3 or more we have a very high win percentage, otherwise we don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad