Will the Panthers let the Leafs make the playoffs?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Western wildcard teams are going to have like 90 points. I don't want to hear a peep about an Eastern team making the playoffs because of a weak division.

As long as whoever ends up 3rd in the Atlantic has more points than 6th in the Metro then there’s no problem.

If Columbus/Carolina/Philly etc. finish 6th in the metro with more points than 3rd in Atlantic and miss out on the playoffs that’s extremely weak.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
No one else is good enough in the division and Florida can’t do **** when it matters, Bobrovsky stinks.
Toronto will make the playoffs in a walk even if they don’t have a good record

Atlantic sucks

upload_2020-2-14_15-44-30.png

upload_2020-2-14_15-44-3.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
As long as whoever ends up 3rd in the Atlantic has more points than 6th in the Metro then there’s no problem.

If Columbus/Carolina/Philly etc. finish 6th in the metro with more points than 3rd in Atlantic and miss out on the playoffs that’s extremely weak.
Blame Gary Bettman for wanting a Wild Card system instead of having the top 4 teams from each division making the playoffs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What do you mean let the Leafs make the playoffs?
2 teams that can realistically take the 3rd spot in the Atlantic and one of them is currently playing like shit so Toronto is getting in even if they are struggling.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh, I'm sorry, I didnt know youre bad at math.

The LA Kings with 45 points is worse than either Buffalo (60) or Ottawa (49)

The San Jose Sharks (52) and Anaheim Ducks (53) are also worse than Buffalo (60)
The funny thing is among the Atlantic teams tomorrow is only the 3rd time this season Toronto's playing Ottawa and so far both their wins against them were not easy or a guarantee.

They are also 2-1 vs Buffalo and their next game against Detroit happens to be their 81st game of the regular season.

Reactions: AvroArrow

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Blame Gary Bettman for wanting a Wild Card system instead of having the top 4 teams from each division making the playoffs.

Top 4 teams from each division would be even worse. Should be division winners seeded 1-2 and then then the next 6 best teams or something like that. Basically there’s no way a team with more points than another team should be on the outside looking in because of divisional seeding or whatever

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Top 4 teams from each division would be even worse. Should be division winners seeded 1-2 and then then the next 6 best teams or something like that. Basically there’s no way a team with more points than another team should be on the outside looking in because of divisional seeding or whatever
Prior to 1994 that's exactly what the NHL use to do for making the playoffs when they used the division format.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I used to really enjoy division winners getting top seeds then the rest in the conference. I thought it was great. Right now, things feel kind of stale for me. It would also be dumb for the 3rd seed ATL to get in with less points than the 6th seed MET if that happens.

Not sure if it was travel related or rivalry/entertainment driven, but I don't like the new system.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Western wildcard teams are going to have like 90 points. I don't want to hear a peep about an Eastern team making the playoffs because of a weak division.
Agreed about the west but it’s a fact that if you’re in the Atlantic you have a much much better chance than if you were in the metro. You might need 4-5 points more when all is said and done if the leafs or panthers were in metro. That’s a big difference

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
2 teams that can realistically take the 3rd spot in the Atlantic and one of them is currently playing like **** so Toronto is getting in even if they are struggling.

I mean the season isn't over...I think the Leafs are still on a 96 pt pace...

No offence OP but this thread is like saying the climate isn't getting warmer because it's a very cold day.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I used to really enjoy division winners getting top seeds then the rest in the conference. I thought it was great. Right now, things feel kind of stale for me. It would also be dumb for the 3rd seed ATL to get in with less points than the 6th seed MET if that happens.

Not sure if it was travel related or rivalry/entertainment driven, but I don't like the new system.
When the NHL had the 1-8 system how many times did the Southeast Division team finish in 3rd with less points compared to the team who finished 4th? I know that happened in 2002 because Carolina got 91 points and Toronto got 100 points. Both teams played each other in the Eastern Conference Final and despite Toronto having more points, Carolina had home ice due to winning their division.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Atlantic a part from Boston, Tampa and Toronto is terrible.
Toronto on paper has some tremendous talent but if they were in the metro they would probably finish 5th maybe even 6th if the jackets didn’t get ravaged with injuries in last week or so

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

The "Top 8 teams in each conference" system wasn't broken.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Yeah, going a bit more towards baseballs format is the right idea. Win your division and you are rewarded with a top seed. Don’t win the division? No problem. Just be better than the other teams and you’ll get in the playoffs. The tough thing in the mlb is that you play a bazillion games within your division so if it’s super strong you are fighting all the way to get in and if it’s weak, a mediocre team can bank a ton of easy wins. Nothing’s perfect though.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Agreed about the west but it’s a fact that if you’re in the Atlantic you have a much much better chance than if you were in the metro. You might need 4-5 points more when all is said and done if the leafs or panthers were in metro. That’s a big difference

I honestly do not understand the hysteria by Metro teams. Yes, that division is the toughest right now. However, it's still close enough that an ATL team could nab a wildcard. This just happens to be a moment when things seem very uneven. I bet by the time the playoffs come around, we're looking at a much more normalized situation with Florida or Toronto either a point or two out, or in that last WC spot.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Isn’t this the same shit every year with the panthers? If they don’t get that third seed in the Atlantic i don’t wanna hear any excuses. New “top” tier goalie and HOF coach

Reactions: Balthazar

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I honestly do not understand the hysteria by Metro teams. Yes, that division is the toughest right now. However, it's still close enough that an ATL team could nab a wildcard. This just happens to be a moment when things seem very uneven. I bet by the time the playoffs come around, we're looking at a much more normalized situation with Florida or Toronto either a point or two out, or in that last WC spot.
It’s mostly because their are 6 legit teams fighting it out in the metro (even 7 if you wanna count the Rangers). That makes it seriously harder to make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad