Will the Panthers let the Leafs make the playoffs?

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Just look at my post history, while I’ve been in the forums for almost two full decades the recent post history has it all.

I’ll go over it though since you asked....It’s still really close which I’ve always contended but I feel Eichels had the better season, averaging more points per 60 in all situations, has five more game winning goals, has about the same number of even strength points, has more points, assists in two less games. Matthews may of been ahead marginally in other seasons but eichel is that now, his team has also scored fiftyish fewer goals and doesn’t have a 90 pt winger like Auston. He has significantly been better defensively leading offensive zone possession numbers and transition rush numbers in the entire league simultaneously (moving the puck from d to O the most times in the league is a good part Of defense obviously) Alison backchecking like a beast the last two years more so this year while Matthews was a bit better defensively in others years definitely but this season Matthews has been better under Keefe in that regard he still coughed up the puck a couple games in a row at key moments in early December while Jack hasn’t done such things this year. More consistent with defense, leadership and most statistics. Eichels always got harder matchups as he’s the only sabre to check As toronto has Tavares so it’s mostly Matthews with the hardest but not always. Time on ice (a minute more) again doesn’t matter too much given teammates those harder matchups and points per 60 in all situations being better anyway. He has more Hits, but Matthews leads a bit in shot blocks faceoffs and even strength per 60, while eich leads in most of the stuff listed above. Eichel also has an astounding points in 37 of his last 41 games! Which may be first in the NHL (for least amount of games without a point)! and if it’s not i would imagine only someone like draisaitl has more in that time period

eichel just hit 200 career assists in just under 359 games along with his 13pish goals and has even had a player on his team get 70 points in his entire tenure. So because of all that him, I know people will point to team success but hockey is a team game and when you only play one third of a game like both these guys the other teammates. After significantly and at the end of the day they’re both won the same playoff series numbers anyhow and mcdavid is 1/4 in the playoffs in his career so again the better team argument is kind of moot considering that. He’s had a much better surrounding roster in this time but his goals citing is obviously impressive.’Again it’s close, just how I feel since you asked.

200 assists in 359 games. Is that considered good these days?

That averages to only 45 assists in a full 82-game season.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I would like to see the Islanders miss because that would be considered a failure since they had that 15 game point streak earlier this season and you would have thought that made them a guarantee to make the playoffs.

Islanders might miss, but it looks very likely two Metro teams will take the Wild Card spots, while the Panthers grab the final Atlantic spot

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Toronto is still not out of the playoff picture in the Atlantic just because the Panthers passed them tonight, so nothing is set in stone.
The Leafs are playing really poorly right now. I don't think we can expect them to continue being this bad for the rest of the season, especially Andersen. That being said, Florida and the teams in the wild card hunt could go on a run too. I wont pretend to know which of those teams looks good right now though.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Toronto is still not out of the playoff picture in the Atlantic just because the Panthers passed them tonight, so nothing is set in stone.

Toronto has had one of the easiest schedules in the league, and despite that have been doing really poorly the last 18 games. The road is only getting more uphill.

Plus if you factor in how bad they were doing before Babcock was fired, the only stretch they’ve looked good was the first 10-15 games after Keefe took over. Probably an anomaly for this season.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

In buffalo? A team who hasn’t scored many goals and had another player even hit seventy points in his tenure? And it’s his first five seasons from 18-23 yes that’s damn good considering he also has like 130ish goals. How many players in lowest so ring teams in the league from 18-23 get at least 45 ore more assists in a season since that’s what your average was? That’s a lot especially when you consider he’s returned from two sprained ankles and always faces the best competition don’t act like it’s not.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Matthews 123 assists in 273 games. Playing with far better players.

Its close, but if I could only have one or the other on my team. I take Eichel.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ask Marner how the weather in Toronto is

Mitch : "we know we have the skill"

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I thought the leafs were top 5 contenders and had a top 5 D corps???
Nobody who knows anything about hockey ever though this was a top 5 D corps.

Off the top of my head.................Blues, Bruins, Lightening, Knights, Flames, Pens, Caps, Aves, Preds, Sharks, Islanders, Stars all better blue lines.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Maybe instead of signing Tavares, the Leafs should have allocated some of that cap space to defensemen.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Maybe instead of signing Tavares, the Leafs should have allocated some of that cap space to defensemen.
Oh for sure.

JT is a lock to get his point a game over a season. Some how he does that without really making the team any better?

The Islanders have been a better team without him. The leafs are not a better one with him.

I would be a more baffled by that had a friend of mine not predicted it the right after JT signed with Tortonto.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Leafs are playing really poorly right now. I don't think we can expect them to continue being this bad for the rest of the season, especially Andersen. That being said, Florida and the teams in the wild card hunt could go on a run too. I wont pretend to know which of those teams looks good right now though.
Both teams are a tire fire in their own end.

I will put my money on Panthers as they have a physically stronger team for the tough grinding style of hockey that is played from here on in. Bigger team. They will continue to win more games in regulation While the leafs will continue to play little kid hockey. 3 on 3s and shoot outs.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Maybe instead of signing Bobrovsky, Florida should’ve allocated some of that cap space to defensemen.
yes, similar teams . Which ever one make it to play offs....... one and done anyways.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2