OT: Will the Oilers break the Pens' 17-game win streak record?

When does this Oilers win streak stop?

• Total voters

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It'd be cool if it never got broken and survived 100s of years...or however long the league lasts.
I'll be honest, I don't think it will. And not because I'm down on the Pens, it's just that there's going to be another combination of weak NHL schedule (during expansion perhaps) and a single dominant team of its era in its prime. It's gonna happen. I don't see the record going that much higher though.

The only NHL record I think will never be broken is Lemieux's "5 goals in 5 ways."

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'll be honest, I don't think it will. And not because I'm down on the Pens, it's just that there's going to be another combination of weak NHL schedule (during expansion perhaps) and a single dominant team of its era in its prime. It's gonna happen. I don't see the record going that much higher though.

The only NHL record I think will never be broken is Lemieux's "5 goals in 5 ways."
Agreed. It's already been heavily threatened a few times in the last 30 years. Seems very unlikely to last another century+.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Gretzky's 51 game point streak and his 215pt season will also never be matched.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Hopefully they lose soon. It's a matter of franchise pride that the pens have both the regular season (17) and playoff (14) winning streak records.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
How much of the Oilers streak is due to the coaching change? How much is it due to McDavid and Draisatl getting their act together? How much is it due to them getting goaltending that doesn't resemble week-old roadkill?

I doubt anyone can definitively determine the answers to those questions.

I also don't think anyone knows how good or bad of coaches Jay Woodcroft or Kris Knoblauch are because of Edmonton's unique roster composition.

I bet Vegas beats them to stop them just short.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
How much of the Oilers streak is due to the coaching change? How much is it due to McDavid and Draisatl getting their act together? How much is it due to them getting goaltending that doesn't resemble week-old roadkill?

I doubt anyone can definitively determine the answers to those questions.

I also don't think anyone knows how good or bad of coaches Jay Woodcroft or Kris Knoblauch are because of Edmonton's unique roster composition.

I bet Vegas beats them to stop them just short.
This is about as clear of a case of a coaching bump as we've seen in the last 30 years. All facets of their game improved not long after he took over.
This is the best we've seen the Oil defend in the McDavid era.
If we're discrediting Knoblauch here then we can do that for nearly all coaching change turnarounds we'll see in our lives. That's not really a road I care to go down.

Knoblauch is 26-6-0 and Woodcroft was 3-9-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad