Will the NHL ever have a female GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Men have men's teams, women have women's teams.

:facepalm:

Let me guess, men have mens jobs (i.e. army, CEO, construction worker, etc.) too right? The thread topic is good, but comments like this are just so damn ignorant. Men coach and manage women's hockey teams but when the opposite is suggested where a woman would be coaching or (in this case) managing a men's team then people say women belong in their own women's league...stay classy HF :shakehead

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
When there is a job opening, and a woman wants the job, and she is the most qualified. Then we will have a female GM. Eventually those things will all line up.

Not exactly a lot of NHL GM positions available though, and considering there are more opportunities for men to gain experience, more opportunities to network, and I would assume more men actively trying to acquire the positions, the odds aren't too good right now. Not that the odds are good for anybody, just based on the numbers.

TrustyPatches*

:facepalm:

Let me guess, men have mens jobs (i.e. army, CEO, construction worker, etc.) too right? The thread topic is good, but comments like this are just so damn ignorant
Seeing how men are naturally stronger than women yes there are "mens jobs"

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Seeing how men are naturally stronger than women yes there are "mens jobs"

And this post wins the thread guys :handclap:

Those jobs I mentioned aren't 'mens jobs' just because men excel at it...go look at the requirement for each of those jobs and you'll see being a man isn't a prerequisite, the same goes for being a GM. What you're implying is gender discrimination here. I know a couple women who are in the army and they love it there, I see many women who are high-up in their company, and in some rare cases even CEOs of their own companies too...just because the odds are stacked against them doesn't mean those are 'mens jobs'

edit: lirl...putting your life on the line and defending your country is a man's job :facepalm:...in most cases, imo women would be able to do most jobs men could at a different level of efficiency (for better or worse)

TrustyPatches*

And this post wins the thread guys :handclap:

Those jobs I mentioned aren't 'mens jobs' just because men excel at it...go look at the requirement for each of those jobs and you'll see being a man isn't a prerequisite, the same goes for being a GM. What you're implying is gender discrimination here. I know a couple women who are in the army and they love it there, I see many women who are high-up in their company, and in some rare cases even CEOs of their own companies too...just because the odds are stacked against them doesn't mean those are 'mens jobs'
Wait so you want to hire less qualified people for a job just because of "equality"?

Ralphy*

I don't see why there couldn't be a female GM.

There are female leaders of businesses, cities, provinces, states, and even countries.

Gender does not define your qualification for a job.

So yes.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Wait so you want to hire less qualified people for a job just because of "equality"?

How do you know a woman is less-qualified though...based on your post its because she's not a man

Since when is it a prerequisite to be a man in order to be a GM? do you have a source for that form of gender discrimination or did you just make it up?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It will happen at some point.

But networking, more accurately being part of a network, is arguably the most important asset in getting a GM job. That puts women at a huge disadvantage right from the start.

Ralphy*

People saying "there are men for men's teams and women for women's teams" are the same people who would have treated Jackie Robinson like ****.

Race, class, gender, culture, religion, etc. don't define your ability to perform a task as well or better than somebody else.

TrustyPatches*

How do you know a woman is less-qualified though...based on your post its because she's not a man

Since when is it a prerequisite to be a man in order to be a GM? do you have a source for that form of gender discrimination or did you just make it up?
Well out of the "mens jobs" you listed i would assume strength would be a requirement so obviously I'd want stronger people.
Also you did nothing to answer my question...

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Could see it happening through the player agent route. Or potentially an ex-olympian rising through the ranks of Hockey Canada. Theres a few potential avenues for sure.

Ralphy*

Well out of the "mens jobs" you listed i would assume strength would be a requirement so obviously I'd want stronger people.
Also you did nothing to answer my question...

First of all, how the hell is a requirement for a CEO strength? Do you list your bench press stats beside your Education and past work experience?

Second of all, just because men are naturally predisposed to be stronger than women, doesn't mean that ALL men are stronger than ALL women. My female cousin is probably the strongest person in my entire family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad