Will the NHL ever have a female GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Men have men's teams, women have women's teams.

There is zero reason why only men are qualified to manage a men's hockey team. And of course you are not correct in thinking that only women participate in the management of women's hockey teams.

This is actually an interesting question. If there's a woman who has a special knack for this work and works her way up through the ranks, then I see no reason why not. Many great GMs never played in the NHL, so that isn't a requirement.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
A female GM when there will never be a female player? I doubt it.

What does one has to do with the other? Anyway, I don't see it happening.

Unless I become the Habs GM one day. I would create polls on HF and base my decisions on the results.

Reactions: 278 others

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Maybe, but there will always be a man with more qualifications to be a GM. Unless she becomes a GM and does well, but then she will be the only one.

A woman could easily be an owner though.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Okay being real, if a woman has all the qualities that a team looks for, she'll be considered and eventually there probably will be a woman in management, GM, VP, or what not.

Don't know about it being soon though. There's nothing stopping them from eventually reaching that position or being considered for it.

Maybe, but there will always be a man with more qualifications to be a GM.

Awesome argument dude. Clearly not flawed.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Why not? As someone else pointed out, playing the game isn't a requirement to being a GM.

If the U.S. military can start allowing females to attend combat related jobs then the NHL can allow a female GM someday.

Phaneufed

We The North
Dec 24, 2006
Calgary
Yes this will definitely happen, no question in my mind. "Ever" is a long time. I'm sure there are many qualified women who could be GM's right now..

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Okay. What a president of hockey operations. Lots of very successfull female CEO's.

She'd probably have to start at the absolute bottom and work her way all the way up. Nobody's going to just give a businesswoman that when they can give it to a former player or someone else with GM experience. It's too important of a position. Of course it could happen but she has to be in the league for a very long time.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
"Ever" is a long time, so I'm going to say the answer is "yes." It'll probably take a long time though, IMO, since professional hockey is still largely an old boys network, and generally GMs originally became members of the club by playing competitive men's hockey at some level.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Maybe, but there will always be a man with more qualifications to be a GM. Unless she becomes a GM and does well, but then she will be the only one.

A woman could easily be an owner though.
And then, it's only because he's a man.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Awesome argument dude. Clearly not flawed.

But it's true... To be a GM a woman would have to work her way up in the front office of a team without having any experience in men's hockey.

And then there's the fact that the number of men looking for the same job would outnumber her by 99.999%

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
racehelphelps_display_image.jpg

Aceonfire*

Does Katz have a daughter? If so then probably.

Realistically it won't happen any time soon. It would take someone like Hayley Wickenheiser running Hockey Canada for a while and building a reputation.

This isn't about men's sport, women's sport etc..

But to be a GM that involves scouting, drafting, development etc..

It would be difficult for a woman to have a track record enough to be hired without somehow being around an organization.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Maybe, but only if she is well qualified to take the position, not because of feminist demands for gender equality.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Yeah sure, ever is a long time but hopefully within 50 years.

Why hopefully?

If there is a female who has the skills to be an NHL GM, then yes hopefully. If there isn't a female with those skills then hopefully not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad