Will the NHL ever have a female GM?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by MISC*, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeafsLegendAkiBerg

LeafsLegendAkiBerg The original great 8

Well, at least he's honest.

2. Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon Registered Bruiser

There won't be any high-ranking female executives before female players, I think.

3. anders and

anders and Registered User

Cool, remember hearing of that. Manon Rhéaume, played 2 games for Bolts in 93 and 94.

4. Invictus12

Invictus12 Registered User

She'd need to be competent though. Otherwise, she's just a puppet for marketing reasons. (A scapegoat if things go south) So, hopefully, that wouldn't be the case.

Same with Hillary. Too many folks get caught up in the brand name as oppose to quality, say, Elizabeth Warren?

5. torero

torero Registered User

hockey games couch potato
    Home Page:
    I agree with the above, only in terms of increasing the probability, therefore the fist ones will likely be of a similar situation.

But, hockey is still very much a "macho" affair. And it is also a very very conservative environment.

So until we see this happening ...some water will flow under bridges. But as someone was saying ... never is a long time.

6. Jesus Christ Horburn

Jesus Christ Horburn Registered User

Remember when people said there'd never be a black hockey player? Asian? Indian? Or gay athletes? Or female coach? Or even a European NHL GM?

It will happen.

7. LeafsLegendAkiBerg

LeafsLegendAkiBerg The original great 8

I take offense to this. I am about as pro-woman as you can get and I've outlined my reasons why I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I think it should happen and I want it to happen, but I'm not as optimistic as some others in this thread. As much as things have progressed, there's nowhere close to gender equality in the workplace and this is amplified in a male dominated field like hockey.

They were exhibition games, but still noteworthy.

8. puckyeah

puckyeah .

If the Oilers hired a woman GM tomorrow, would they really lose MORE games? :laugh:

9. FinnBruin

FinnBruin Registered User

Some of the best female players have played in men's leagues and AFAIK would be allowed to play in the NHL, so technically it's not even a ''men's league''.

So if you think women shouldn't be allowed to manage or coach, what about other, ''lesser'' staff members? Physiotherapists? Team doctors? How's that any different from being GM or coach in this regard?

10. SB164

SB164 Registered User

Your country's chancellor probably the world's most powerful woman.

11. GlassesJacketShirt

GlassesJacketShirt Formerly known as BLASPHEMOUS

Well that's not really a hard question. One could argue a giraffe would do every bit as well, if not better: the extended neck, along with a highly developed sense of sight, gives the giraffe a better vantage point for assessing play on a visual level.

12. Hospy

Hospy Registered User

"ever" is a pretty long time, so I'll go with yes.

13. Bowie Horvat

Bowie Horvat BowieYzermanFanatic

Circular Logic Referee
    If you ask yourself if a little girl could ever make the NHL you have to answer yes, I see the participation in Canada higher than it has ever been, it's moore's law one of those girls will have the physicality and talent to make the pro's in a fashion that is not ignorable by tradition.

Eventually that leads to the Management as well.

Sports I never see having women:

Football
    Rugby

Every other sport I can imagine a all star girl making the leagues one day, arguable there already is.

14. sparkycircuit

sparkycircuit Registered User

As a women in a male dominated field who is young and relatively successful, I hope it'll happen. Whether the old boy's club lets it happen is another matter entirely. My gender has nothing to do with how qualified I am. It does, however, have a whole hell of a lot to do with how much rope I'm given to hang myself with- something that will be especially true if/when this happens, and whoever it happens to.

But I do hope it happens.

15. DayoftheGreek

DayoftheGreek Registered User

I think that is a really poor use of Moore's law. Unless there is another Moore I've never heard of. Who also has a law.

16. sirwilliam

sirwilliam Assume it's sarcasm

When a person uses this disclaimer, it's a sure sign that they're about to say something sexist.

:laugh:

17. UnknownNasty

UnknownNasty Registered User

I was saying that I wasn't trying to be sexist, or offend anyone.

18. JayKing

JayKing Go Habs Go

Are there any in The CHL or midget AAA?

are there any female scouts in the NHL or CHL?

19. CrypTic

CrypTic Registered User

If you're going to use Hillary as a comparison, I think it would be more apt to say the daughter of a GM (or hands-on owner, etc.) would have a chance. Hillary gets an exception not because she was married to Bill, per se, but because she was so hands-on in his campaigns, developing his policies, making decisions, etc. She was an integral (and high level) part of his team. If she were a hands-off spouse (in terms of the actual policy and political decisions), I don't think she'd have the credibility merely bc she was married to a former president. Similarly, if a GM's kid were very interested in the hands-on aspects of running a team (and made important contacts, etc.) and learned those things as a result of being a GM's kid, I think at least some orgs might be interested in hiring them in the front office. Then they could work their way up.

Edit to add: It would be similar to Pelosi, who was involved in politics at an early age because of her father, Tommy D'Alesandro (a Congressman and mayor of Baltimore).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  20. sirwilliam

sirwilliam Assume it's sarcasm

I see the GM position as having five major components:

-Player management & assessment (contracts, signings, etc)
    -Drafting & development
    -Trades & relationships with other GMs
    -Staff management (scouting staff, coaches, etc)
    -Fiscal management (cap, payroll, bonuses)

NONE of those tasks require a Y chromosome to be competitive. There are loads of competent women in the hockey world... analysts, coaches, GMs, players.

I'm excited for the day we see a female coach / president / GM, and I think it will happen.

21. UnknownNasty

Alright, I'll admit you're partly right, but think about this. If a woman was as good a GM as, let's say, Ken Holland, would she get the same level of respect as Ken Holland? I highly doubt it. I'll give you an example from when I played. We had a woman as a coach for one year, and the guys played horrible and didn't listen at all compared to when we had a male coach.

22. UnknownNasty

I couldn't agree more with you, you get it. You guys have to be more realistic.

23. DetBigWangs

DetBigWangs Registered User

Ken Holland sex change operation to be confirmed (e4).

24. SmytheKing

SmytheKing Registered User

Feel free to be offended. My comment wasn't directed at you at all. It was directed towards people who said it won't ever happen. You'll notice their reasons have everything to do with things other than a woman's ability to draft/scout/lead/direct/organize.

25. PM

PM Glass not 1/2 full

Most GMs have played in the NHL before, were previously an NHL agent, have some direct relation to an ex-NHLer or a combination of the above. I think eventually we will see a female GM but unless there is already a successful female hockey agent or a woman in a high-level position within an NHL organization I don't think its happening in the near future. I don't think the Canucks have any high-ranking females in the org but I can't speak for any other teams. One poster mentioned earlier that you don't see any women really on the floor during the draft which I think is a good indication of how far away we are from seeing it.

Due to the old-boys network of NHL execs I am sure there are many people (both male and female) that would do a great job as a GM but will never be considered because they don't have a direct link to the league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.