Will the NHL ever have a female GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I happened to be at the MLB Winter Meetings last night and saw Kim Ng (among others). She's probably the most likely out of the major American sports, but it still seems like a bit of an uphill battle for her. She's interviewed for GM spots for the Mariners, Angels, and Padres in recent years. She's been assistant GM for the Dodgers and Yankees.

Hockey still seems a little bit behind baseball in terms of being an old boy's club. We're just seeing now teams bringing in people to do analytics. Unfortunately there still seems to be a stigma about having a female GM. So I wouldn't expect hockey to break the ice any time soon, but you would hope eventually there'd be some viable candidates.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Likely never.

Were talking about a homogeneous league where 100.0% of all players are male.

A usual precursor to being in management is having played in the league which is 100% male.

I could see a female owner in the future but no women in management unless the league allows women to play in the NHL (which will likely never happen).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think that the point was that the female game is fundamentally different than the male game, but even then that point is paper thin.

The point is that being an NHL GM is at least as much about connections as it is about merits, and someone not involved in the men's hockey game from a relatively young age would be at a disadvantage in getting those connections.

Tim Murray - Buffalo
Stan Bowman - Chicago
Chuck Fletcher - Minnesota
Bryan Murray - Ottawa

With Jay Feaster, that's more than I would have thought, though Stan Bowman is obviously a special case.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Likely never.

A usual precursor to being in management is having played in the league which is 100% male.

I could see a female owner in the future but no women in management unless the league allows women to play in the NHL (which will likely never happen).
I feel like...this isn't true at all

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
Even if a woman was good enough, and that's a big if, (not to be sexist or anything) she'd have to go to hell and back, and even more to become a GM. Men just have less respect for women when it comes down to sports management. The NHL is a men's league, with men managing it and men playing it. I can't see that changing anytime soon.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Even if a woman was good enough, and that's a big if, (not to be sexist or anything) she'd have to go to hell and back, and even more to become a GM. Men just have less respect for women when it comes down to sports management. The NHL is a men's league, with men managing it and men playing it. I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Really? Is it a question of respect?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Unlikely anytime soon. Who is currently the highest ranking woman in an NHL organization? The Leafs employ Barbara Underhill as a development coach bt outside of her i struggle to even name a woman in the front office of a team.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't see why not. The women's game is growing and in time I could see an pro team getting a female GM. If said lady is qualified why not?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Don't see why not? We have senators and congresswomen... Intellect doesn't depend on gender in any way as far as science proves.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I feel like...this isn't true at all

It's not in the sense that it is a requirement, but it is a huge influencing factor. The ones who haven't actually played have coached for a long time in junior leagues composed of players with a 100% male demographic.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Of course it will happen. In 5 years or 20. No real reason why not. Canadian or American top level Olympic Hockey player. Ivy league university or Queens, McGill, U of T business school. Very smart and charismatic. Becomes player agent or respected media analyst or play by play personality. No reason it could not happen. It will happen at some point in the not too distant future.

Go to games... Tons of female fans... There with other female friends... No guys. So many more young female hockey players and leagues. And women are more likely to actually go to elite colleges and play and finish their degrees then many of their male counterparts... Since the lure of the NHL is not there. You have a famous MBA Olympic hockey player... Maybe coach's an NCAA men's team... And on and on.

As if this won't eventually happen. There is no reason why it won't happen.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Do you think your line of thought applies the same in lets say, a man managing a women's hockey league?

I agree that the preception exists, from a male point of view. However, I don't think it will go far if just one woman, is put in the big chair and happens to be good at it. The whole concept goes right out the window.

pastamania

Sep 12, 2013
Boston
Likely never.

There aren't any actual rules against women playing in the nhl, there just haven't been any female players in the regular season yet, but I get what you're saying. The nhl is still very "old boys club".

anders and

Nov 16, 2013
A female GM when there will never be a female player? I doubt it.

Noora Räty is playing as a goalie in men's 1-div in Finland. Not to say that she will someday play in the NHL, but that women can play in men's leagues.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

If it doesn't change anytime soon, it's because of rock-throwing cavemen like yourself. :laugh:

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Best answer, also this thread is pretty illuminating/disappointing.
Right? This thread is absurd, and so are some of the answers.

Of course a woman will be GM some day. The only argument you can make against it is purely one of sexism. Not all GM's played in the NHL. Not all of them coached in the NHL. Not all of them held a high position in an organization outside of management first either. Dean Lombardi was a player agent after he stopped playing hockey in college. Then he got into management. He's turned out pretty good.

pastamania

Sep 12, 2013
Boston
Noora Räty is playing as a goalie in men's 1-div in Finland. Not to say that she will someday play in the NHL, but that women can play in men's leagues.

Shannon Szabados is also playing in the SPHL. Not to get too off-topic, but I actually think one of the first visible NHL positions we'll see a woman in is goalie. Just because that's what we've come closest to.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
* The daughter of a very well respected player will get an exception.

If say Paulina Gretzky wanted to be a GM, she would be accepted.

Similar case to female presidents in the US, Hillary gets the exception for being the spouse of a famous president (she is obviously well qualified without that though but that relation is key)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad