OT: Will the NBA return to Vancouver?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's hilarious how even a city like Toronto is considered a bad destination for a player when it's probably a top 5 city in the entire league.

American's really are clueless bastards, Vancouver would be a top 3 city in the entire NBA.

I hope your joking. top 5 in terms of what? living standards?

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
The NBA is dead to me. No, I don't want to see Golden State vs Lebron every year and don't even get me started about the Grizzlies debacle. I used to be a huge NBA fan in the late 90's/early 2000's. Now I don't give a shit about that league anymore.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's hilarious how even a city like Toronto is considered a bad destination for a player when it's probably a top 5 city in the entire league.

American's really are clueless bastards, Vancouver would be a top 3 city in the entire NBA.

Hate to say it, but Vancouver is probably the least attractive NBA city for African Americans.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
In terms of everything.

Toronto is a great city, I’ve been to pretty much every major city that has a NBA team.

Even the culture there is completely different then it is here. I do agree with fan in the regards to Vancouver being unattractive to african americans, but Toronto is completely different.

It’s emerging as one the hotbeds for hip-hop/rap music ever since drake became popular, Toronto is oozing with current mega stars in the industry. Toronto is incredibly diverse and it’s fashion and culture is dominated by immigrants.

As someone who goes there at least twice a year has an abundance of family and friends there, Toronto is a great city for the NBA.

I know it’s popular on here to post [mod], but it’s a great city and they also have a fantastic hockey team.

Last edited by a moderator:

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
It's not about race. Utah is whiter than sour cream and attracts players. Places like Minnesota are frigid and boring. And there are teams in flat out dumps like Cleveland, Detroit, Memphis and New Orleans.

Any half decent basketball player of any color would have thought twice about playing for the Grizzlies in that era. It's the equivalent of joining the Ottawa Senators.

The Grizzlies were owned by slimeballs, run by an idiot GM, and our highly paid center spent most of his time at Uncle Willy's.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not about race. Utah is whiter than sour cream and attracts players. Places like Minnesota are frigid and boring. And there are teams in flat out dumps like Cleveland, Detroit, Memphis and New Orleans.

Any half decent basketball player of any color would have thought twice about playing for the Grizzlies in that era. It's the equivalent of joining the Ottawa Senators.

The Grizzlies were owned by slimeballs, run by an idiot GM, and our highly paid center spent most of his time at Uncle Willy's.
Would Vancouver end up much better than Utah when it comes to signing free agents? Who have the Jazz signed since the end of the Malone and Stockton era? Hayward left for Boston.

Even when Lebron returned to Cleveland they already had Kyrie and traded the wiggins pick they owned to get Love. They retained Thompson but overpaid him. Didn’t attract that extra high level guy to go up against GS.

About half the league hasn’t done anything outside of miss the playoffs or been a 1 round and done in the playoffs over the past decade.

Vancouver would still get fans to their games but I would not expect a contender.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Malhotra is brown and he is also Canadian.

The only American blacks to play here off the top of my head are Brashear and Etem.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
photo.ashx

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Former Grizzlies season ticket holder........Really sucked when the team left. We were undone at that time by a number of factors including the outrageous exchange rate from USD to CND (it was over 1.5 at that time) and our dumbass GM Stu Jackass Jackson giving a max deal to a bumbling oaf who was more interested in big macs and farm life then he was playing basketball.

I think we could definitely support a team now - I have heard several times that they regretted leaving and I wouldn't be surprised to see a team back in the next 10-15 years - especially due to the large Asian population that we have here. I think it's gonna happen - just not holding my breath as to when.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Aquilini said today that $2 billion for the team is too much and they will not be involved

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Simple answer is no. Unless Jimmy P wants to buy a team, outside of Jason Momoa, no one locally has the cash required to purchase a team from scratch or relocate.

Too much money in the NBA right now causing the prices to go through the roof.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
If Aquilini cannot afford it then I'm sure there is no shortage of billionaires in China that would like to own an NBA team. They love the NBA there. It could be hugely marketable in Vancouver. Court the right investors and it'll happen.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
The NBA doesn't need a team in Vancouver. They've already done about as much as it needs to do to grow the game here in Canada. The rest will sort itself out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad