OT: Will the NBA return to Vancouver?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I still doubt Vancouver would attract players. They’d have to land a franchise guy who had the personality of Tim Duncan who would stay and commit to a small market and be someone other guys want to play with. Westbrook committed to OKC but he’s considered a ball hog. Not sure he has the it factor to draw guys who would want to win.

We are obviously in the era of Lebron so look at which teams have been pretty solid over the past decade.

Basketball for whatever reasons being in the top 5-7 of the draft is no guarantee of getting superstars. Seen so many busts over the years. How many of the top 30 guys in the nba are top 5 draft picks?

I think the nba in Vancouver would be more song the lines of having a team, but one that would never contend given the strength of the west over the past 17 years. Fans would be attending games to watch the stars of other teams. Up until last year when the nba made some changes to combat resting atars Vancouver would likely have been a city that stars rest depending on the schedule. If teams had Seattle and Vancouver back to back could easily see Vancouver getting the short end of the stick.

Good post.

I’m about to go a bit off track here, but I honestly think Seattle needs an NBA team again.....and soon.

I was watching a YouTube clip of WWE Wrestling the other day, and they were in Seattle. One current heel in the company (bad guy) took a pot shot at the Seattle crowd by stating that even the Sonics wanted to leave Seattle.

The fans went ABSOLUTE NUTS. HUGE chorus of boos for the next 5-10 minutes. Seattle fans are awesome. So much passion and fire in that city. I’m excited that they will be getting an NHL team, and I hope the NBA goes back to them soon as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good post.

I’m about to go a bit off track here, but I honestly think Seattle needs an NBA team again.....and soon.

I was watching a YouTube clip of WWE Wrestling the other day, and they were in Seattle. One current heel in the company (bad guy) took a pot shot at the Seattle crowd by stating that even the Sonics wanted to leave Seattle.

The fans went ABSOLUTE NUTS. HUGE chorus of boos for the next 5-10 minutes. Seattle fans are awesome. So much passion and fire in that city. I’m excited that they will be getting an NHL team, and I hope the NBA goes back to them soon as well.
Seattle, honestly had no one to blame but themselves for losing the sonics. Way back in the early 90’s they had the option to build key arena from scratch rather than the remodel. Would have cost double the price but it would have been at the level of Rogers arena and the rose garden in Portland which opened in 1996 and 1995.

But the new arena was contingent on getting an NHL team, which got back stabbed by their nba partner.

Thus the key was only remodeled for basketball. However come 15 years after the remodel the sonics new owner says the arena is outdated and wants a new one. City after paying a good chunk of safeco and centurylink said no.

Never been to an nba only arena to compete against Rogers so no clue on the sight lines difference. But always puzzles me when cities especially larger market sized ones like Seattle opt to build basketball only facilities. Why limit yourself. Seattle may not be Chicago or Philly but still a good size city. Too short sighted I guess.

In hindsight, had Seattle just went ahead with a brand new arena the sonics would not have left. I base that on the key being built similar to the rose garden caliber. And who knows if the nhl would have been in Seattle earlier. Likely would depend on whether the sonics owner wanted the nhl, not unlike Portland.

Even now, city council of Seattle has so much freaking red tape for they key remode, and for years with Hansen trying to build an arena in SoDo. Selfish mariners are part of the list against an arena there, which is hypocritical since this would be a privately funded arena while their park got hundreds of millions in taxpayer money.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The NBA would easily work in Vancouver, it is one of Sterns' biggest regrets leaving.

Having said that, with the state the NBA is in now I don't want it. They need to get rid of the current "super team" and let other cities build. I am tired of going Golden state vs whoever Lebron plays for! Sure it may change in a few years, but it will still just be two new dynasties. It's boring even when it can be good basketball.

Having said that, mid 90's basketball was the best. Best 30 for 30 was still probably the one on Miller and the pacers vs the Knicks. the line where he scores the 8 pts or whatever it was in 5 seconds, "he has the presence of mind.." So good.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The NBA would easily work in Vancouver, it is one of Sterns' biggest regrets leaving.

Having said that, with the state the NBA is in now I don't want it. They need to get rid of the current "super team" and let other cities build. I am tired of going Golden state vs whoever Lebron plays for! Sure it may change in a few years, but it will still just be two new dynasties. It's boring even when it can be good basketball.

Having said that, mid 90's basketball was the best. Best 30 for 30 was still probably the one on Miller and the pacers vs the Knicks. the line where he scores the 8 pts or whatever it was in 5 seconds, "he has the presence of mind.." So good.
Golden State drafted and developed the best regular season team of all time, they were an incredible team filled with hometown talent until Durant pulled the weakest move in the history of the sport.

Lebron is arguably the best dominant athlete in the history of team sports, wherever he goes is going to be good regardless. If Durant had stayed the course in OKC we would be watching one of the most competitive and entertaining eras of basketball of all time with teams like OKC, Houston, Golden State, Boston, Toronto and LeBron all having chances at the chip. The 2016 playoffs was maybe the best playoffs I've ever watched of any sport, let's be honest Durant ruined the entire league by himself.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Golden State drafted and developed the best regular season team of all time, they were an incredible team filled with hometown talent until Durant pulled the weakest move in the history of the sport.

Lebron is arguably the best dominant athlete in the history of team sports, wherever he goes is going to be good regardless. If Durant had stayed the course in OKC we would be watching one of the most competitive and entertaining eras of basketball of all time with teams like OKC, Houston, Golden State, Boston, Toronto and LeBron all having chances at the chip. The 2016 playoffs was maybe the best playoffs I've ever watched of any sport, let's be honest Durant ruined the entire league by himself.

Well I would argue it was ruined long before any of this when Boston started doing this, then Miami followed, and so on.

For me it doesn't matter what could have been just the last few years when the season started we all knew who was going to be in the final. I don't see another sport like this. Sure we have teams we know are going to be good, but who guessed the cup final would be Vegas vs the Caps? I don't really follow baseball so that one is a pass, while the Pats are always good, that team besides Brady is always changing, and I sure as hell didn't see the Eagles coming.

Obviously just my POV.

Reactions: Nucker101

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
I would like to see a cross border team split between Seattle and Vancouver

:22 home games each
Playoff rounds alternate between the cities
:the advertising revenue would be unprecedented in the NBA.
:by creating a limited demand a :Seattle/Vancouver team would command top dollar on everything advertising,ticket prices etc.

Since both the Grizzlies and Sonics relocated the NBA could right two wrongs in one shot.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Well I would argue it was ruined long before any of this when Boston started doing this, then Miami followed, and so on.

For me it doesn't matter what could have been just the last few years when the season started we all knew who was going to be in the final. I don't see another sport like this. Sure we have teams we know are going to be good, but who guessed the cup final would be Vegas vs the Caps? I don't really follow baseball so that one is a pass, while the Pats are always good, that team besides Brady is always changing, and I sure as hell didn't see the Eagles coming.

Obviously just my POV.
Boston won one championship in 5 years as a "super team", Miami won 2 in 4 and was taken to a game 7 in one of them. Golden State with Durant is 8-1 in the finals and almost went 16-0 in 2017.

The second best player in the world decided to join the best regular season team of all time.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
First of all, Kevin Durant is a bi*ch.

Secondly, I think most people can agree that the Vancouver Grizzlies suffered from the worst management in expansion team history. If they had capitalized on any of their first round draft picks in their first five years they could’ve had a much different fate. Could’ve easily had a team built around Nash and Odom if they just took the BPA. Forget about the Steve Francis debacle and how poor the decision making was throughout the entire situation.

Combine that with the strictest rules in NBA history for expansion teams due to owners still being mad at how quickly Orlando saw success, and the Grizzlies really got a raw deal.

I think a team could absolutely succeed here, especially with the huge Asian population of Vancouver.

The biggest caveat would be who owned the team, and if they were willing to put up the money necessary to compete with the big market US teams, as luxury tax salaries can be necessary to compete and the bills can get quite high.

The most successful teams are always the highest spending ones, and with no hard cap, you can pay to win.

An example of this is being an issue is when small market OKC let go of MVP James Harden because their owner didn’t want to pay up to keep him, due to fear of future luxury taxes.

If there was an ownership group with deep pockets willing to pay, and a competent management group to run the team, I could see an NBA team being a huge success in Vancouver, with lots of sellout crowds and season ticket holders.

Reactions: Josepho and dim jim

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I would like to see a cross border team split between Seattle and Vancouver

:22 home games each
Playoff rounds alternate between the cities
:the advertising revenue would be unprecedented in the NBA.
:by creating a limited demand a :Seattle/Vancouver team would command top dollar on everything advertising,ticket prices etc.

Since both the Grizzlies and Sonics relocated the NBA could right two wrongs in one shot.
And where would you suggest the players, management and their families live?

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
One or the other it’s a 1 hour and twenty minute drive or 15 minutes by plane
So let's say you have a 6 game "home" stand (let's say 3 in one city, 3 in the other)....and you spend half of that time away from your family? Don't think that would go over very well!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
First of all, Kevin Durant is a bi*ch.

Secondly, I think most people can agree that the Vancouver Grizzlies suffered from the worst management in expansion team history. If they had capitalized on any of their first round draft picks in their first five years they could’ve had a much different fate. Could’ve easily had a team built around Nash and Odom if they just took the BPA. Forget about the Steve Francis debacle and how poor the decision making was throughout the entire situation.

Combine that with the strictest rules in NBA history for expansion teams due to owners still being mad at how quickly Orlando saw success, and the Grizzlies really got a raw deal.

I think a team could absolutely succeed here, especially with the huge Asian population of Vancouver.

The biggest caveat would be who owned the team, and if they were willing to put up the money necessary to compete with the big market US teams, as luxury tax salaries can be necessary to compete and the bills can get quite high.

The most successful teams are always the highest spending ones, and with no hard cap, you can pay to win.

An example of this is being an issue is when small market OKC let go of MVP James Harden because their owner didn’t want to pay up to keep him, due to fear of future luxury taxes.

If there was an ownership group with deep pockets willing to pay, and a competent management group to run the team, I could see an NBA team being a huge success in Vancouver, with lots of sellout crowds and season ticket holders.
I could see an nba team being decent to good here. But with the power and control the players have I would think the chances would be pretty low that Vancouver would ever contend for a stretch of consecutive seasons.

Just have to see how other non major markets go. Hayward left Utah for Boston. I’d be interested to see if the Greek Freak signs long term in Milwaukee. Indiana dealt George over fears of him leaving for LA.

Don’t think Vancouver would be in much better shape than those mid market nba teams when it comes to getting and retaining talent.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Too many cities in this continent that would provide the prospective owner of a team either partially or fully taxpaper funded arena. I seriously doubt that would fly in this city. Rogers Arena is getting a bit 'long in the tooth' & I suspect any possible new team coming here would want a new arena.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yup. Different era from now. We also have a huge Chinese community who loves the NBA. I kid you bloody not, Vancouver will make a better choice at this point then any American city right now.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
4 Star hotels?
So you spend all your "away" time in 5Star hotels, and then also half your "home" time living in a nice hotel. Just don't see this working for management or players,....especially those with families. And, as somebody pointed out....not sure what you are driving to get to Seattle in 1 hours and 20 minutes....and you are suggesting they go there after practice and return again the next day....very impractical....which is why it will never happen. Both Seattle and Vancouver can support a franchise....but Seattle should definitely be in before Vancouver.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
As much as we like to think we are big league, we wouldn't attract any star free agents and after the initial honeymoon phase of having a team wears off ticket sales would slump and we'd probably be a playoff bubble team for much of the franchise's existence. Could we support a team? Probably. Should we get a team? Probably not, especially after how things went the first time and how little support we got from the league.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
In terms of attractiveness, Vancouver is at least in the top half compared to any other NBA city. We are a desirable location.

If so many non Canadian NHL players are happy to play here, why would American NBA players have an issue?

I think it’s more to do with how well the team is being run, players want to join a team that is succesful.

Look at what LeBron did to Cleveland, players will flock to teams that have the best chance at winning, location isn’t a huge deal.

Only a few places (mostly California and Florida) have the luster from their city alone to entice players.

Reactions: Josepho

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
As much as we like to think we are big league, we wouldn't attract any star free agents and after the initial honeymoon phase of having a team wears off ticket sales would slump and we'd probably be a playoff bubble team for much of the franchise's existence. Could we support a team? Probably. Should we get a team? Probably not, especially after how things went the first time and how little support we got from the league.

Actually if I remember correctly, up until the last season when it was obvious the team was moving our attendance was top half of the NBA.

In terms of attractiveness, Vancouver is at least in the top half compared to any other NBA city. We are a desirable location.

If so many non Canadian NHL players are happy to play here, why would American NBA players have an issue?

I think it’s more to do with how well the team is being run, players want to join a team that is succesful.

Look at what LeBron did to Cleveland, players will flock to teams that have the best chance at winning, location isn’t a huge deal.

Only a few places (mostly California and Florida) have the luster from their city alone to entice players.

It’s not just us it’s Toronto too, there is a stigma against Canadian teams for Americans. Mainly as it is another Country.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It's hilarious how even a city like Toronto is considered a bad destination for a player when it's probably a top 5 city in the entire league.

American's really are clueless bastards, Vancouver would be a top 3 city in the entire NBA.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I would definitely rather live in a big ass city like Philly or New York than here (and I sure as hell understand why a bunch of rich black american athletes would as well) and I think Vancouver as a whole is somewhat overrated but it's not like we're some absolute dump of a city.

There are a shit ton of f***ing stupid NBA markets like Sacramento, Milwaukee, Orlando, Salt Lake, Indianapolis (not denying its legitimacy as a "basketball town" though) and Memphis.

One can argue whether or not those teams should actually exist and whether or not they'll ever maintain any decent players, but Vancouver is definitely a more desirable market than any of those other places in my eyes. Definitely a question of whether or not the team could keep star talent, but teams like the Detroit Red Wings, Baltimore Ravens, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis Cardinals are examples of teams in iffy cities that have developed a strong winning culture that players still will want to come to.

I don't really even care for a team but I know the NBA could work here if the cards are played correctly.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
It's hilarious how even a city like Toronto is considered a bad destination for a player when it's probably a top 5 city in the entire league.

American's really are clueless bastards, Vancouver would be a top 3 city in the entire NBA.

NBA has a different culture. It's all about party life and hot weather, unless the market is insanely large like New York. Besides you need to go through customs every single god damn away game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad