Will the Flyers trade for a goalie before the deadline and who would it be?

Will the Flyers trade for a goalie before the deadline and who would it be?

• Total voters

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I said Bobrovsky because I hope he comes home. I wore his CBJ jersey Friday in hopes of summoning him and I read some report on how Fletcher will probably go for him this off-season.

In all honestly, I would be surprised if he didn't trade for some other stopgap but part of me wants Stolarz to be the number 1 guy for the rest of the year, he can back us up next year, and then that's who we expose in the expansion draft in the following year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn't matter. No goalie can save this team while Hakstol mangles it. Hasek came and went long ago.
They're really stuck in no-man's land on this one. They can't do a rental because they're too close to the bottom, and it doesn't make sense unless the guy is here next year, and then why attach yourself to someone when you can try and sign Varlamov or Bobrovsky? I prefer Varlamov to Bobrobsky given the likely contract demands.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Any goalie who would be available without overpaying would not be worth it. It'll simply be another Mrazek with our system and especially our defense in shambles. And I'd much rather see Stolarz get a full year to see if he's capable. Barring that, Elliot showed that he can put up at least average goaltending when healthy.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The whole go and get a goalie to fix this team approach is a trap.

It would take a Vezina worthy goalie to make a difference and those guys are not available. It's the 6 guys that are playing defense, the makup of the pairings and roles, how the pieces don't fit together and the system in general that are flawed.

Reactions: Fragmuffin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's the goalies that are flawed, but no one available in trade is going to be a significant upgrade.
When this team gets average or better goaltending they're competitive with any team in the NHL.

The only hope is Stolarz/Elliott settle in and provide consistent goaltending.
The good news is Hart seems to be progressing nicely.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I laugh whenever the Hextall lovers keep saying there were no goalies available the last couple of years who could have helped the Flyers. Last summer alone Hutton and Halak were available and look at how well they have played this year. Hextall's gross mismanagement of the position he once played was grounds enough alone for him to be **** canned. I definitely expect the next GM to make a move to try to sure up the position before this year's trade deadline.

Yeah and I'm sure you were sure that halak and Hutton would be any good before this season.

Any goalie would have worse numbers on this team from the PK alone in

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hutton is hurt, surprise, he was about as reliable as Elliott, career backup with a hot start doesn't make you a starting goaltender.
Halak is splitting time with Rask, he'd be fine as part of a pair, but he has struggled as the main starter.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Run with Stolie to see what you have in him going forward. See if it's worth all the patience to see if you are giving him a spot for next year.

Elliott should be back in about a week...unless something has changed. And he was playing very well before he got hurt. Last 7 games he was 4-3 but had a .944 SV% and a 1.55 GAA.

Reactions: wufuhimself

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If Crawford is healthy, he would be my snap answer -- doesn't have the highest peak on that list but was the most consistently excellent before this year, would cost less than Bobrovsky due to rep, and has the perfect contract length for what I think they want to do.

I have no idea how to judge if he is or not.

I would not make a Goalie deal without other immediate changes.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Crawford makes sense only if Chicago is dumping salary. He has a NMC too, so would have to agree to come here. Doesn't really make sense to have Elliott anymore if they acquired him. If you can acquire him for a cheaper price in order to take his salary he might become worth it.

Talbot would be a smart low risk move. Similar to Dubnyk, you have a guy who has talent, but doesn't have it together. Sometimes takes a fresh look somewhere else to reset the mind. Would probably cost little and could end up with a starter. He would get a 3-4 month tryout for a contract next year. Could easily turn into Mrazek pt 2.

With the exception of Crawford, I don't really see any chance how there can be an upgrade in goal that makes guaranteed difference. You're basically just throwing more shit at a wall to see if it sticks. Maybe that is all it takes because we know a few guys aren't going to get to that level. I prefer the Stolarz route because he is giving competent goaltending while developing. He has the most to lose from bringing someone in.

I completely disagree(d) with what Hextall did to the goalie position, but I do think he was right when saying there really isn't much to fix what they have via trade. As much as it sucks, just rotating through guys until Hart is here is probably the smartest.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thing is Stolarz isn't chopped liver, 2nd rd pick who got derailed by a knee injury.
So it would be foolish not to find out if he's for real before giving up assets for a second or third tier goalie.

giphy.gif

WE AGREE

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I voted Howard because he strikes me as the overlap of the Venn diagram of Flyers criteria; however, I would most want Crawford for all the reasons Jojo listed. Anderson wouldn't be a bad choice but I can't be certain he would do any better than Elliott with the current state of the Flyers D. The runner-up to Crawford for me would be status quo (shiver!) of Elliott – Stolarz after waiving Neuvirth. Dark horse would be Quick, though I doubt the trade cost would be acceptable.

Reactions: kelmitchell

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah and I'm sure you were sure that halak and Hutton would be any good before this season.

Any goalie would have worse numbers on this team from the PK alone in
For some there will be always be excuses for Hextall's failures. He was the GM for four and half years and acquired four goalies (Neuvirth, Elliott, Mrazek, and Pickard) and all four were bad to terrible acquisitions. Bad PK or not he pinned his hopes on an average goalie, an average goalie who can't stay healthy, a guy who had struggled for two years, and a guy who was waived by multiple teams. Facts are facts.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks are sinking ship at this point. I wont be shocked if they approach Crawford about potential trades since he is one of the few trade chips Hawks potentially have

Clearing more cap room for offseason makes sense as well given the Panarin stuff and they already have cleared sizeable amount of cap room for this offseason so adding more wouldn't be worst thing

If they can get Hughes in draft + Sign Panarin it would do a lot PR wise to get Hawks back into spotlight and heading into right direction

Crawford is not part of Hawks longterm plans given his age so it would be smart move to move him now and he would fit what Flyers need which is a caretaker #1 thru this year and next so you don't have to rush Hart

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Only if Crawford comes cheap, for all we know he's finished.
He's 34 and having an awful season, so is it a bad team or an old goalie who's fallen off a cliff.
Chicago should be happy to ship out his $6M cap hit next year, we can afford it but not if he costs serious assets, unless you want to take MacDonald in return.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Only if Crawford comes cheap, for all we know he's finished.
He's 34 and having an awful season, so is it a bad team or an old goalie who's fallen off a cliff.
Chicago should be happy to ship out his $6M cap hit next year, we can afford it but not if he costs serious assets, unless you want to take MacDonald in return.

Don't give in. Stay the course.

I can't drive this Stolarz train alone. This is a lot of coal to shovel.

I don't know why you had to make this a steam train, diesel is way easier. I guess it's less sexy though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Talbot & Crawford — are they both done? They’ve fallen off a cliff. Crawford was on the shelf for 9 months with concussion problems & now sucks. Can he get it back? He isn’t young. Talbot was a backup who had 2 good years as a starter, but has been on a bad decline since last season.

These kind of reek of when they acquired Sean Burke for the first time.

I’m not in favor of giving up much at all. Hope Carter Hart is ready for a callup.

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
For some there will be always be excuses for Hextall's failures. He was the GM for four and half years and acquired four goalies (Neuvirth, Elliott, Mrazek, and Pickard) and all four were bad to terrible acquisitions. Bad PK or not he pinned his hopes on an average goalie, an average goalie who can't stay healthy, a guy who had struggled for two years, and a guy who was waived by multiple teams. Facts are facts.

Hutton and halak sound a lot like our trash. They'd be worse on this team.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flashspec

Jan 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
Haven't followed the Sharks much this season but what would it take to get Aaron Dell? I liked some of his playoff appearances last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad