OT: Will the Coyotes retire Yandle's number 3 after he retires?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There's a difference between retiring a number and just putting them on the ring of honor. The Winnipeg players were honored as such because, at the time, they had no other place for their careers to be recognized. It was the classy thing to do. I've yet to see a single Jets fan actually acknowledge and appreciate this. It's usually met with the childlike "you stole our history!", as if an organization would willingly take the history of the Jets.

For all the angst they give us about it, they're curiously reticent to explain why the ThrasherJets haven't done anything to honor the history we so gauchely appropriated.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
For all the angst they give us about it, they're curiously reticent to explain why the ThrasherJets haven't done anything to honor the history we so gauchely appropriated.
I wish they would take it back, as a Coyotes fan I don't want it. As far as I'm concerned the Coyotes are an expansion franchise.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I wish they would take it back, as a Coyotes fan I don't want it. As far as I'm concerned the Coyotes are an expansion franchise.

I'm with you. I used to wear my Hawerchuk sweater to Coyotes games before ASG unceremoniously dumped the Thrashers because I liked Ducky as a player and I thought it was a nice nod to history. I haven't worn it since Jets 2.0, although I still keep it for nostalgia purposes.

Everyone I talk to on HF seems to say that franchise history doesn't matter a whit - it's CITY history that counts, and so Arizona shouldn't have Jets history and Winnipeg shouldn't have Thrashers. Fine, but that still doesn't explain why MTS Centre is still bereft of WHA/NHL history trappings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad