OT: Will the Coyotes retire Yandle's number 3 after he retires?

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Do you actually have something to contribute to this thread? This is a good question to ask given what Yandle has done for the Coyotes with helping the team get to its 1st ever conference final.

Honestly, I believe that the only name that will deserve to be honored in this franchise is Shane Doan when the time comes. The rest shouldn't even be up there.

Especially the Jets players (An entire topic altogether)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Do you actually have something to contribute to this thread? This is a good question to ask given what Yandle has done for the Coyotes with helping the team get to its 1st ever conference final.

B/c Ray Whitney and Mike Smith (the good version) had nothing to do with it??? Let's be real here - was he a contributing member? Sure, but let's not actually say that he literally put the team on his back and was the sole reason behind that run...

Most people that I chatted with at games were pretty 'meh' on Yandle. Probably slightly more positive than negative, but not so much so that he became a "face of the franchise"

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If he comes back for another five years and actually accomplishes something with the team, it's worth talking about. Until then, he's just a good player that played here for a long time.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If he comes back for another five years and actually accomplishes something with the team, it's worth talking about. Until then, he's just a good player that played here for a long time.

How is that differs from Numminen, Tkachuk or Roenick?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

It doesn't, materially - the only reason those guys are up there is because the team ownership wanted to put some Coyotes-branded star names up on the walls.

Me, I'd be happy taking down the Ring of Honor completely - the Winnipeg fans hate the fact that we have Hull, Hawerchuk, and Steen up there (and Hull, Hawerchuk, and Steen didn't seem too thrilled either), and Teppo, Keith, and JR aren't retirement-worthy... hell, only Roenick still bothers to mention that he ever played for us and he's enough of a jackwagon that most times I wish he'd shut up and stay home in Scottsdale.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
the Winnipeg fans hate the fact that we have Hull, Hawerchuk, and Steen up there (and Hull, Hawerchuk, and Steen didn't seem too thrilled either)
That's the first good reason I've heard to keep their names up there. **** the Thrasher fans!

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
It doesn't, materially - the only reason those guys are up there is because the team ownership wanted to put some Coyotes-branded star names up on the walls.

Me, I'd be happy taking down the Ring of Honor completely - the Winnipeg fans hate the fact that we have Hull, Hawerchuk, and Steen up there (and Hull, Hawerchuk, and Steen didn't seem too thrilled either), and Teppo, Keith, and JR aren't retirement-worthy... hell, only Roenick still bothers to mention that he ever played for us and he's enough of a jackwagon that most times I wish he'd shut up and stay home in Scottsdale.

Honestly, JR was part of the group to move the team to Seattle if IA didn't get the team. Stupid we honored him at all.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Forget about Yandle's #3, I've been trying to decide between Klinkhammer's #36 or Lauri Korpikoski's #28 as the next one to retire . . . .

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

Numminen played for us for 15 years, was our captain, and is arguably one of the most underrated defenseman of all time.

Tkachuk played with us for 10 years, was our captain (although depending on how you ask, not a very good one :laugh:), scored 50 goals twice, and led the league in goals once with us, and is arguably a top-10 American player, all time.

Roenick, who has the weakest argument of three, had most of his accomplishments in Chicago, but was one of the most notable players in the league during his time here, helped put Phoenix hockey on the map, and is arguably a top-5 American player of all time.

Had all three played in a larger market or won a Stanley Cup, I think they would all be borderline Hall-of-Famers, and Roenick who actually did play in a notable market in Chicago, very well could get in the Hall-of-Fame in the next several years.

Yandle on the other hand, is a super cool dude, who scored 50 points for us twice. He needs to come back and play at high level for several more years to have a legitimate argument at getting his number retired, IMO, and it even then, it would mainly be because of sentimental reasons.

I'm not taking shots at Yandle or anything, I just feel he has a significantly weaker argument than Roenick and Tkachuk, both of whom have somewhat weak arguments to begin with (Roenick especially).

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Honestly, I believe that the only name that will deserve to be honored in this franchise is Shane Doan when the time comes. The rest shouldn't even be up there.

Especially the Jets players (An entire topic altogether)

I agree with this. Retiring #s is stupid. Ring of honor is where everyone that was great with the team should go. 20 years and the face of the franchise for most of them? Ok, I can get behind Doan. Everyone else. No thanks. And plllease send the Jets' history back to them. We shouldn't honor anything that has to do with them.

But definitely we should bring Yandle back next year. I don't know how anyone can watch our PP and not see how good Yandle is and why we need him back.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't really have an issue with the Jets stuff. That is part of the franchise history. Plus it infuriates them in the Peg, soo... Maybe we can fund our new stadium by selling them the rights to the old Jets' history!

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I'm on the fence about this. I'm with the people who are saying that if J.R. and Tkachuk are going to be hanging by Doan's name in the future, then Yandle really shouldn't be out of the question. Yandle was with the Coyotes for 10 years, Tkachuk was with the franchise for 9. When people think Tkachuk, they think Winnipeg Jet, or St. Louis Blue.
Roenick played a combined 6 seasons with the Coyotes, amassing 379 points (compared to Yandle's 311) but then left on a sour note in his final season with us. Yandle ranks top 10 in overall franchise games played, assists, and shots. 4th overall in franchise points by a defenseman. Holds the franchise record of most points by a defenseman in one season. Currently stands 3rd overall in franchise games played by a defenseman, only behind Teppo and Winnipeg's Randy Carlyle (although Zbynek Michalek is only 8 games away from breaking Keith's record at 558 games, and is poised to move into 3rd overall this season.) Multiple team MVP awards, served as a valuable addition to our team captaincy, and was (and still is) clearly a fan favorite.

When brought into comparison with the other Ring of Honor members, he holds a similar standard. Now his numbers don't exactly dazzle in comparison, like CC96 mentioned, but as a defensman that's kind of understandable. He was a voice for this team, and the community, and was a very likable, and recognizable guy among the organization. Behind Teppo, i think Yandle has been this franchise's next most notable defenseman.

I for one wouldn't question it for a second if his number was raised to the rafters. I think that the talent, tenure, and hard work he brought to this team deserves him a spot on the Ring of Honor.

I do agree that besides Gretzky, Doan's number (at this point) should be the only one officially retired rather than "honored." So i see no reason as to why we couldn't at least honor the number 3, out of respect for all he's done for our club.

Last edited:

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
As of now I don't think he deserves. If he comes back, probably, but right now I'm trying not to get my hopes up that that'll happen. Hell, my strong desire to see an OEL, Yandle, Duclair, Strome, and Domi powerplay pretty much guarantees that won't happen.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He was a voice for this team, and the community, and was a very likable, and recognizable guy among the organization. Behind Teppo, i think Yandle has been this franchise's next most notable defenseman.

This is where I would somewhat disagree. We've heard of Doan's charitable works behind the scenes (paying for medical insurance when that was cut from certain employees). I haven't really heard of anything with Yandle, outside of wearing the jersey with the age of the child who died in the Boston Marathon bombings. When there are pictures posted regarding who goes to hospitals, visits with schools, etc. on the Coyote NHL.com page, I have rarely seen Yandle in those photos. Could just be a timing thing where he can't visit, but I haven't seen Yandle win the award for charitable works at the end of the year, either.

As for a voice for the team - the last thing that I remember him being quoted with was that it was no surprise that the Kings won in the Conference Final, b/c "the refs wear black and white, same as the Kings." I am ad-libbing there, but I really feel like people overstate his leadership contributions. You can disagree with how things work out, but that was unnecessary, and really showed me the type of player that I think he is.

Likable - sure I can agree with that. Recognizable - yeah he is recognizable, and some people want to see only the elite moments. Some want to see only the "non-elite/borderline bad" moments. I have seen both, but have seen more "less than elite" play than "elite" play.

I agree that behind Teppo, he could be the franchise's most notable defenseman now, but OEL will probably have something to say about that with his play.

It's the same thing that gets re-hashed - every year he is projected by some to be a 60 or even 70 point scorer. Then he falls flat and it is like people forget that they pegged him to take that step. Same thing here - right now we are making a case to induct someone who falls below that threshold, yet pumping the tires like he has already hit that threshold.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oh, come on. Of course not. Fan favorite is not the justification for retiring a jersey. If he came back and played the majority of his career here, and posted really good numbers,then sure.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Oh, come on. Of course not. Fan favorite is not the justification for retiring a jersey. If he came back and played the majority of his career here, and posted really good numbers,then sure.
I agree he needs to come back and do it for a few more years before the discussion would be serious but let's not act like it's simply because he's a fan favorite, he was a very good player as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Numminen played for us for 15 years, was our captain, and is arguably one of the most underrated defenseman of all time.

Tkachuk played with us for 10 years, was our captain (although depending on how you ask, not a very good one :laugh:), scored 50 goals twice, and led the league in goals once with us, and is arguably a top-10 American player, all time.

Roenick, who has the weakest argument of three, had most of his accomplishments in Chicago, but was one of the most notable players in the league during his time here, helped put Phoenix hockey on the map, and is arguably a top-5 American player of all time.

Had all three played in a larger market or won a Stanley Cup, I think they would all be borderline Hall-of-Famers, and Roenick who actually did play in a notable market in Chicago, very well could get in the Hall-of-Fame in the next several years.

Yandle on the other hand, is a super cool dude, who scored 50 points for us twice. He needs to come back and play at high level for several more years to have a legitimate argument at getting his number retired, IMO, and it even then, it would mainly be because of sentimental reasons.

I'm not taking shots at Yandle or anything, I just feel he has a significantly weaker argument than Roenick and Tkachuk, both of whom have somewhat weak arguments to begin with (Roenick especially).

CC96 covered it. I just don't know how you question Teppo.

You got me on years (in some cases - I don't care about Winnipeg) Also individual accomplishments to some extent(though Teppo only reached 50 with us once). The team accomplished nothing with any of them though. Guess the same is true of Doan, though. I guess it just seems a little nuts that an organization that's sometimes mediocre and usually terrible would have so many numbers up in the rafters. Also, let me answer the OP(which inshouldbhave led with): No, Keith Yandle does not deserve to have his number raised.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
You got me on years (in some cases - I don't care about Winnipeg) Also individual accomplishments to some extent(though Teppo only reached 50 with us once). The team accomplished nothing with any of them though. Guess the same is true of Doan, though. I guess it just seems a little nuts that an organization that's sometimes mediocre and usually terrible would have so many numbers up in the rafters. Also, let me answer the OP(which inshouldbhave led with): No, Keith Yandle does not deserve to have his number raised.

The whole jersey retirement thing had nothing to do with actual accomplishments, it was a scheme from the Gretzky era to pretend that we have some sort of history / legacy. I mean, ****, Hull senior? Gretzky? Really? We don't need this **** anymore. Doan's jersey is a given. Outside of him, the next 10 - 15 years will tell, but right now no-one is a shoe-in.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The whole jersey retirement thing had nothing to do with actual accomplishments, it was a scheme from the Gretzky era to pretend that we have some sort of history / legacy. I mean, ****, Hull senior? Gretzky? Really? We don't need this **** anymore. Doan's jersey is a given. Outside of him, the next 10 - 15 years will tell, but right now no-one is a shoe-in.

There's a difference between retiring a number and just putting them on the ring of honor. The Winnipeg players were honored as such because, at the time, they had no other place for their careers to be recognized. It was the classy thing to do. I've yet to see a single Jets fan actually acknowledge and appreciate this. It's usually met with the childlike "you stole our history!", as if an organization would willingly take the history of the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad