OT: Will the Coyotes retire Yandle's number 3 after he retires?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Was thinking about this the other day, and I would venture to say no. He was a good player during his tenure here, but doesn't quite possess enough star power to earn a jersey retirement IMO.

For comparisons sake, Tkachuk and Roenick are considered among the best U.S. born players of all time, with both of them being 3rd., and 4th. all time in points, among Americans, and 3rd. and 4th. all-time in goals by an American.

FWIW, they basically put Phoenix on the hockey map during their time here, regardless of what most people thought of them off the ice. Tkachuk also led the league in goals twice, while playing with the Jets/Coyotes, and Roenick's crash-bang style, and his mouth made him one of the valley's biggest superstars, not to mention one of the most popular stars in the league, during his time here.

Even retiring their number was a bit of a stretch, IMO, and that's coming from someone who sees them as his two all-time favorite sports athletes.

I won't even bring up Teppo, because there's no way anyone can argue, that he didn't deserve his number retired.

Yandle IMO either needed to have a higher peak, or spent a few more years with the franchise, in order to have a strong argument for a number retirement. If he returns in the near future, for several years, I could definitely see him having an argument then.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Current retired numbers:

7 - Keith Tkachuk 332 games played 334 points
9 - Bobby Hull (Jets)
10 - Dale Hawerchuk (Jets)
25 - Thomas Steen (Jets)
27 - Teppo Numminen 551 games 269 points
97 - Jeremy Roenick 454 games 379 points
99 - Wayne Gretzky (NHL)

Seems logical when you consider Yandle has passed Numminen.
Both were drafted by the organisation
558 games to 551
65 goals to 55
246 assists to 214

But that's only in games for the Coyotes - Numminen has a heck of a lot more when you add in 8 seasons for the Jets.

Incidentally Michalek stands at 550 games now - he's poised to pass both of them in games played for the Coyotes to become second all time behind Doan. Marty Hanzal stands at second all time forward behind Doan with his 503 games.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I hope he comes back this summer.
When you consider team need and available cap space....Yandle back to AZ makes sense. Rangers are cap strapped and need to resign Kreider, Hayes and Miller in the offseason.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If he comes back and plays another few years here definitely, it's a maybe as of now imo.

Feb 12, 2003
I'm one of those people who think less is more and you don't raise them to the rafters unless there is a considerable distinction. Yandle was a very good player for us, but I don't revere him like I do the Repo Man for example. Roenick is even a stretch in a lot of regards. The only player that has played on the team the past couple of years that should have his name raised at this point is Doan. Others may earn their way, but they aren't there yet.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Current retired numbers:

9 - Bobby Hull (Jets)
25 - Thomas Steen (Jets)
99 - Wayne Gretzky (NHL)

I'm not sure that the Ring of Honor numbers (outside of Gretzky's which is a mandatory league-wide retirement) are fully retired. Duclair is currently wearing Hawerchuk's 10 and Gagner wore 9 last season; I'm also fairly certain someone wore Steen's 25 at one point.

At any rate, the first Coyote jersey to be completely retired is going to be Shane Doan's, and after that it's going to be a long time before anyone else's gets hung from the rafters. I don't believe Yandle qualifies as a retirement by the Coyotes unless he resigns here, which I think is rather a long shot.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Current retired numbers:

9 - Bobby Hull (Jets)
25 - Thomas Steen (Jets)
99 - Wayne Gretzky (NHL)

You can add #19 to the list...it's a good as done.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If you weren't an original Coyote, you don't get a pass for time served and accomplishments. I'm not even particularly happy about 7 and 97 being up there.

No to #3.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No to Yandle. But Chipchura...

Haha

Yandle has to have more time served to even get serious consideration, imo. I'd prefer great players with very long tenure be honoured. Yandle is very good, but not great. If he comes back and gets the captaincy long-term or something similar, you could probably make an argument for it, but I'd still be hesitant. I'm a HUGE Roenick fan from before he even got traded to Phoenix, but I'm not even sure that he belongs objectively.
There should be an arena wall to honour players and history that doesn't reach the level of lofting a jersey.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
19 should actually get retired, not just honored. No one else should get to wear 19. All of the other numbers? Open.

Hear hear. And I think 99 should be available just because of what Wayne did to the team. :naughty:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
#1 I think he would need to come back in order to put him there.

#2 I think that there needs to be some element of a notable record or achievement in a career.

Roenick and Tkachuk's achievements are known. Will Yandle be a candidate for the Hockey Hall of Fame? I know Steen and Numminen are not in, but Steen did incredible work in the Winnipeg community, etc. Numminen had held the record for most games played by a European born skater until Lindstrom passed him. I just don't know if there is that distinguishing factor quite yet and you have to ask if Yandle gets that type of recognition somewhere. Most goals by an American born D? Most games played by an American born D? Something like that and he gets in the conversation.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
As it stands now I'd say no but if he comes back, I think there would be a very good chance. I hope he does come back, I've always loved his game and I can just imagine it with players like Domi, Duke and others that will be entering the fold in the next couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad