GDT: Will the Canes need Xiaflex after this one? CAR-OTT

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think the problem with Bunting is he hasn’t looked great defensively. Rod doesn’t give much leeway when it comes to defensive assignments, screw up a few times and you’re in the shithouse for the foreseeable future. Fast track out of the shithouse, score a goal.
agreed plus he is not physical but rather a guy that just runs his mouth. I would have preferred the $4.5M be allocated for a power forward that hits

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m excited to see if we get some more of that wonderful, and by wonderful I mean completely asinine, Staal vs Stutzle commentary from the ol’ Tripper tonight.

"Did you see the way Staal purposely lost that face-off to Stutzle so that the puck would go behind the next and Martinook could forecheck, allowing Fast to steal the puck and feed a wide open Staal in front of the net? And Staal was being cerebral putting the puck into the goalies pads to try and get a rebound. Even though he didn't score, that's next level thinking from the captain!"

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
"Did you see the way Staal purposely lost that face-off to Stutzle so that the puck would go behind the next and Martinook could forecheck, allowing Fast to steal the puck and feed a wide open Staal in front of the net? And Staal was being cerebral putting the puck into the goalies pads to try and get a rebound. Even though he didn't score, that's next level thinking from the captain!"
Staal scored against Stutzles line during the first game. Phenomenal goal from Staal, really nice backhander if I remember correctly.

Then Tripp proceeded to go on a pretty good rant about how he wouldn’t trade a player like Staal in a million years for a guy like Stutzle.

Stutzle then proceeded to walk Staal like a dog and scored an almost highlight reel goal. The booth got pretty quiet for a few minutes after that one.

Canes Country has these lines in their write up from the morning skate apparently.

Brind’Amour apparently used the “blendomatic” for the lines in the morning skate.

23-20-24
86-82-88
48-11-71
58-18-28
Rod wasn’t ever going to break up the Staal line. At least not for any significant amount of time.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Plus doesn’t the Staal line have the worst goal differential of any line on the team right now?

Not really. here's the 5v5

Martinook-Staal-Fast: -1
Bunting-KK-Necas: 0
Bunting-Aho-Jarvis: +3
Bunting-Drury-Noesen: -1
Lemieux-Drury-Noesen: +2
TT-Aho-Jarvis: +5
Svech-KK-Necas: -1
Svech-Aho-Jarvis: +2
TT-KK-Svech: -1

I would bet none of those are, other than +5 are that statistically different given the minutes together. On top of that, Martinook-Staal-Fast play against the toughest competition and with the least Ozone starts than any other line. They don't score, but they've only given up 7 goals against in 239 minutes of 5v5 play. I'm confident that any other line facing that level of competition for that many minutes would have a much worse goal differential.
Really putting those analytics to solid use.

Actually, given their quality of competition, ozone starts, Goals against, xGA/60, xG%, possession, etc... keeping them together is probably putting analytics to solid use. Splitting them up to get more scoring and hurt defensively/analytic metrics would be the antithesis of analytics.

Reactions: ndp and chaz4hockey

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Magellan, a manul from Poznań Zoo has won in the 2023 World Cup.
TAKE HIS BLESSING.

Attachments

• IMG_9494.jpeg
    IMG_9494.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad