Will the Big (Bad) 3 be shipped out?

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I've noticed a lot of posters assuming that Kunitz, Sutter, and Scuderi, will either be traded or bought out. I'm wondering how many posters really believe this WILL happen. I for one do not think any of them are going anywhere (esp Kunitz), and would be shocked if they are (hopefully!).We can check this end of summer. Vote and voice your opinions!!!

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
DoUOTE=Winger for Hire;103620051]Isn't this why we have a roster building thread?[/QUOTE]

This thread is for a visual poll on what you think the team Will do this off season. That thread has what people would like to see and not what they think the team will actually Do

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You have much more faith than I do that this team will move the right people.

Well let's look at a few things

1) Most of us agree that this team uses the media to prepare the fans for moves

2) they have talked about going youth on defense

a) If you keep Lovejoy and Scuderi and you keep Letang and Cole, your youth movement on defense consists of Maatta and Pouliot, or basically the exact-same as last year. I think "youth movement" is overstated, but they will get one more of the AHL kids in there this year, and that will be in place of Scuderi

b) They have said they want two more top-6 wingers and they have said Dupuis is a 3rd-line winger.

Hornqvist is assuredly a top-6 guy, and Perron is likely a top-6 guy. If you are looking for two and you already have two, then it's safe to assume that Kunitz isn't one of them, and...

iii) They've said Bennett will start on the left side, which happens to be Kunitz's side. Bennett is not a 4th-line player, and he's clearly not going to start out in the top-6. So process of elimination seems to mean that Bennett - X - Dupuis will be the 3rd line.

c) Sutter's name has made it all the way to Bob McKenzie, which means it's definitely out there. He's also the best trade chip for that elusive top-6 guy.

All of the breadcrumbs are there. All 3 are easily movable (buyout for Scuds and Kunitz and Sutter have trade value).

penguins2946*

iii) They've said Bennett will start on the left side, which happens to be Kunitz's side. Bennett is not a 4th-line player, and he's clearly not going to start out in the top-6. So process of elimination seems to mean that Bennett - X - Dupuis will be the 3rd line..

Wait where was this said? I saw this get mentioned in the Speculation thread, but I never saw a source.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Well Sutter is being shopped and we have a lot better options than Rob Scuderi on defense that doesn't justify keeping him at his current cap hit.

So at least two out of the 3 are gone for sure. Kunitz, to me is a question mark, I can see us keeping him but in the end, I see all 3 being moved.

Guys, I know everyone's been down on management but the proof is right there, they will not keep Scuderi or Sutter, almost a 100% guarantee.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
There's probably a viable market for Sutter and he will probably go.

There's probably no market for Scuds and he will likely be on the ice opening night.

There's probably little/no mviable market for Kunitz (other than a 4th round or so) and he will also likely be on the ice opening night.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Wait where was this said? I saw this get mentioned in the Speculation thread, but I never saw a source.

It was a DK article that said they still think Beau can play LW. It's been wrongly assumed that they WILL play him at LW, as opposed to what the quote really was, which is they feel he can play either wing.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Well let's look at a few things

1) Most of us agree that this team uses the media to prepare the fans for moves

2) they have talked about going youth on defense

a) If you keep Lovejoy and Scuderi and you keep Letang and Cole, your youth movement on defense consists of Maatta and Pouliot, or basically the exact-same as last year. I think "youth movement" is overstated, but they will get one more of the AHL kids in there this year, and that will be in place of Scuderi

b) They have said they want two more top-6 wingers and they have said Dupuis is a 3rd-line winger.

Hornqvist is assuredly a top-6 guy, and Perron is likely a top-6 guy. If you are looking for two and you already have two, then it's safe to assume that Kunitz isn't one of them, and...

iii) They've said Bennett will start on the left side, which happens to be Kunitz's side. Bennett is not a 4th-line player, and he's clearly not going to start out in the top-6. So process of elimination seems to mean that Bennett - X - Dupuis will be the 3rd line.

c) Sutter's name has made it all the way to Bob McKenzie, which means it's definitely out there. He's also the best trade chip for that elusive top-6 guy.

All of the breadcrumbs are there. All 3 are easily movable (buyout for Scuds and Kunitz and Sutter have trade value).

I'm sorry IC, but I disagree. They said the same thing last year about needing a winger for Malkin, and signed Ehrhoff and didn't sign Kulemin (didn't mind that). They speak things to try to keep the price of FA down, and their own players trade values high.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It was a DK article that said they still think Beau can play LW. It's been wrongly assumed that they WILL play him at LW, as opposed to what the quote really was, which is they feel he can play either wing.

After going back and re-reading, I did misread the quote, but still believe it's being mentioned for a specific reason. Hell, even if you play Bennett on the rw, I still think Bennett and Dupuis are your 3rd line players. That means one of Kunitz or Perron is moved. Given the rumors last year, plus things I know, I do believe Kunitz will be moved.

I'm sorry IC, but I disagree. They said the same thing last year about needing a winger for Malkin, and signed Ehrhoff and didn't sign Kulemin (didn't mind that). They speak things to try to keep the price of FA down, and their own players trade values high.

You don't have to apologize for disagreeing :laugh:

They wanted to sign kulemin. They would have signed him. Kulemin was part of a package deal with Grabovski, and they weren't going to sign both. Kule was definitely their main target.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
After going back and re-reading, I did misread the quote, but still believe it's being mentioned for a specific reason. Hell, even if you play Bennett on the rw, I still think Bennett and Dupuis are your 3rd line players. That means one of Kunitz or Perron is moved. Given the rumors last year, plus things I know, I do believe Kunitz will be moved.

You don't have to apologize for disagreeing :laugh:

They wanted to sign kulemin. They would have signed him. Kulemin was part of a package deal with Grabovski, and they weren't going to sign both. Kule was definitely their main target.

Haha well I didn't want to sound disrespectful. I agree that Kule was their plan and then Ehrhoff coming cheap, and Grabovski going with Kule made it change... I don't believe for one second they can get two top six wings. I think they see this as where they are.

Perron Crosby Hornqvist
Kunitz Malkin XXX
Dupuis Sutter Bennett

Maybe Perron and Kunitz switch, maybe Bennett moves up and Kunitz goes to 3LW (Duper to 3RW).

I'm betting JR signs Tlusty and resigns one of Comeau/Winnik/Downie for the 4th line. It's not bad, buts there is not a lot of change.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kunitz - No, the team thinks this past season was just a blip on the radar for him, some misplaced iron pills..or whatever, they will give him a shot up until the deadline or before it, I think he'll be gone before the season ends.

Sutter - JR will likely shop him at the draft to get a pick and prospect/player.

Scuderi - The team will likely try to shop him with the teams he is willing to go to, if no takers are found, buyout is an option, but I doubt the team goes that route.

That's how I see the situations.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yes pls, add Dupuis to the list, too...

Just came in to post this. Dupuis is a far worse contract to carry than Sutter. We want Sutter shipped mainly because he can get us a good return (and because some here want to change the playstyle of the third line). We want Dupuis gone because he has an awful contract for a third liner, and because we don't know if he will handcuff the team post TD by missing even more time.

So having a 37 year old Dupuis on the roster next playoffs is a much worse proposition than having a 27 year old Sutter (who will be playing for a new contract) for half a million less.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't mind Dupuis if he's on the 3rd line, but that cap hit...no. The team won't move him though, he's a big part of the "Country Club."

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
There is no way to move Dupuis. Totally immovable contract imo.

Dupuis will absorb a lot of Sutter's minutes on PK. he will upgrade our overall team speed, an area that has also been identified as a need. and, with his training regimen, I have almost no concerns about him falling off a cliff physically.

a healthy Dupuis will dramatically upgrade our 3rd line. to say nothing of how he helps to enhance team chemistry.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There is no way to move Dupuis. Totally immovable contract imo.

Yup.

To go one step further... those of you who are so sure that he'll stay on the third line are either totally out to lunch or have been paying very little attention. He might... for the first, like... month.

Do any of you REALLY see the team being able to dig up TWO legit top six wings? Unless one of them is somehow Kapanen (which is a really big, potentially stupid stretch)? Dupuis will end up seeing quite a few shifts in the top six throughout the year.

Frankly the entire ordeal is terrifying. For a multitude of reasons.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think there's a chance they'll keep kunitz but not scuds or sutter. The writing is on the wall for sutter and the "youth movement" remarks circulating indicate to me that they won't want two wizened vets around on D. Lovejoy will become the "veteran mentor"of the d-core, unless they sign gonchar. Which i hope they don't.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dupuis will absorb a lot of Sutter's minutes on PK. he will upgrade our overall team speed, an area that has also been identified as a need. and, with his training regimen, I have almost no concerns about him falling off a cliff physically.

a healthy Dupuis will dramatically upgrade our 3rd line. to say nothing of how he helps to enhance team chemistry.

which is fine... I don't necessarily disagree, but it's not related to what I said. You can believe he'll rebound and be fine, but no one will trade anything for that contract right now. The guy is coming off a major knee injury and has blood clot concerns. There are major risks involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad