WJC: Will Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin Make the NHL Next Year?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I know Hall is great... I just dont see him at Tavares / Hedman / Stamkos / Doughty / P Kane level

I see him at E Kane / Van Remsidyk / Pietrangelo level. Maybe I am underestimating him, but I believe this because he has noticable flaws in his game that will affect him at the NHL level

Me thinks that if the Leafs had an opportunity to draft Hall, this poster would be wetting himself in anticipation of that eventuality. In watching hockey for over 50 years I have yet to see a minor/junior player who didn't have some 'flaws' in their respective game. Notwithstanding, Hall's vision and dynamic skating give him an opportunity to be something special in the NHL. This is franchise type player who will make the players around him better and help sell the game: flaws or not.

That is all.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
The extra year IS big and so are their roles on the team. Hall was a scorer (who did just that; third in tournament scoring in his first tournament when he's eligible next year and barely misses eligibility for 2012) and that's impressive nonetheless.

Honestly though, it's that nasty period of time when everyone thinks they know every player based on the few games they saw in this tournament.

Can anyone tell me what Hall's stats were if you take out the Latvian game?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not a chance. They play a completely different kind of hockey on bigger ice in the KHL, it would be Pejorative Slured to loan him to a KHL team.

Actually Hall's speed would be perfect for the bigger ice.

Based on what I saw at the WJC, Hall need a season playing with men before he's ready for the NHL. Too many junior tendencies, hogging the puck, loosing most of the battles near the corners. I think he'll get his 9 games and get sent to the juniors (all though a top league in Europe would suit him better). I'd like to see his stats at next year's WJC when Canada has to play Sweden, Russia and Czech Republic in their group.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
I think Hall will be in the NHL, simply because his weaknesses and blemishes will only get worse with another year dominating in junior. He holds on to the puck too long some times and tries to do too much himself. That won't get better if he goes back to the OHL, it will get worse.

Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Both will make it.

Team Canada made a stupid choice by not taking Seguin to the WJC....

Duchene never made the team last year and made the bounce to the NHL too...

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Both will make it.

Team Canada made a stupid choice by not taking Seguin to the WJC....

Duchene never made the team last year and made the bounce to the NHL too...

Well the question is are Seguin/Hall better all around players at this point than Ryan O'Reilly was last year?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Too many people are basing their opinion on the World junior tournament alone without watching the player on a consistent basis.

Duchene never made the World Junior last year, and Evander Kane played a limited part. Don't like the WJR fool you.

Now, whether they make the NHL is depended on the team that drafts them. They're both pretty close. Though, currently, Edmonton or Boston(2nd and 3rd) are in no need to rush the prospect. It's arguable whether Carolina needs to or not.

Though, Definitely. I feel Hall is ready.

Edmonton needs at least 1 great young player who can step in now, if they can have Eberle, Seguin/Hall and Paarjavi all in the lineup next season, that would be a huge boost. Carolina is last in scoring, there is no question to me that they need an elite pick who can play right away, I know Carolina has a bunch of young guys who will make the team next year, but an elite young guy to more than compliment them would certainly help, they could also use a good defensive D man too.

Last edited:

theranfordflop

Jul 2, 2003
Vancouver
It depends. If the Oilers draft him, he'll make the NHL, but then score nothing in his first ten, get sent back down, and never play another NHL game.

If anybody else drafts him he'll win the calder and have a long successful career.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I must be in the vast majority that actually think Seguin will jump into the NHL no problem next year (unless its the Bruins, but I think they'll go with Fowler). I think he'll actually have a bigger impact than Hall in his first year. They'll both make their NHL teams though, not only because they're good enough but because its a growing trend in the NHL for these high profile 1st rounders to stick with their teams, especially forwards.

And what's with people in this thread saying Hall was completely unimpressive in the WJC? That's just total BS. Saying Stamkos and Tavares were miles better is just untrue and total revisionist history.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I must be in the vast majority that actually think Seguin will jump into the NHL no problem next year (unless its the Bruins, but I think they'll go with Fowler). I think he'll actually have a bigger impact than Hall in his first year. They'll both make their NHL teams though, not only because they're good enough but because its a growing trend in the NHL for these high profile 1st rounders to stick with their teams, especially forwards.

And what's with people in this thread saying Hall was completely unimpressive in the WJC? That's just total BS. Saying Stamkos and Tavares were miles better is just untrue and total revisionist history.

IMO he was unimpressive..
he could've done a lot more with that much talent, he had one nice snipe and a couple highlight dangles but that's pretty much it, also if we're just comparing their junior careers Hall>Stamkos, but Tavares easily tops both of them.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
he could've done a lot more with that much talent, he had one nice snipe and a couple highlight dangles but that's pretty much it, also if we're just comparing their junior careers Hall>Stamkos, but Tavares easily tops both of them.

I'm just talking about WJC. Hall was light years ahead of Stammer and just as good as Tavares. Ya JT won MVP but let's face it, we all know Hodgeson was the real MVP. The last game JT showed up for was in the preliminary round vs the US. Hall came out in the Semis and was the difference vs. a strong Swiss team. He had a bad gold medal game but w/e, we all know he can play. he had 6g,6a as a draft eligible player. That's spectacular.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Unfair to judge based on a few WJC games, but ...

Hall struck me as a dynamic skater and puck-handler, with a quality shot, who hangs on to the puck too long. He didn't seem particularly aware of the players around him, not using his linemates well, and getting hammered several times (Carlson's hit in the Gold Medal game being a prime example). When his one-on-one moves didn't work, he was too easily pushed off the puck for a player his size. Fowler handled him pretty easily when they were on the ice together.

Based on what I saw, he's back in Windsor for another year.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Can anyone tell me what Hall's stats were if you take out the Latvian game?

vs. Latvia (2 assists)
vs. USA (1 goal, 2 assists)
vs. Swiss (2 goals and an assist)
vs. Slovakia (3 goals and an assist)

6-6-12 in 6GP.

There's no disparity on the stat sheet to speak of. He got the least points against the weakest team they played and 6 points in 4 games against the two strongest teams they faced.

Granted, he didn't look fantastic against the States either time, but Team Canada had two players that were considered top threats. One was a 19 year old who has tournament experience, one just turned 18 (only player on his team who wasn't draft eligible the year before) and had none. Stamkos didn't have to be that guy and Tavares had better help.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm just talking about WJC. Hall was light years ahead of Stammer and just as good as Tavares. Ya JT won MVP but let's face it, we all know Hodgeson was the real MVP. The last game JT showed up for was in the preliminary round vs the US. Hall came out in the Semis and was the difference vs. a strong Swiss team. He had a bad gold medal game but w/e, we all know he can play. he had 6g,6a as a draft eligible player. That's spectacular.

I wouldn't call him the difference maker vs the Swiss, all his points came after the gwg was scored. I don't know if you remember but it was Tavares who set up Jordan Eberle's tieing goal in the last 5secs vs the Russians in the semis last year..

Clownpipe*

I wouldn't call him the difference maker vs the Swiss, all his points came after the gwg was scored. I don't know if you remember but it was Tavares who set up Jordan Eberle's tieing goal in the last 5secs vs the Russians in the semis last year..

He didn't set it up so much, but more threw a blind backhand dump towards the general area of the net which hit a defenceman in the midsection and fortuitously bounced on to Eberle's stick lol.

See....I can downplay other's accomplishments too.:p:

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
Unfair to judge based on a few WJC games, but ...

Hall struck me as a dynamic skater and puck-handler, with a quality shot, who hangs on to the puck too long. He didn't seem particularly aware of the players around him, not using his linemates well, and getting hammered several times (Carlson's hit in the Gold Medal game being a prime example). When his one-on-one moves didn't work, he was too easily pushed off the puck for a player his size. Fowler handled him pretty easily when they were on the ice together.

Based on what I saw, he's back in Windsor for another year.

But they do work in the OHL. That's what I can't see him back in Jr. I don't see him making a huge impact in the NHL, but I don't think he will get the chance to get lazy by playing another season against inferior competition.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON

Tavares "easily" tops the guy who completely outplayed him when they met in last years playoffs and was Memorial Cup MVP to boot?

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
I think Hall will make the NHL next year, but will have a start like Stamkos did last year. He has some obvious holes in his game, but nothing that can't be worked out with a bit more experience. I don't think being in junior another year will help him out at all.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Based on past seasons and the fact that they may have to crack the Canes and Oilers forward groups, I'd be suprised if both of them didn't start the season with their big clubs and shocked if at least 1 of them didn't stick out of training camp.

mississauga jim

Aug 2, 2005
Who will play in the NHL next season

If Taylor Hall is selected #1 overall next June then for certain he will play in the NHL. Tyler Seguin who will get picked among the top five in the draft most likely will not but, he will get a 10 game try out with the team that selects him. Hall has something that is hard to describe when you see him play live; like another gear a more dynamic style that will suit the NHL just fine. It always amazes me how an elite player like a Hall or Seguin for that matter make the great adjustment to the next level.

Looking back those of you that made the argument about what deficiencies Hall and Seguin currently have are not wrong. Hall has had almost 3 full seasons of junior like an Eric Stall at the same stage and there were certainly questions about Eric's ability to make the jump. I could give you 20 examples of where a kid excelled at junior and did not adjust to the NHL or took some time.

The general rule of thumb in the NHL draft is that the top two or three players will play in the NHL following their draft. The rest of the draft is a crapshoot. As an aside, I saw Sidney Crosby in London a couple of years ago at the Memorial Cup and sat in the stands and asked myself if this kid was capable of making the jump. Crosby is not the dynamic player Hall is at a year older but Crosby's on ice intelligence is much further ahead. Hall however is a special talent and watching him play live will confirm that to most spectators.

Remember that Hall is going to get stronger and faster and playing with NHL'ers become a very productive player for many years to come. You can't ignore the fact that Hall was a year younger than most of the Canadians on his team( at the WJC) and still got prime ice time especially in the gold medal game vs. the U.S.. That leaves a huge impression on an NHL scout. Hall's points will come down the road with better team mates. I guess Eric Stall might have a new young dynamic
winger next October. Seguin could end up in Toronto and for sure he will not play in the NHL given Burke's attitude toward's young players.

Mr Lahey*

I don't see either making it. I'm not sold on either just yet. Hall got out muscled, but more than anything, I thought he was too greedy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad