WJC: Will Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin Make the NHL Next Year?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Hall will definetely play in the NHL next year, his skill and speed are off the charts. People forget what 8 months of development mean to these kids, its basically a life time.

I remember Gagner at the World Juniors was terrible, couldn't even earn a shift. Then by the time the Super Series came around 8 months later, the kid was unreal, so shifty and confident and played with so much smarts.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Hall is SO OVERRATED that it's just pathetic. The kid scores 6 goals in the WJC, while 5 of them were against the Swiss and the other one was a fluke that Mike Lee got pulled for. The kid is soooo overrated that it's actually quite irritating.

Fowler, Stepan, Eberle >>>>>>>>> Hall

lol are you watching the same player everyone else is?

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Hall is SO OVERRATED that it's just pathetic. The kid scores 6 goals in the WJC, while 5 of them were against the Swiss and the other one was a fluke that Mike Lee got pulled for. The kid is soooo overrated that it's actually quite irritating.

...aaaand there goes all your credibility.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

That's ridiculous, you can (or anybody who actually watched the games) clearly see in the WJC that Hall has enormous talent, he just has to learn how to use his teammates better and round out his game but keep in mind, HE'S 18 FREAKIN YEARS OLD. Once he matures, i'm pretty confident that he will turn into a high impact NHL player.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I posted this question in another thread, and I still stand by my guns; Hall makes the NHL next year 100%. I think Seguin has a good shot of making it to the NHL, but again, a bad team will be drafting him and probably would be rushing him into the NHL a little too soon.

I think Fowler is a 50-50 shot to stick in the NHL (I know the thread isn't about him, but I am pretty confident that is your top 3 picks), but it would not surprise me to see all three in the NHL next year.

Imagine if Atlanta keeps tanking games and drafts Fowler! Bogosian and Fowler on the same blueline would be crazy! It might be safe to say Carolina sticks at the bottom, and I am pretty sure they would go Hall at #1.

hockeyguy18*

Haha wow. You are going to feel pretty stupid in a year when you find out that isn't the case.

...or you will when I'm right. He's a wimpy hockey player and won't hack it in the NHL. I'm calling it right now.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
That's ridiculous, you can (or anybody who actually watched the games) clearly see in the WJC that Hall has enormous talent, he just has to learn how to use his teammates better and round out his game but keep in mind, HE'S 18 FREAKIN YEARS OLD. Once he matures, i'm pretty confident that he will turn into a high impact NHL player.

I'm not going to defend him, but I'll say this:

Judging by what we know about him at this moment, do you think he is better than the last 5 years of first overalls?

Who is he better than? Where would he rank in a top 10 list of first overalls?

I don't doubt he has talent or that he can become a good player. But if the first overall can only hope to get 40 goals at the height of his career it doesn't bode well for the rest of the draft.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Too many people are basing their opinion on the World junior tournament alone without watching the player on a consistent basis.

Duchene never made the World Junior last year, and Evander Kane played a limited part. Don't like the WJR fool you.

Now, whether they make the NHL is depended on the team that drafts them. They're both pretty close. Though, currently, Edmonton or Boston(2nd and 3rd) are in no need to rush the prospect. It's arguable whether Carolina needs to or not.

Though, Definitely. I feel Hall is ready.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007

Judging by what we know about him at this moment, do you think he is better than the last 5 years of first overalls?

I don't doubt he has talent or that he can become a good player. But if the first overall can only hope to get 40 goals at the height of his career it doesn't bode well for the rest of the draft.

Stupid to rank them in the first place. It's all about potential with player's not in the NHL and Hall has plenty of potential. It's way too premature to rank them.

Hall is a game breaker. He has shown that in every level of his game. He's a 17 year old, so it's completely understandable that he was trying to do things himself. He wasn't like John Tavares, when he was surrounded by already drafted player's like Hodgson and Eberle to help him out. Hall wasn't surrounded with that talent or leadership. You had Kadri, running around like maniac.

There's a reason why Hall's the centerpiece in the Windsor Spitfire's team. You can say as much as you want about the team being "Stacked" but it's because of Hall. If your basing things from the WJR, tell me, how good was Nemisz and Henrique at the tourney?

Hall has potential to score more than 40+ in his prime, but like every player, it depends on how they develop and who their playing with. You make it sound like, 40 goals is a bad thing....there really isn't many players in the NHL that can score 50...

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

It's difficult to compare all the #1's, they all have a ton of potential or else they wouldn't be considered top picks but based on recent history of #1 picks, i would say that there's a pretty good chance that Hall will pan out. Based on what i saw in the WJC, Hall has a ton of raw skill and despite all his shortcomings, he still looked like one of the most dangerous players on the ice most times, he seems to have a lot of desire to get to his spots and once his body fills out some more, he'll be difficult to stop.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Hall 6g6a Stamkos 1g 5a in thier draft year

Hall = 18
Stamkos was 17. Hall couldnt even make the team as a 17 year old.

Hall played with Kadri and Eberle on the PP
Stamkos played 4th line with Halischuk and Mathias

The 08 team was defense oriented and the competition was stronger. Czech Republic had 44 shots on us in 1 game. Canada in 08 didnt win a game by more than 3 goals, and didnt score more than 4 goals in any game.

Back to the topic. There is what I would do, and there is what will happen.

Hall will make the NHL, but I think he makes too many defensive errors. I would also like to see how he plays without Nemisz, Mitchell, Henrique, Fowler etc.

Seguin should make the NHL. I honestly feel he is more NHL ready than Hall, but I would still keep him in junior.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Hall = 18

I'm just sure the 3 1/2 month age difference made all the difference.

Did Stamkos not take a regular PP shift? It's been a while and I'm not sure I really remember right... Anyway, Taylor Hall spent his ES ice-time with a puck hogging turnover machine and a guy who only had one point on the tourney.

The 08 team was defense oriented and the competition was stronger. Czech Republic had 44 shots on us in 1 game. Canada in 08 didnt win a game by more than 3 goals, and didnt score more than 4 goals in any game.

Or the 08 team was younger and less inclined to blow out teams who couldn't defend us properly.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I'm just sure the 3 1/2 month age difference made all the difference.

Did Stamkos not take a regular PP shift? It's been a while and I'm not sure I really remember right... Anyway, Taylor Hall spent his ES ice-time with a puck hogging turnover machine and a guy who only had one point on the tourney.

Or the 08 team was younger and less inclined to blow out teams who couldn't defend us properly.

The age difference is big when they were a development year apart. Stamkos was in his 2nd season in the O, had to wear a cage (a big factor) and was the only 17 year old there except for the much hyped JT

Stamkos played the PP a little bit with Tavares, but I dont recall him playing much in the final.
As for Hall on ES. I counted blue line turnovers in Canadas last 3 games and Hall had about 10 more than kadri. Nemisz was useless, but there were quite a few times when Eberle and SDR got a shift with the big boys. Just to let you know, 7 of Hall's 12 pts came on the PP

The 08 team was based around D. The only superstar forwards were Tavares, Stamkos (17 YO's), Giroux and to an extent Turris. They were based around D, and it shows. 3 guys of the D core were in the NHL the next year, 2 (Pyett and Subban) are NHL ready, and Hickey will surely be a solid NHL'er

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Hall = 18

Back to the topic. There is what I would do, and there is what will happen.

Hall will make the NHL, but I think he makes too many defensive errors. I would also like to see how he plays without Nemisz, Mitchell, Henrique, Fowler etc.

Seguin should make the NHL. I honestly feel he is more NHL ready than Hall, but I would still keep him in junior.
Ok you may have a point on in some of what you say, but do not take away what Hall did because he was relied upon more then Stamkos was. Tied for third in points.
BTW I hope this is not a case of a Maple Leaf fan down playing a top prospect because they do not have a 1st round pick.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The age difference is big when they were a development year apart. Stamkos was in his 2nd season in the O, had to wear a cage (a big factor) and was the only 17 year old there except for the much hyped JT

The extra year IS big and so are their roles on the team. Hall was a scorer (who did just that; third in tournament scoring in his first tournament when he's eligible next year and barely misses eligibility for 2012) and that's impressive nonetheless.

Honestly though, it's that nasty period of time when everyone thinks they know every player based on the few games they saw in this tournament.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The extra year IS big and so are their roles on the team. Hall was a scorer (who did just that; third in tournament scoring in his first tournament when he's eligible next year and barely misses eligibility for 2012) and that's impressive nonetheless.

Honestly though, it's that nasty period of time when everyone thinks they know every player based on the few games they saw in this tournament.

I was just replying to someone who showed both Stamkos and Hall's stats at the WJC in their draft year. I was merely saying you couldnt do that.

And I do watch more hockey than the WJC. Last season I saw Hall play maybe 10 times. This season I saw him play 3 times against Plymouth.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Ok you may have a point on in some of what you say, but do not take away what Hall did because he was relied upon more then Stamkos was. Tied for third in points.
BTW I hope this is not a case of a Maple Leaf fan down playing a top prospect because they do not have a 1st round pick.

I know Hall is great... I just dont see him at Tavares / Hedman / Stamkos / Doughty / P Kane level

I see him at E Kane / Van Remsidyk / Pietrangelo level. Maybe I am underestimating him, but I believe this because he has noticable flaws in his game that will affect him at the NHL level

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hall was drafted to the KHL correct? In the slight chance he doesn't make the NHL, I wonder if the team that owns his rights would consider sending him there for a year?

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Not a chance. They play a completely different kind of hockey on bigger ice in the KHL, it would be Pejorative Slured to loan him to a KHL team.

trexall*

Taylor Hall is WILL be a better player then Stamkos, Patrick Kane, and Will be the next tier of superstar players just under Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin. You heard it here first. This guy is dynamite, hes close to 6'2, he scored 12 points in 6 games and was barely 18, in his first WJC event. I don't get understand how some trolls in here say this guy was not as dominant as Stamkos? P. Kane? Hodgson? during the WJC? Hodgson is nowhere near Hall's level in any facet of the game. Passing ..... maybe, but thats about it. Jordan Eberle and Tavares carried Hodgson all tournament long. Put me at center with those 2 dynamic goal scorers for 6 games heck even I might pop in 6 or 7 assists no problem. I can understand People comparing Tavares and Kane favourably when put up next to Hall.... but Hodgson, Evander Kane, Pietrangelo etc, these guys are a tier below Taylor Hall.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Taylor Hall is WILL be a better player then Stamkos, Patrick Kane, and Will be the next tier of superstar players just under Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin. You heard it here first. This guy is dynamite, hes close to 6'2, he scored 12 points in 6 games and was barely 18, in his first WJC event. I don't get understand how some trolls in here say this guy was not as dominant as Stamkos? P. Kane? Hodgson? during the WJC? Hodgson is nowhere near Hall's level in any facet of the game. Passing ..... maybe, but thats about it. Jordan Eberle and Tavares carried Hodgson all tournament long. Put me at center with those 2 dynamic goal scorers for 6 games heck even I might pop in 6 or 7 assists no problem. I can understand People comparing Tavares and Kane favourably when put up next to Hall.... but Hodgson, Evander Kane, Pietrangelo etc, these guys are a tier below Taylor Hall.

I endorse this post, it's so stupid that people are already calling him overrated based on a few games in the WJC in which he was still one of the top scorers in the tournament. The guy's skill set is immense and for the guy who called him whimpy earlier, he obviously hasn't watched Hall closely because he shows a ton of desire to get where he needs to get on the ice, he just needs to fill out a bit more physically.... The problems that he had during the WJC are fixable with maturity, he needs to use his teammates better and he needs to shore up the defensive aspect of his game and once he learns that, i truly believe that he could turn out to be just as good as anybody not named Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin, just watch and see and my Oilers will be back where they belong near the top of the league with Hall and Eberle leading the charge.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
i dont know much about hall but is he like duchene and uses his speed to create plays??

and is he faster then duchene or stamkos?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I dont know.. If he is picked as #1 he will probably go no matter if he is ready or not. I was greatly dissapointed in him since all i've heard was good things and he really didnt show much except blazing speed and him being a puckhog. I also thought he looked pretty weak, he got pushed around quite easy I thought.. obviously the talent is there... is it enough for him to go and dominate in the NHL straight away though?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: