WJC: Will Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin Make the NHL Next Year?

Feds on D

Mar 11, 2008
Göteborg, Sweden
I think this would be more fitting in the prospect forum, Seguin didn't even play in the WJC.

To answer the question... I'd say it's too early to tell, they both have the season left, play-offs after that and the off-season to really put their bodies together. It also depends on which team they get drafted by.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I think this would be more fitting in the prospect forum, Seguin didn't even play in the WJC.

To answer the question... I'd say it's too early to tell, they both have the season left, play-offs after that and the off-season to really put their bodies together. It also depends on which team they get drafted by.

Sorry. I just thought it's really a question of will they be able to play in the juniors next year, so that was my connection.

Feds on D

Mar 11, 2008
Göteborg, Sweden
Sorry. I just thought it's really a question of will they be able to play in the juniors next year, so that was my connection.

Ah, I see. I don't think it's impossible to see them both in the WJC next year. But some teams (read: Carolina) are desperate for change and something to feel good about I'd imagine, and if they get Hall, I think he'll be with the big club. But as I said, it feels like it's alittle early to speak about this to be honest.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I vote for Hall to make it, Seguin to wait another year. Although to be honest, I don't feel like I have seen Seguin enough yet to really be confident with that answer. He may be more ready than I give him credit for.

With Hall, I think he has already had all the big game exposure - and will get more - and with his speed, he can make a place in the NHL straight away. He will probably do something Stamkosesque as a rookie, IMHO. But I think he can handle the NHL. He's mature, he has played both ends well enough. His ultimate forte will be as a gamebreaking quick strike offensive player long term. But he can survive in the NHL now while he figures out how to bring that at the next level, much as Stamkos did.

mooseOAK*

Unless Hall changes his game from what I have seen and learns to distribute the puck more he will get hammered in the NHL, IMO.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I was greatly disappointed by Hall in both games vs the USA. It was a sharp contrast from guys like Tavares, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin...guys that were clearly on another level from everyone else. We have a tendency to hype up every concensus number 1 pick around here, but going on the small sampling I've seen (WJCs and several Windsor games in which I was watching Ryan Ellis), he looks more like a good bet to be a very good\borderline star player..as opposed to the franchise superstar of someone like Crosby.

As to the original poster's question...I'd be very surprised if Taylor Hall was NHL ready in the fall.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
I was greatly disappointed by Hall in both games vs the USA. It was a sharp contrast from guys like Tavares, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin...guys that were clearly on another level from everyone else. We have a tendency to hype up every concensus number 1 pick around here, but going on the small sampling I've seen (WJCs and several Windsor games in which I was watching Ryan Ellis), he looks more like a good bet to be a very good\borderline star player..as opposed to the franchise superstar of someone like Crosby.

As to the original poster's question...I'd be very surprised if Taylor Hall was NHL ready in the fall.

I agree. Hall reminds me a bit of Paul Kariya (when Paul was in his prime), but with more speed and less hockey IQ. Guys like that need to mature significantly before making the big show. I like Hall a lot but I can't see him suiting up in the NHL for at least another year.

sensfan83*

Considering how much Petriangelo improved in one yr, I don't see why Hall couldn't make similar improvements by next season. Training with an NHL team for an entire summer after the experience of the WJC and a long OHL playoffs and maybe playing in the memorial cup could do wonders for the kid. He's obviously not ready as of jan. 8, 2010, but he could be ready in 8 months.

Seguin might be more ready though... he has been improving at a ridiculous rate. It's still a shame he wasn't on Team Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Hall- 100% yes. Three years in junior hockey and a world junior is enough experience for him. He's too much of a dynamic gamebreaker for the team that drafts him not to have him play.

Seguin- probably not. He's a year younger than Hall and will have only played two seasons in the OHL. Its possible that he could be kept but I presume the team that drafts him will definitely want him to get another year of junior hockey under his belt as well as play in the World Juniors.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Hall has done just about everything you can do at the OHL level and dominates on most nights.

I really don't think there is much left for him to do at the OHL level. That being said, I'm interested/concerned with how his game will translate to the pro level. Not so much AHL, but NHL.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I don't think Hall will.

He didn't look as dominant as Tavares or Hodgson out there. Hall will get his 9 games and go back to juniors.

Hall is already ahead of Hodgson in terms of his development for the NHL. It is much easier for a guy like Hall who is such a dynamic skater and puck hound as a winger, then it is a for a centre like Hodgson who lacks some footspeed. NHL teams love speed more then anything.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hall for sure, i don't know much about Seguin so hard to tell with him but usually teams that draft in the top 3 are poor teams so Hall or Seguin will probably be a better option than anybody else who those teams throw out there.

UncleBob

Mar 1, 2008
i don't think hall will make it cause he's to small, he was being dominated most nights on the boards by most d-men. He did play good but no where near as good as tavares and stamkos.

BobbyRyan9

Let's Go Bruins!
May 26, 2008
As far as player development goes, Hall is farther along the pipeline than Seguin is. Not taking anything away from Seguin, because his potential as a player in the NHL is enormous. With that said, I think Hall is going to struggle a lot in his rookie season. His defensive abilities are virtually absent, but that is something he can learn as time progresses. My feeling is that you'll see Hall spend the entire season in the NHL. Seugion will probably make it to the end of training camp atleast. Don't be surprised if you see him playing in a couple of regular season NHL games. I think it would be beneficial to see how he reacts to the NHL with a little bit of playing time. Then before he reaches his ten game NHL mark, send him back to juniors for the remainder of the season. This will give him the opportunity to play in the WJC at Buffalo and further his game even more on the big stage.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't think Hall will.

He didn't look as dominant as Tavares or Hodgson out there. Hall will get his 9 games and go back to juniors.

I GUARANTEE that Hall is in the NHL next year unless he completely craps the bed in training camp.

FlamesWillRiseAgain

May 18, 2009
I'm at least 95% sure that both of them will be in the NHL next year. I highly doubt either of them don't make it, especially in today's game.

hockeyguy18*

Hall is SO OVERRATED that it's just pathetic. The kid scores 6 goals in the WJC, while 5 of them were against the Swiss and the other one was a fluke that Mike Lee got pulled for. The kid is soooo overrated that it's actually quite irritating.

Fowler, Stepan, Eberle >>>>>>>>> Hall

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Hall is SO OVERRATED that it's just pathetic. The kid scores 6 goals in the WJC, while 5 of them were against the Swiss and the other one was a fluke that Mike Lee got pulled for. The kid is soooo overrated that it's actually quite irritating.

I'm beginning to think so too. I had the same reservations about Stamkos as well. But if it's true it's a bad sign for the '10 draft class.

Just so happens when the Oilers could very well pick one of these players :facepalm:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Haha wow. You are going to feel pretty stupid in a year when you find out that isn't the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad