Will Tampa threepeat?

Will Tampa threepeat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I don’t think so. They’re $4M over the cap with only 11F, 5D, and 1G signed.

They could trade Tyler Johnson + picks to Seattle which would free up $5M but they need more room than that. They have to probably also move Palat and/or Killorn and/or Gourde to fill out their roster. Big, important pieces that will be tough to replace. With Kuch, Hedman, Vas, Stamkos, Point, and McD they will always be one of the best teams but not to the level they were this year.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
What do you mean apparently last two seasons don't count they get an asterisk mark next to their covid cups, but for real in a full 82 most likely not

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I wish! But it's incredible difficult to win back-to-back cups in the salary cap era..to win three in a row..so I don't think so, but I reckon we will still be a contender, so with some luck, who knows :)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think this season will claim its pound of flesh from Tampa.
Unless guys like Goodrow and Coleman are willing to waste their last chances at a decent payday (Which seems unlikely considering I think Coleman will have 4 million dollars lined up elsewhere, and 2-3 for Goodrow with some term) and magically another player needs a surgery that'll keep him out to just as the season ends.... it's just unlikely they'll have the depth that won them this cup.

I think they'll still be a top team in the league, but, honestly, take out Goodrow, Coleman, Killorn, Palat and Johnson... and I just don't see how they even get past the Isles.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Aren't they already over the cap with a handful of roster spots to fill?

I wouldn't count their core out if they're healthy, but they stand to lose a lot of depth.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It would surprise even me. But if we did, I fully expect it to not count for some reason and we'd simply have a 4th asterisk

"for some reason" Just can't put my finger on it, but for some reason..Allow every other team to add an extra 18M worth of players to their roster and Tampa might not have made it past Florida in the 1st round. They're already 3.5M over the cap for next year and still need to sign 5 forwards, 3 D, and a backup goalie.

Tampa won't threepeat unless someone with a big contract gets "injured"

Tampa fans will never admit it, but everyone knows playing 18M above the cap due to circumvention is clearly abusing a loophole and by all means deserves an asterisk. Just remove the hard cap altogether and make it an even playing field at this point.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
"for some reason" Just can't put my finger on it, but for some reason..Allow every other team to add an extra 18M worth of players to their roster and Tampa might not have made it past Florida in the 1st round. They're already 3.5M over the cap for next year and still need to sign 5 forwards, 3 D, and a backup goalie.

Tampa won't threepeat unless someone with a big contract gets "injured"

Tampa fans will never admit it, but everyone knows playing 18M above the cap due to circumvention is clearly abusing a loophole and by all means deserves an asterisk. Just remove the hard cap altogether and make it an even playing field at this point.

Imagine being this shitty about a guy with a groin injury when he won the Cup not having hip surgery. You DO realize injuries lead to others?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
At present I'm going to say no. Willing to change my mind depending what the team looks like when they run it back next year.

There's far too much roster uncertainty there to convincingly says yes IMO. If they managed to keep the exact same roster then yes, it's not any more difficult than two-peating. They're above the cap now with 11 FWD, 5D, 1G.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I’m going with no, and I predicted them to 2-peat

They’ll be worn out from playing so much hockey and they’re going to lose a lot of key contributors this offseason

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2021-7-8_8-54-1.jpeg

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I said "no" for a couple of reasons:
1. It is exceptionally hard to repeat, never mind threepeat.
2. They may not be able to "cheat" again (salary cap, people).

... if they can manipulate the loopholes like they did this year, then they just might threepeat.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Better yet imagine being champion right now. It's all anyone else can do

Imagine being 18M over the cap and bragging about it, Tampa would not have made it past the 1st round if every other team was 18M over as well.

This is pretty much equivalent to a Leafs fan bragging about winning a cup when there was only 6 teams in the league. Much easier to do.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Aren't you a Leafs fan? Lmao at your team abusing the LTIR worse than anyone

Who on the leafs was put on LTIR for the entire season and conveniently activated when the playoffs started and then had an active roster 9.5M over the cap, and a total roster 18M over the cap ?

Assuming they were available, we could've added Hedman + Pietro to our current rosters to be equal to what Tampa spent LOL.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
there's 19 million decisions that gotta be made first. I'm not sure how much of the band will still be together next season, but I imagine they'll still be very competitive with Kucherov, Hedman, and Vasilevskiy as cornerpieces.

It also depends on if they go back to the old divisions or not. Not saying they had an easy path, but not having to deal with the Bruins or the Leafs is certainly a thing.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Who on the leafs was put on LTIR for the entire season and conveniently activated when the playoffs started and then had an active roster 9.5M over the cap, and a total roster 18M over the cap ?

Assuming they were available, we could've added Hedman + Pietro to our current rosters to be equal to what Tampa spent LOL.

Naw instead you threw all your money at Marleau and JT and now you gotta pay a failing Mitchy Boii twice as much as Point to fail in the playoffs to keep up with the cost of a free agent you didn't need

You keep forgetting the tax advantage we have and it's remarkably disappointing

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Naw instead you threw all your money at Marleau and JT and now you gotta pay a failing Mitchy Boii twice as much as Point to fail in the playoffs to keep up with the cost of a free agent you didn't need

You keep forgetting the tax advantage we have and it's remarkably disappointing

Meh, or just throw JT on LTIR, frees up 11M, add some depth and activate him in time for the playoffs !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad