Will Stefan Matteau stick with the Devils?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Matteau's a stopgap until Darche gets in game shape and he (Matteau) gets his five-game feel for the NHL. Tedenby's a placeholder until Henrique gets back. Then they can at least have something resembling four lines, although having Larsson sit isn't doing anyone any good.

apice3*

Whatever the circumstance, there's no point in burning an ELC year when he's going to play single-digit minutes most of the time regardless.

Maybe Lou and company think he has maxed out his abilities in the Q and that going back there serves no purpose. It's entirely possible that playing 10 minutes a night while being coach in the NHL could be more beneficial than 20 minutes in the Q where he already outmuscles most players.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe Lou and company think he has maxed out his abilities in the Q and that going back there serves no purpose. It's entirely possible that playing 10 minutes a night while being coach in the NHL could be more beneficial than 20 minutes in the Q where he already outmuscles most players.

It is possible. It is the main reason Larrson isn't in Albany right now. I honestly don't know, I mean if we weren't so thin at forward it would be a no brainer to send him back, but even with Henrique coming back, Darche lurking around. With Tedy not looking so hot, and the mere unknown factor with what you can get on the trade market he could end up staying.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

How has he maxed out when he didn't even make the WJC, largely because of his over-the-top nature that's already gotten him suspended once or twice? There's nothing wrong with having him mature a little more down there. It's obvious he'll probably be in the lineup next year. If he was going to be in the lineup this year, I think they'd just send Darche on his merry way.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How has he maxed out when he didn't even make the WJC, largely because of his over-the-top nature that's already gotten him suspended once or twice? There's nothing wrong with having him mature a little more down there. It's obvious he'll probably be in the lineup next year. If he was going to be in the lineup this year, I think they'd just send Darche on his merry way.

Ehh true but they could also be keeping him around just for depth purposes. We are so thin that one more injury opens a pretty large hole in the lineup. You may very well be right, but there are other reasons to keep Darche floating around at the moment.

apice3*

The WJC has no bearing on how ready a player is for the NHL. So many players on every team are picked on a seniority basis. Plus, like the Olympics, it's a skills tournament. You don't need to have elite skills to have a role in the NHL. A player like Matteau can succeed just on physicality alone while improving other areas with the best coaches in the world.

Matteau needs to work on his skills to become a very good player. In the Q, he's going to excel because he's going to continuously use his strength where he has a distinct advantage. His skill development could be hindered in that league, simply because he doesn't need it there.

RHilla619

Jan 4, 2010
Marlboro
Unless he starts producing, or atleast making us notice him on the ice like Jossefson has been recently, he will get sent back IMO.

I mean someone has to go when Henrique is back in the lineup, which appears to be happening sooner than most expected.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
for those who say they want to see production from him before keeping him here...what has janssen and barch shown us..absolutely no hockey ability. matteau shows he can p;ay on a top 9 role and be effective with his physicality and more importantly his skill. Stats do not mean he has not played well. The little things he did in the game tonight in the break out from the defensive zone should not be ignored. Very smart hockey player

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
He still has some skating and defensive issues that he needs to get worked out. Let him do it the Q while hopefully scoring a few goals and saving an ELC year

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
At the start of the season, I would have told you that you were crazy if you thought he'd be here for the season.

After 3 games, he might stick. But in the salary cap era, it's not worth burning the ELC...

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
I don't think he has been bad at all, and I like his energy. However, he hasn't shown enough aside from legs and game sense to make me think that he'll be more than a 4th liner or fill-in 3rd liner this season. I'd send him down and let him develop his offensive game with more ice time.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Send him back and let him develop his offensive game more. He does look like he belongs in the NHL already but it will benefit him longterm to play some more junior hockey.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
It's a really tough call right now. There are pros and cons, in my opinion for either decision. Sending Matteau back to the Q would be good for his development in many ways, but it's possible it could also neuter his physical game with how much they give out suspensions for what would be considered NHL level physical play. (I've been hearing Matteau's been suspended for hits that would be considered a penalty at worst in the NHL)
I actually feel that's part of the reason we brought him up to begin with, so he wouldn't feel like he had to cut back on his physicality to be successful.
Keeping him in the NHL could benefit him if/when he starts earning more minutes and responsibility, both of which are definitely possible for him considering his hockey smarts and the tools he possesses. It won't make much sense to keep him around if he's only playing 5-7 minutes a night though.

He has not looked out of place and in the brief time we've seen him, he's been noticeable in a very good way.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Nah, not this year. There's really no good in having an 18-year old forward playing 5-8 minutes a night. He's going back to juniors.

The Devils will sign Darche once the 5 games are up.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I don't think he has maxed out his abilities there. He can still develop his offensive game further with another year in the Q.

Send him back and let him develop his offensive game more. He does look like he belongs in the NHL already but it will benefit him longterm to play some more junior hockey.

Exactly. Build up his confidence in his offensive game, develop his shooting skills and power game some more, and then bring him back next year. He''s got the taste of the NHL now, he'll be hungry.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I vote for sending him back to the Q. I really like what we've seen from him so far, but I don't see him being effective over 48+ games.

Matteau has hung on nicely, but he hasn't made the case that he has to be here.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Unfortunately, we can't send him to the AHL, because I think that would be best for him. He's physically dominating in the Q, but in the AHL, he won't be able to dominate everyone physically like he does in the Q. It would allow him to focus more offensively, etc.

I think the consensus for everyone is that he is a good third/fourth liner right now, but he has the potential to be better offensive, skating-wise and defensively, so there's no reason to burn one year of his ELC as a 7-10 minute fourth liner.

However, his last remaining hope to stick around is to impress alongside Kovalchuk and Zajac. If he can do that and develop some chemistry (it seems like no one has fit right on that line so far), the Devils may keep him for the year. The only problem is that he has only two games to prove that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad