Will Stefan Matteau stick with the Devils?

grahamgill31450

Sep 28, 2012
Montreal, QC
Do you think Stefan Matteau Jr. will stay with the Devils this season? He currently has an uneventful 2 games under his belt, racking up 2 penalty minutes in the process. Will the Devils keep him (at the expense of using a year of his entry level contract) or will they send him back down to the Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL).

DevilChuk*

Do you think Stefan Matteau Jr. will stay with the Devils this season? He currently has an uneventful 2 games under his belt, racking up 2 penalty minutes in the process. Will the Devils keep him (at the expense of using a year of his entry level contract) or will they send him back down to the Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL).

You probably haven't been watching the games because he's been great, far from uneventful.

Not sure if he'll stick though.. definitely making it a tough decision.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm 55/45 or maybe 60/40 that he goes back.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
IMO he isn't ready to play in the NHL just yet. Send him back down.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
I really think they'll send him back down. He has been playing very well though and has been a pleasant surprise.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
I think he'll be sent back, but not because of his play. More so a roster situation and let him develop even more.

DevilsAnimal*

Technically speaking, its just Stefan Matteau, there is no Stephan Matteau Jr

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They will send him back. Nothing to do with his play, it just isn't best for him to stay and play 5-10 minutes a night. Darche is still hanging around for a reason.

But this is a good experience for him.

apice3*

Devils will make the right decision. I understand the benefits of both options, but the Devils are great with developing players.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I don't think so although he has shown great promise in the coming years.

Doesn't matter either way cause we need Henrique back soon and Tedenby to play like a normal top 6 winger or someone who can.

ZadorovNJD*

Send him back, no need to burn a contract year. Henrique will be back anyway.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
There is no way he stays. The dude only played 5:49 today granted there wasn't a lot of EV time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There is no way he stays. The dude only played 5:49 today granted there wasn't a lot of EV time.

You stated the reason why he played so little. We spent nearly the entire 3rd period on the PK, major reason he got so little ice time. Also Pete was doing a lot of mixing and matching with the lines, and seemed to be rewarding some guys with extra ice time (at least it seemed like that. Swear JJ was out there more then usual).

I still don't know, but I am leaning at the moment on the side of him staying. Last two games will have a big say in the matter.

Spiral21x

Nov 6, 2011
Probably won't keep him, but I liked what I saw against philly. He has fast feet and had some good scoring chances. It's a rare case for an 18 year old to stay so that's why I doubt they'll keep him. There's very few guys that are ready at that age and it's too easy to stunt their development that way.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Whatever the circumstance, there's no point in burning an ELC year when he's going to play single-digit minutes most of the time regardless.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Whatever the circumstance, there's no point in burning an ELC year when he's going to play single-digit minutes most of the time regardless.

Exactly.

At this point, he's not that much of an upgrade over someone like Bernier or Carter. He's not wowing you on the ice and putting up points, or playing in key situations. I'm perfectly fine with using him as a stopgap until Henrique gets back, I understand it, but he's not contributing enough, in my opinion, to burn one of his cheap years.

He needs to go back to the Q work on his skating and decision making a bit, things that will come with time, instead of being rushed into the NHL. I have no doubt in my mind he could be a nice third line or fourth line forward this year, but we can sign Darche or someone like that to bring what he brings, without burning a year of his ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad