Will Stefan Matteau stick with the Devils?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
If he sticks iwth Kovy and Zajac then he can go buy a house. or whatever the equivalent is to sleeping in zubrus's garage

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The problem right now is it seems like none of the lefties fit on the wing alongside Kovalchuk and Zajac.

Zubrus looked decent, Tedenby didn't really do much (probably wasn't given the time, but regardless), they even tried Carter and JJ there.

Once this team gets a winger that plays very well with Kovalchuk, we are set. If Matteau is that guy, then like someone said, he will be here for the rest of the season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'll say send him down. Having had the taste, and playing well, I think that would send him back with some real good confidence and a real drive to get ready for next year.

Just fear, if he stayed, we'd see a lot of those 5 minute nights, and then the frustation of a Larsson scenario once the playoffs starts.

I'd think he'd grow more in Jr's.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The problem right now is it seems like none of the lefties fit on the wing alongside Kovalchuk and Zajac.

Zubrus looked decent, Tedenby didn't really do much (probably wasn't given the time, but regardless), they even tried Carter and JJ there.

Once this team gets a winger that plays very well with Kovalchuk, we are set. If Matteau is that guy, then like someone said, he will be here for the rest of the season.

But there is also the trade possibility/probability lurking out there.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
But there is also the trade possibility/probability lurking out there.

No doubt about it.

There's also guys like Kostitsyn (who is playing in the KHL but went to the Panthers training camp). IMO, I'd rather see Kostitsyn over Sykora because he's younger and a lot more physically. Statistically, they are pretty similar over the last couple years.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'd like to see him continue to develop his offensive game in the Q. Putting up close to a P/G is good, but I want him to keep pushing to get better. He still has things he can learn there.

He is ready for the NHL, but not ready for the role we want him to play, if that makes sense.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
Unfortunately, we can't send him to the AHL, because I think that would be best for him. He's physically dominating in the Q, but in the AHL, he won't be able to dominate everyone physically like he does in the Q. It would allow him to focus more offensively, etc.

I think the consensus for everyone is that he is a good third/fourth liner right now, but he has the potential to be better offensive, skating-wise and defensively, so there's no reason to burn one year of his ELC as a 7-10 minute fourth liner.

However, his last remaining hope to stick around is to impress alongside Kovalchuk and Zajac. If he can do that and develop some chemistry (it seems like no one has fit right on that line so far), the Devils may keep him for the year. The only problem is that he has only two games to prove that.

100% agree and it will make the decision incredibly difficult on Lou if he does impress. He may streal tedenby's spot on the team which is fine by me. If he can get ~10 mins a night that is great.

He's like a young Randy mckay/david Clarkson and with Clarkson in the top 6 it has been missing on the 3rd/4th line. Maybe he can even displace barch and barch gets an amnesty buyout at end of season. :D

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I say send him back to the Q after tonight, call up Butler/sign Darche to fill in until Henrique gets back, unless Lou really sees something where Mattaeu can contribute this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->