Will Stastny Stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Its not just the concussions. Its the combination of concussions (plural) + poor performance + high price-tag. It is fortunate for him that he is under contract next year and will have an opportunity to play himself back into the conversation as an NHL goalie.

Even if it is correct that "a lot of teams could do much worse than to have Mason as a backup" it would be at a salary of 1.0-1.4 mil. That's what backup goalies make.

If he plays well for the Jets next year he will have value when he goes back into the UFA market next off-season. In the trade market right now? I don't think he has any value at all. I don't think we could get a 7th for him if we retained the max 50%.

I agree with all that. What I disagreed with was when you said he'd have to get an AHL gig or a job in Europe.

If the Jets bought out Mason he'd land a new NHL gig (as a back up) in short order. But no, not at 4 mil.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with all that. What I disagreed with was when you said he'd have to get an AHL gig or a job in Europe.

If the Jets bought out Mason he'd land a new NHL gig (as a back up) in short order. But no, not at 4 mil.

I didn't say he would need to go to the AHL or Europe. I said he might have to do that if he wasn't under contract. I'll stand by that. I don't believe anyone would offer him an NHL contract if the Jets bought him out this year.

I could be wrong of course. We'll never know because it won't happen. But if he doesn't rebuild his reputation next year he will probably need to go that route - or retire.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I have to think Mason's year was an aberration. He couldn't possibly be as unlucky again could he. He makes way too much for a back-up albeit only 1 more year. I thought he was fine for us when he played but we definitely need more than 10 games from him or whatever it was. Dumping him is too tough right now and we might regret it.

Reactions: Ippenator and GNP

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The sales pitch is one season, playing with 2 all stars, one being a generational goal scorer, will allow him to put up solid points, make playoffs and a very strong shot at a cup. If Stas can put up 60 to 70 points in that situation, he easily finds a 5x7m next offseason.

I think they found a way to unearth 6m for this season, and will use it to sign him to a one year deal, and give it one more shot at winning a cup, then sign his last contract for his career.

Reactions: FFHockey

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Did this info on the house being built come from the same source that said Elliott hired a real estate agent last summer to look for a house in Winnipeg for him?

Reactions: Gotaf7 and DRW204

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Funny thing is Stastny didn't really get to experience the cold part of Winnipeg yet. He was here when the cold wasn't so bad in our terms and was just starting to warm up in March.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Lunch on academy, infill house in established area... could be the new homes at Grosvenor and lanark, where the park used to be

But there are also some teardown rebuilds on wellington that would fit the bill. Those aren’t really ‘infill’ though

Oh. Where I went to first grade when Sir John Franklin Elementary was still standing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Its not just the concussions. Its the combination of concussions (plural) + poor performance + high price-tag. It is fortunate for him that he is under contract next year and will have an opportunity to play himself back into the conversation as an NHL goalie.

Even if it is correct that "a lot of teams could do much worse than to have Mason as a backup" it would be at a salary of 1.0-1.4 mil. That's what backup goalies make.

If he plays well for the Jets next year he will have value when he goes back into the UFA market next off-season. In the trade market right now? I don't think he has any value at all. I don't think we could get a 7th for him if we retained the max 50%.
So if a forward or defenseman had 9 seasons of good production and then in year 10 they had an injury plagued season their value would drop to 25% of what it was? IMO Mason is a much better goalie than people are giving him credit for and has an established resume to fall back on. While he wouldn't fetch $4.1 on the market, IMO he hasn't dropped all the way down to career backup either.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If the Jets are going to be Stanley Cup contenders -- they will need to do it with their "youth'--and not older plug in rentals. It was the Jet's youth like Helle, Laine, Scheif, Ehlers, Connor,Morrissey,Trouba etc,--that got them to be the 2nd best team in point production in the standings

I think Little is just as good as Statsny, and if he's not they are very close. The key to the Jet's will be to develop Roslovic as a good 2nd or 3rd center. We don't need another expensive older guy that will hinder negotiations with our young stars.

If Roslovic cannot fit in as a second line center--we should trade for one, and if Trouba is signed ( very likely)--that will mean giving up Myers or Perrault --"or somebody"--that will bring a great return ??

For this reason I cannot see Chevy being interested at all in signing him. He was excellent for what he was brought in to do - "and was a great rental."

What would be the use in signing a guy who's in "decline"--going on 33 yrs old, and who will want like $ 5-6 mil over 4 years. I think Chevy is smarter than that. He was smart to let Ladd go--we don't need another situation like that.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Oh. Where I went to first grade when Sir John Franklin Elementary was still standing.

I went there grades K - 3.

I went there K-6.

Nothing but new houses now on the old school grounds with a rumour that a pending Jets UFA is possibly building a home there.

Just took a walk through earlier today with no sign of #25 working a saw and nailer. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ps241

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The sales pitch is one season, playing with 2 all stars, one being a generational goal scorer, will allow him to put up solid points, make playoffs and a very strong shot at a cup. If Stas can put up 60 to 70 points in that situation, he easily finds a 5x7m next offseason.

I think they found a way to unearth 6m for this season, and will use it to sign him to a one year deal, and give it one more shot at winning a cup, then sign his last contract for his career.

If it's one year I dont care how much money we give him lol

Okay maybe not over 7 but yeah...

Reactions: Halberdier

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If it's one year I dont care how much money we give him lol

Okay maybe not over 7 but yeah...

The most I'd go on Stastny is $ 5- 5.5 mil/ 2 years-absolute tops. I think you'll see Roslovic put up more points next season if given the opportunity. I'd be very disappointed if he was not a regular on the team.

I prefer the Jet's don't sign him-- look for someone younger with upside.

Note--we won most of our games without him--and we'll continue to do so.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

The most I'd go on Stastny is $ 5- 5.5 mil/ 2 years-absolute tops. I think you'll see Roslovic put up more points next season if given the opportunity. I'd be very disappointed if he was not a regular on the team.

I prefer the Jet's don't sign him-- look for someone younger with upside.

Note--we won most of our games without him--and we'll continue to do so.

I wished the team could somehow someway ship Little off and resign Stastny with similar type of contract. Yet the NMC made that a no-option which essentially means no Stastny. I wonder if they can now even afford Wheelers in the long run. I haven't really been doing the math, that much I can admit. Guess there's a lot of hope over Roslo's shoulders for the next year. I really don't see why he wouldn't be part of the active roster given how smoothly his transition to the league went overall. Guess the better question is what kind of role we are talking about. If reeling him in to the second line center position includes tons of sheltering and that in turn will keep the entire line's TOI at bay, it's not something I'm necessarily looking forward to either.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If the Jets are going to be Stanley Cup contenders -- they will need to do it with their "youth'--and not older plug in rentals. It was the Jet's youth like Helle, Laine, Scheif, Ehlers, Connor,Morrissey,Trouba etc,--that got them to be the 2nd best team in point production in the standings

I think Little is just as good as Statsny, and if he's not they are very close. The key to the Jet's will be to develop Roslovic as a good 2nd or 3rd center. We don't need another expensive older guy that will hinder negotiations with our young stars.

You need mostly young guys, but then again out of the 3 best Jets skaters in the playoffs only Scheifele was young. Stastny and Buff (the other 2 of TOP-3) are not exactly youngsters. Then in TOP-5 when you add Wheeler and Laine, there were still only 2 young players (Scheif, Laine) against 3 old veterans (Buff, Stastny, Wheeler) on TOP-5.

Stastny was golden for the Jets in playoffs. Too bad Jets got badly outcoached against Vegas. Also the game seven was taxing against the Preds.

Unfortunately Little was a huge disappointment last season especially compared to Stastny. Stastny >> Little, not even close. Their previous season they were equal, not anymore in this season. Only time will tell if Little will bounce back, but I was really pleased about his play as a 3rd line center in playoffs. The only problem I have with Little is that his contract is way too long with that price.

That said, I don't want to see a 5 year contract for Stastny, but something like 2 years could be optimal, even a 1 year contract.

I hope Roslovic will make it into a proper 2nd line center but I don't think he is ready for that next season. Not in a proper contender.

Jets players are great, it's the coaching I am seriously worried about. They got their defensive play a lot better than in the previous season, but still they could not make their 1st line defensively solid. Also occasional total defensive breakdowns happened even against the Vegas. Not as bad as the season openers against the Leafs and the Flames(?), but nevertheless something that just should not happen even once on playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So if a forward or defenseman had 9 seasons of good production and then in year 10 they had an injury plagued season their value would drop to 25% of what it was? IMO Mason is a much better goalie than people are giving him credit for and has an established resume to fall back on. While he wouldn't fetch $4.1 on the market, IMO he hasn't dropped all the way down to career backup either.

I agree. But I think he is in 'show me' country right now. His future value will depend on how he does next year with the Jets.

He will be an expensive backup next year. Assuming the concussion problems are gone and he plays well then last year will just be a bump on the road.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Chevy is not going to try and dump Little. They just signed him and his new contract hasn't even kicked in yet. Not how True North operates. Little is only 30 and is easily a solid #2 center. Try finding 45 centers with better #'s then him even in an off year. $5.3 M is a reasonable salary for this, though I'd prefer 4 years instead of 6 for term length. In all honesty I think it is a bit of a pipe dream to think we can sign Statsny. I think he likes Winnipeg and is willing to sign here, but why would he give the Jets a big time hometown discount that we would need to sign him? IMO to get Statsny signed we will need to match the open market on AAV and term. Some team out there like the Habs desperate for a center likely offers something in the 7 X 7 range. We'd have to be able to swallow that again IMO to sign Statsny.
Whatever they do they need to get Ehlers and Laine scoring even strength that did not happen with regularity with a Stastny between them . I vote for the 34 year Flippula to bring the best out of them on a 1 year contract.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers gelled just fine with Little when they had Perrault as their other winger.

We already have a good second line center in Little. Instead of going through hoops in order to try to fit an aging player in cap wise, why don't we think a bit outside the box and maybe tweak our lines a bit in order to get the best our of everyone. Laine and Ehlers don't need to be joined at the hip, in fact id argue they are better apart. Wheeler and Chef also don't need to be joined at the hip. One simple swap of RW and I think the problem of chemistry is solved.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers gelled just fine with Little when they had Perrault as their other winger.

We already have a good second line center in Little. Instead of going through hoops in order to try to fit an aging player in cap wise, why don't we think a bit outside the box and maybe tweak our lines a bit in order to get the best our of everyone. Laine and Ehlers don't need to be joined at the hip, in fact id argue they are better apart. Wheeler and Chef also don't need to be joined at the hip. One simple swap of RW and I think the problem of chemistry is solved.
I tend to agree with this.

Also, consider the possibility of shifting Wheeler to #2C, with a bit of sheltering defensively?

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Wheeler-Armia
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Whatever they do they need to get Ehlers and Laine scoring even strength that did not happen with regularity with a Stastny between them . I vote for the 34 year Flippula to bring the best out of them on a 1 year contract.
Laine and Ehlers need a playmaking center if they are playing in the same line. Both are clearly with shoot first mentality and their great strengths can’t be optimally used unless they have a player who can hold on to the puck and then let them have enough time to get open and then use fast, accurate and surprising passes in finding them. Stastny was ok in this, but definitely not great, as he too had a bit of trouble in holding on to the puck well enough. Scheifele is the only Jets center whom can play very well in that way, Stastny is quite ok in it and the rest of the centers are below average or well below average as playmakers.

The way how to get the best out of Laine and Ehlers is definitely not by getting them to play with another washed up average two way playmaker like Filppula. No way! Don’t definitely want to see that happening.

Also to get the best out of Laine and Ehlers is in fact to play them in separate lines, as the bromance is still not showing much at all good results with them playing in the same line. Some rare glimpses, but honestly the dudes just don’t really seem compatible with their playing styles and how they think about hockey. It’s really a waste to play them in the same line.

The smartest things to do, in my opinion, are to make it possible to keep Stastny by all means and have either Laine or Ehlers with Scheifele and the other one with Stastny. Or if it’s not possible to keep Stastny, then make a couple of trades and get a playmaking center that is at least the class that Stastny is, or preferably better, and do the same way with Scheifele, the bro’s and the new center.

Any other type of center and combinations with Laine and Ehlers in the same line is just not going to work at all optimally, and will be horrible misusing of great offensive talents. Which kind of stubborn stupidity I’m definitely expecting from Maurice again.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelsier

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree with splitting up Ehlers and Laine but I don't really want to split up Scheifele and Wheeler. I find that Ehlers is reluctant to shoot when with Laine and tries to force pucks to him. Maybe Laine with Scheifele and Wheeler could work with Connor down with Little and Ehlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad