Will Sean Couturier ever have a 50+ point and/or 25+ goal season?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Really, Giroix would not be moved to wing until Rubstov solidifies himself as a good C option.

The #2 pick allows us to finally have 3 centers worth while. Once Rubstov cones in an forces G to the wing, he will be at C. The good thing is we have 5 years for that to happen so Rubstov does not need to be rushed.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Really, Giroix would not be moved to wing until Rubstov solidifies himself as a good C option.

The #2 pick allows us to finally have 3 centers worth while. Once Rubstov cones in an forces G to the wing, he will be at C. The good thing is we have 5 years for that to happen so Rubstov does not need to be rushed.

With the 2OA pick Rubstov doesn't even have to become a center. You could still have good center depth with Vorobyov coming over.
Giroux
Couturier
2OA
Rubstov
Vorobyov

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
What is with the obsession of putting one of the best faceoff men in the world on the wing? Everyone screams about possession metrics then wants to take Giroux off c. Possession starts on the dot.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What is with the obsession of putting one of the best faceoff men in the world on the wing? Everyone screams about possession metrics then wants to take Giroux off c. Possession starts on the dot.

He can still take faceoffs.

Having him on wing allows him to be more offensive and let a younger, more defensive C to carry that burden more for him. Having Patrick, Couts and Rubstov would give us 3 centers who all can be 2 way players.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
He can still take faceoffs.

Having him on wing allows him to be more offensive and let a younger, more defensive C to carry that burden more for him. Having Patrick, Couts and Rubstov would give us 3 centers who all can be 2 way players.

I would simply say that we cross that bridge when it gets here.

As for this thread, availability is a skill. Coots has had some freak injuries for sure, but sooner or later, you have to put in a 70+ game campaign where you maintain production over the duration.

I view Coots as a 3C until he demonstrates the ability to stay healthy for an entire season and produce over that full season. That said, the difference between our 2nd and 3rd lines will likely be semantics this year.

Do I think Sean eventually scores 50 points? I think he can and probably will. Wouldn't have high confidence, however. Like 60/40 yes.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
That said, the difference between our 2nd and 3rd lines will likely be semantics this year.

I don't know about that. I'm not sure how you're labeling these lines, but Nolan Patrick will be one of centers this year. Likely to be very sheltered. Does Filppula play wing, or go for an actually reliable 4th line? Couturier will likely get more ice time than either. Personally, I think this makes the most sense to start the year...

TK - G - Voracek
Weal - Couts - Schenn
Lindblom - Patrick - Simmonds
PEB - Filppula - Raffl

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I think when the Flyers are losing a game that third line could exceed the minutes of your second line. When they're leading a game it could be inverted. We shall see.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts is fine, given his salary, #2 in this draft, Rubtsov and Vorobyov.
He doesn't have to carry the team, just do what he does which is to be an excellent two way center who doesn't pad his stats on the PP.

You can only play so many guys on PP1, someone has to help you win ES, and that requires more than scoring, it also requires playing defense.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
The short answer is probably not. This is solely a result of power play production. He scores at a regular 1C level 5v5. 40 EVP over a full season is good for T-20th in the league among Centres. He had 2 PPP. 2. Over the course of his 6 season career he's had 23 points total in 416 games. If he scored at the league avg rate of 2nd power play forwards for last season of ~ 18 points he would be a 55-60 point scorer over a full season at current rates and fans would rave about him. He just hasn't yet, and probably wont develop that skill at the NHL level. He's an above average or great player just about everywhere else though. Every team in the league would kill to have him if they could.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The short answer is probably not. This is solely a result of power play production. He scores at a regular 1C level 5v5. 40 EVP over a full season is good for T-20th in the league among Centres. He had 2 PPP. 2. Over the course of his 6 season career he's had 23 points total in 416 games. If he scored at the league avg rate of 2nd power play forwards for last season of ~ 18 points he would be a 55-60 point scorer over a full season at current rates and fans would rave about him. He just hasn't yet, and probably wont develop that skill at the NHL level. He's an above average or great player just about everywhere else though. Every team in the league would kill to have him if they could.

giphy.gif

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Despite my previous post, I'm not 100% against that line. Just that I don't think that it should be the standard lineup. Being used in certain situations (at the end of games maybe) might be a good idea.

Plus, no reason why Giroux can't take faceoffs and then still play wing.

Well this is just a silly comment, we already know who is going to be playing at the end of games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad