Will Sean Couturier ever have a 50+ point and/or 25+ goal season?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
24 years old, five full NHL seasons and a lockout shortened season in and Couturier's career highs are 16 goals and 39 points. The better question might be will he ever have a 20+ goal and/or 45+ point season, but if he is going to be the legit second line center some have claimed he is or will be I sure hope he can be counted on for around 25 goals and 50 points.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If he plays 75+ games next season, I think he finally hits 50 points.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Humm look who is now here crapping on Couturier after doing the same on the main board... Just enjoy Anthony Duclair and get on with your life.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Humm look who is now here crapping on Couturier after doing the same on the main board... Just enjoy Anthony Duclair and get on with your life.

You do realize that in his first full NHL season Anthony Duclair had 20 goals and 40+ point which is something Sean Couturier hasn't done in six seasons.

Also, I am not crapping on Couturier at all. I think he is a really good 3rd line center. I am just sick of some Flyers fans saying he is something which he isn't.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You do realize that in his first full NHL season Anthony Duclair had 20 goals and 40+ point which is something Sean Couturier hasn't done in six seasons.

Also, I am not crapping on Couturier at all. I think he is a really good 3rd line center. I am just sick of some Flyers fans saying he is something which he isn't.

Couturier had 39 points in 63 games in 15-16 so to say he hasnt had a 40+ point season is a bit disengenous.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love the Couts haters.

"He is not a #2 C, he is awful offensively" all while totally ignoring he was 1st on our team in scoring 5vs5.

"He can't shoot" all while ignoring he led the team in 5vs5 goals this year.

"He has not even been nominated for the Selke, he is overrated defensively" all while ignoring the Selke goes to top scoring defensive guys, not just the best defensive guy anymore.

Laughton gifted #2 scoring C role, Couts outscores him.
Filppula comes in to be the 2C, Couts outscores him.

Maybe with the #2 overall pick, we finally add a C who outscores our #3 C while playing 5vs5.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Couturier had 39 points in 63 games in 15-16 so to say he hasnt had a 40+ point season is a bit disengenous.

Technically you are correct. However, from a factual standpoint that isn't correct. He scored at a PPG pace of a 40 point season. His career high however is 39 points and part of being able to produce in any sport is being able to stay on the field/ice. You can't produce and help your team if you are hurt and Couturier has been injury prone the last couple of seasons.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Technically you are correct. However, from a factual standpoint that isn't correct. He scored at a PPG pace of a 40 point season. His career high however is 39 points and part of being able to produce in any sport is being able to stay on the field/ice. You can't produce and help your team if you are hurt and Couturier has been injury prone the last couple of seasons.

There`s a lot more to his game besides points. You sound like you just don`t like him.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
No way he scores 25 goals.
Couturier needs good coach.. can't just play him with Read half of the season.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
no. because with Nico/Nolan coming in it will be even harder for him to do so. his future is as a 3rd line center. he'll never be on the top PP unit either. maybe he can potentially reach 50 points if he plays with Konecny and Schenn next year and plays 82 games. but he'll never touch 25 goals. he also gets hurt way too often. you guys saying yes are way too optimistic.

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I don't think it really matters. With increasing forward depth and Sanheim coming up, I imagine his PP time will decrease soon, which makes 50 points unlikely, not that he's particularly effective there anyway.

To answer the question, no to both, but Couts is great anyway.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
There`s a lot more to his game besides points. You sound like you just don`t like him.
Absolutely, which is why he is a really good 3rd line center. 2nd line centers don't produce at a 15 goal/40 point level.

Also, I do like him. I just don't like how a lot of Flyers overrate him, call anyone who doesn't think he's a 2nd line center a hater, and also act like he is their teammate and call him "couts." Stereotypical fanboy/homer type behavior that gives fan bases a bad reputation.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The terms "2nd line center", "3rd line center", etc are so overvalued.

The way things are shaping up, you might as well call all 6 guys middle six players instead of throwing an arbitrary number on it. I'd bet both see similar 5v5 icetime, so does it really matter what they're called?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't think it really matters. With increasing forward depth and Sanheim coming up, I imagine his PP time will decrease soon, which makes 50 points unlikely, not that he's particularly effective there anyway.

To answer the question, no to both, but Couts is great anyway.

I agree. Couturier is an excellent 3rd line center but he isn't a 2nd line center and likely never will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Good, good. Hopefully we can keep all the bickering between sycophantic knobslobbers and bitter, seething haters to just this thread.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Here we go again. If you are at all critical of "Couts" or don't consider him a 2nd line center you are just a "Couts hater." :shakehead :laugh:

No, I called you a hater because this is what you just said in another thread:

"He's expendable now with a real potential 2nd line center about to be in the mix (Patrick or Hischier) and he isn't nicknamed "cantscourier" for nothing. Excellent defensive forward, limited on offense though mostly due to his poor skating."

"The Flyers would be lucky to get a deal for him like the one I proposed." Duclair+1st for Couts and a 3rd

"I hear this a lot, and yet Couturier has never even been nominated for the award once.(Selke).His ability as a shutdown center is overblown. He's good in that role but he's no Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Kesler, etc and doesn't score like them either."

"A good 3rd line center is a lot easier to find and less of a need for the Flyers than a potential 30 goal sniper with speed like Duclair, and we also swap a 1st for a 3rd round pick. You have to give up something to get something."

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Sweet truth bomb. All our minds are blown by your eloquence and use of advanced stats to support your opinions. You are the new Appleyard.

Ignore list turned on you clown.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
I agree. Couturier is an excellent 3rd line center but he isn't a 2nd line center and likely never will be.

Not sure what made you think Flyers fans think Couturier is a second line centre, but it sure got you fired up. You`ve got to simmer down or this thread is going to get closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At this current rate I don't think 25 goals or more is manageable for someone like him in today's scoring climate.

50+ points is maybe more attainable but he's gotta stay healthy to do so as the margin of error is pretty slim with very little PP production. If he gets taken off the PP altogether that will obviously hurt his ability further.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
50p is reasonable. He really salvaged a dreadful season offensively with a good finish but I doubt he can do it over a whole season. Hopefully the addition of Patrick or Hischier cements him on the 3rd line where he being belongs, and where he's easily top 5 in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad