Will Sam Reinhart be a franchise player?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
When I think of a franchise player I think of players like Gilbert Perreault and Dominic Hasek. Guys who any generation of Sabres fans will know as long as the franchise is around.

But to others, a franchise player is simply just a 1st line center or a very good player. It really depends on how you view a franchise player.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
No it's not. As evidenced by the the "who would you draft 3rd" thread, in which Strome is winning, people are still not convinced that we have a true no. 1 center in the system.

I think it's more damning of Grigorenko than it is of Reinhart.

If Grigo was developing more quickly (I hesitate to say "better"), then I think most around here would be quite pleased with a 1-2 punch of Reinhart/well-developed-Grigorenko.

As it is, it's looking like Grigorenko might take a while to hit his ultimate NHL ceiling, if he ever does.

What I think it comes down to is that most realize that a 1/2 punch at center will be key, and we don't have that right now. We have Reinhart, who could be 1 OR 2. We don't have that complement to him.

I think you'd find that if we drafted 10th, the board would still favor drafting a high-talent center.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think it's people seeing Reinhart for the 9 games and getting sent back to Jrs and overreacting a bit.

I've read/heard people talk like Girgensons is a long term 1C over Reinhart if they miss out on McEichel.

Sorry, but I'll be stunned if Reinhart isn't a better option as a 1C than ZG over the long run.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think it's more damning of Grigorenko than it is of Reinhart.

If Grigo was developing more quickly (I hesitate to say "better"), then I think most around here would be quite pleased with a 1-2 punch of Reinhart/well-developed-Grigorenko.

As it is, it's looking like Grigorenko might take a while to hit his ultimate NHL ceiling, if he ever does.

What I think it comes down to is that most realize that a 1/2 punch at center will be key, and we don't have that right now. We have Reinhart, who could be 1 OR 2. We don't have that complement to him.

I think you'd find that if we drafted 10th, the board would still favor drafting a high-talent center.

It's most definitely damning to Grigorenko, but I think it may be a little more complicated than that. I think most, if not all, feel confident Sam is going to be a good player, the question is how good.

Just my sense, but I think many of us would be fine with the thought of McEichel/Girgensons as 1/2 centers, even better with McEichel/Reinhart as 1/2, but would be apprehensive about Reinhart/Girgensons as 1/2. To me, that says Girgensons can be your no. 2 center behind a powerhouse no. 1 center, and maybe I'm not that confident Reinhart is that powerhouse.

You insinuated the same thing, so I think we are on the same page.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
When I think of a franchise player I think of players like Gilbert Perreault and Dominic Hasek. Guys who any generation of Sabres fans will know as long as the franchise is around.

But to others, a franchise player is simply just a 1st line center or a very good player. It really depends on how you view a franchise player.

I agree. Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Messier, Bourque, Roy, etc..etc...

The term "franchise player" is very subjective, but even if you hold high standards for the term (like I do) it's still pretty easy to come up with a list of at least 20 players over the last 30 years or so. To make such a projection for a guy that hasn't played ten games in the league yet is just wishful thinking.

I just hope that he can hover around 60-70 pts and play solid defense. These days that should rank around the top ten of centers. I'm happy with that, but "franchise player" comes along after leading your team a while and maybe winning a Cup.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It absolutely does, as I explained on post 107.

Maybe for you, and you are alone on that.

Reinhart going to be a franchise center does not decide if Hanifin, Strome or Marner is picked.

Murray will draft the player who fits best. It is very easy to convert a center to wing so taking the best player available. I have not seen one person post, Reinhart is not good enough we need Strome. The natural thing to do is want the best offensive player available. You don't pass on the best player that is a center because you already have one.

If we had McDavid, Reinhart down the middle I am still picking the best player next year and if that is a center, then so be it.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Reinhart going to be a franchise center does not decide if Hanifin, Strome or Marner is picked.

It matters when thinking about how strong you are at the position. And if you don't think you are strong enough at the position, that's why you would pick one over the others, everything else being equal.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It matters when thinking about how strong you are at the position. And if you don't think you are strong enough at the position, that's why you would pick one over the others, everything else being equal.

What do you mean everything else being equal? adding little tidbits in...

There are two ways people draft, Best player available and team need.

When you watch the draft usually the best player available is chosen but at times if the players are equal then I see the team taking the player from a point of need.

When I see on this board people talking about who to draft at 3rd I have not seen anyone mention Reinhart. Only who they feel is the best player at 3rd.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What do you mean everything else being equal? adding little tidbits in...

There are two ways people draft, Best player available and team need.

When you watch the draft usually the best player available is chosen but at times if the players are equal then I see the team taking the player from a point of need.

When I see on this board people talking about who to draft at 3rd I have not seen anyone mention Reinhart. Only who they feel is the best player at 3rd.

All things being equal = players being rated the same. You pick the position you need. I think most people accept that Hanifin is rated higher than Strome, but would pick the center based on need.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Reinhart is a franchise player, because he's the type of player you build a team around.

Whether or not he becomes a franchise player is up in the air, but he was drafted 2nd overall because he has that potential.

Just because he isn't Crosby doesn't mean he isn't a franchise player.

Toews has only scored more than 70 points in a year once, is he not a player you would build a team around?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It's most definitely damning to Grigorenko, but I think it may be a little more complicated than that. I think most, if not all, feel confident Sam is going to be a good player, the question is how good.

Just my sense, but I think many of us would be fine with the thought of McEichel/Girgensons as 1/2 centers, even better with McEichel/Reinhart as 1/2, but would be apprehensive about Reinhart/Girgensons as 1/2. To me, that says Girgensons can be your no. 2 center behind a powerhouse no. 1 center, and maybe I'm not that confident Reinhart is that powerhouse.

You insinuated the same thing, so I think we are on the same page.

Only if they are blinded by drinking McEichel juice for 12 months

No one, who is actually looking at the actual hockey these guys play, should feel apprehensive about a Reinhart-Girgensons center combo.

They should feel that they have an elite/top of the draft/2 way playmaking cornerstone #1 center... to go with a young 1st round pain the ass 2 way center who is already experienced facing the top matchups, tough zone starts, key situations.

Apprehension???? That's literally only possible if you've been drinking the "oh my god we are going to draft one of the best players ever", and it's completely clouded your judgement (or exposing your lack of) of the players at hand.

To reiterate an earlier position... it's fine to be pissed off if we miss out on McEichel. Im gonna be pissed, and angry. But it's not necessary to hold terrible opinions about other hockey players to wallow in that misery.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wanting to draft Strome over Marner or Hanifin has nothing to do with Reinhart. :laugh:

Sure it does.

For me anyways. But I'm not sure Strome will be better than Reinhart. I probably end up taking Hanifin and going with elite D Corp. Roll the dice that Reinhart and Grigorenko turn out like we hope.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Defensive play is underrated. People overlook it far too much when talking about an offensive player. Reinhart isn't just good defensively, he's elite. But he's not flashy and won't necessarily put up insane point totals. People equate points to success far too much, and that's why some people aren't high on him.

ZeroPT*

can I just say that I'm looking forward to the days where we argue on the main boards about our actual players and not whether or not the Sabres decided to lose on purpose?

God I can't wait for this **** to be over. Next year is going to be amazing.

FoSotC

Aug 16, 2010
can I just say that I'm looking forward to the days where we argue on the main boards about our actual players and not whether or not the Sabres decided to lose on purpose?
The main boards will never let that go. We'll be hearing about our tankjob for at least as long as McEichel is on our team, if we land one of them. There will be so much hate and jealousy directed toward our franchise if our rebuild is a success. Just get ready to ignore it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad