Will Sam Reinhart be a franchise player?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Sheesh-70 points? That would be amazing. I see 20 goals as top end and 30-40 assists. More likely high teens in goals and 35-40 assists. In this day and age of lower scoring I think those totals would be pretty decent. I will be happy to be proven unduly realistic or pessimistic depending on your view.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I say no. I don't see him being a perennial ppg player. I think he will be putting up 25-45-70 consistently, which is really good but not elite production. To be honest for a 2nd overall pick and first forward taken its a little disheartening.

1.) You know how many players are perenially ppg now, right?? I can probably count them on two hands. Maybe I need the second.

2.) A CONSISTENT 70-point scorer is worth his weight in gold in this league. Only 20-25 skaters get that in any one year, and many of those are career years. So now I need my toes to count consistent 70+ point scorers.

Your point expectations are totally and completely way out of whack with anything resembling realism.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
1.) You know how many players are perenially ppg now, right?? I can probably count them on two hands. Maybe I need the second.

2.) A CONSISTENT 70-point scorer is worth his weight in gold in this league. Only 20-25 skaters get that in any one year, and many of those are career years. So now I need my toes to count consistent 70+ point scorers.

Your point expectations are totally and completely way out of whack with anything resembling realism.

an even smaller portion of those are relied on defensively as much as its expected we will be able to count on Sam

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
That was going to be along the lines of my reply.

I expect Reinhart to be like Nicklas Backstrom (PPG center that has a roughly 1:3 goal to assist ratio) and that is a franchise player on a lot of teams, but not all of them.
Backstrom is a franchise player on ANY team. The guys the reason Ovie is so successful. It's a travesty he's never been an all star.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I'd say yes. I expect 50-60 pts per year with great defense. NHL scoring is way down so I don't expect him to even get 1 PPG season. He isn't an offensive powerhouse player.

YoungGrapes

Feb 12, 2015
Sam tops out as a 2nd line centre probably more of a career third line guy. His foot speed will hold him back, he is a very poor mans Patrice Bergeron (sp?)

BornBuffaloFan

Nov 30, 2014
he is the fred jackson of hockey

towards the top in the league…. but not the talent of an adrian peterson

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
What percentage of first forwards overall average 70pts per year? 80pts? 90pts?

2013: Nathan MacKinnon - 57p per 82gp (hasn't even played two full seasons, a much better prospect when drafted compared to Reinhart

2012: Nail Yakuoov - 37p per 82gp (Yeah, right now looking to be a major fail as a #1 pick. Reinhart a much better prospect)

2011: RNH -60p per 82gp (Probably the best comparison to Reinhart)

2010: Taylor Hall - 73p per 82gp (legit elite winger. He was a Better prospect then Reinhart )

2009: John Tavares 75p per 82gp (no explanation needed)

2008: Steven Stamkos 84p per 82gp (arguably a top 3-4 forward. Legit superstar)

2007: Patrick Kane 79p per 82gp (again, was a better prospect then Reinhart)

2006: it was Staal but Toews and Backstrom were the next two forwards and by far the correct choice. Toews 72 per 82gp and Backstrom exactly a ppg

2005: Sidney Crosby (no explanation needed. Best player in the league)

2004: Alex Ovechkin (best goal scorer in the league 97 per 82gp. Also Malkin right after, 99p per 82 gp

2003: Eric Staal (72p per 82gp)

There's no need for me to go farther. I love how people can get upset when I merely predict Reinhart to be a 70 point player. That's still star level production and legit 1st line center. Sorry that my standards for "franchise" player is a higher. Eichel is a franchise player. Reinhart no. Risto no.

And it's safe to say the only other first forward drafted since 03 that I would without a doubt take Reinhart over is Yakupov and probably RNH. The rest are all ahead of Reinhart and it's not even close. Again, I like Reinhart and he will be a great player. But let's not make him out to be more heralded that he is. Like I said unless we get an McEichel the last two years will be a major failure. I didn't just witness one of the worst two season runs in modern nhl history and have Sam Reinhart and Noah Hanifin be our "prizes" for being record breaking bad.

I'll be extremely happy if Reinhart is a consistent 70 point center. I just expect my franchise cornerstone guy to score more. Eichel, god willing we get him will be that guy.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Damn the shiny toy syndrome is something else around here.

Its been what, 3 months since the world juniors?

He's going to be an all situations center.

He was voted the top prospect in THN's future watch issue.

He led Canada in scoring in their 1st gold medal in several years at the WJC's.

What more do you want from the kid to prove he's the real deal.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He tops out as a 70 point guy. I'd be happy with 50-60 points and great defensive play.

I don't buy this, I think he'll get into the 80's a few times in his career. 90's, probably not. 100's, certainly not. 70 points is too low to set his ceiling though.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Looking better in the NHL, obviously. Scouts said his footspeed might limit him at the next level, and that looked pretty fair to me in the fall. Projecting any kid who isn't good enough to play in the league as a franchise player in said league seems pretty aggressive.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011

Oh, I dunno, maybe not look like a child when playing against NHLers.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Looking better in the NHL, obviously. Scouts said his footspeed might limit him at the next level, and that looked pretty fair to me in the fall. Projecting any kid who isn't good enough to play in the league as a franchise player in said league seems pretty aggressive.

Oh, I dunno, maybe not look like a child when playing against NHLers.

Joe Thornton was awful in his first few stints in the NHL. Just painful to watch.

9 game sample size with an awful team and a bad coach doesn't mean he isn't going to live up to his promise.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Toews was back at NoDak for his post-draft year season.

Not making the jump right away doesn't rule a guy out as a potential franchise player down the road.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Joe Thornton was awful in his first few stints in the NHL. Just painful to watch.

9 game sample size with an awful team and a bad coach doesn't mean he isn't going to live up to his promise.

Jason Spezza is another top pick that had a rough road early on and then developed into a franchise center.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
the "woe is buffalo" view of Reinhart by some of the fan base is pretty entertaining... it's gone as far as distinguishing that a 70pt/2 way center.... is NOT a "Franchise" player

:biglaugh:

you guys....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad