Will Sam Reinhart be a franchise player?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Yes. He may not be a generational talent like a McDavid or Eichel will be, but he'll be a franchise player for Buffalo.

ZeroPT*

yep. If Bergeron is a franchise player then Sammy will be too.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What is a franchise player? I don't think he will break Sabres scoring records but I think he will be a big part of any success we have. I probably have different expectations of a franchise player then others do.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
A franchise player is a player who is centerpiece player that you build your team around.... With that said, I say NO. If we don't get one of the top three then I think Kane may be the franchise player.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
In professional sports, a franchise player is an athlete who is not simply the best player on their team, but a player that the team can build their "franchise" (team) around for the foreseeable future.

from wiki.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
A franchise player is a player who is centerpiece player that you build your team around.... With that said, I say NO. If we don't get one of the top three then I think Kane may be the franchise player.

A team can have more than one franchise player.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What is a franchise player?

That was going to be along the lines of my reply.

I expect Reinhart to be like Nicklas Backstrom (PPG center that has a roughly 1:3 goal to assist ratio) and that is a franchise player on a lot of teams, but not all of them.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Reinhart will be the straw that stirs the drink more than EKane.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Define franchise player? Maybe a list of comparables? Top 30 player in the league, eg?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
No he will not be. However, he will be a very good core piece who will be certainly be central to the team's ascension to championship caliber for a sustained period of time.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I suppose it's up to your own interpretation. I do like the definition crazy tasty brought up.

TheI don't think it helps personally. You can build a team around anyone. And what does it even mean to build a tram around someone?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If we're talking in the top 30 players in the NHL, I think the answer is probably not.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
prime franchise forwards in the nhl:

crosby
ov
stamkos
malkin
getzlaf/perry?
giroux?
toews/kane?
seguin?

potentially:

Johansen?
Tarasenko?
MacK?
Drouin?
Monahan?
Hall?
Barkov?

I don't have him in that range

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009

crosby
ov
stamkos
malkin
getzlaf/perry?
giroux?
toews/kane?
seguin?

potentially:

Johansen?
Tarasenko?
MacK?
Drouin?
Monahan?
Hall?
Barkov?

I don't have him in that range

thinking a bit more I could see him as the backstrom to mceichel's ov

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I do not think so but he does not have to be. He does not have the speed for his size nor the size for his speed. He has everything else so he will be a very good player who centres our second line for 15 years......

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Will Sam be a player to build a team around? Yes
Will Sam be the best player on the team? Could be
Will Sam be a player that can carry a team built to his strengths? I'm not sure. If you went into a season and the thought was 'will Sam's performance dictate the outcome', I don't think you can say that because I don't see him scoring enough goals, setting up enough goals, and creating enough "winning" plays to allow an average roster to win behind him over an 82 game season. He can be an impact player who wins games but he will need a complete roster around him to make this team a consistent contender.

By contrast, Crosby can take an average roster and by his on ice performance alone, can boost it from average to contender. I don't think that's in Sam's future.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

crosby
ov
stamkos
malkin
getzlaf/perry?
giroux?
toews/kane?
seguin?