Will Randy be back for the 2015-2016 season?

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
If we can get Babcock next year then Randy is gone. Hoping to God that Shanny can bring him in through the Detroit connection.

Mar 26, 2010
Yes, 100% he will be here along with Nonis and Phaneuf.

This team is going to fail.

Tyler Biggs*

Although a lot of things would have to fall in place for Babcock to join the Leafs, I wouldn’t say that it would “never” happen. If it was all about coaching a winning team with winning players, then he would stay in Detroit. 2008 wasn’t that long and the Red Wings have made the playoffs every year under him, hardly a “losing” team. The two things that Toronto can offer, more so than anyone else, is money and glory…potentially. He already has a stacked resume, but turning the Maple Leafs into a constantly competitive team, and hockey gods willing, Stanley cup champions would be his crowning achievement. Hopefully that’s enticing enough to bring this “Good Canadian Kid” back home. Even if you don’t think he’s an “Elite” coach or even a good coach, you have to look at what he pulled off last year with an injured Redwings team that was basically dressing their AHL team for most of the season.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Many people don't think think this will happen, and my idea is very remote.

What if the Leafs make the 3rd round in the playoffs?

Makes it harder to fire him.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Although a lot of things would have to fall in place for Babcock to join the Leafs, I wouldn’t say that it would “never†happen. If it was all about coaching a winning team with winning players, then he would stay in Detroit. 2008 wasn’t that long and the Red Wings have made the playoffs every year under him, hardly a “losing†team. The two things that Toronto can offer, more so than anyone else, is money and glory…potentially. He already has a stacked resume, but turning the Maple Leafs into a constantly competitive team, and hockey gods willing, Stanley cup champions would be his crowning achievement. Hopefully that’s enticing enough to bring this “Good Canadian Kid†back home. Even if you don’t think he’s an “Elite†coach or even a good coach, you have to look at what he pulled off last year with an injured Redwings team that was basically dressing their AHL team for most of the season.

Who in their right mind could suggest Babcock isn't one of the greatest coaches of all time??

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Purely based on the team making the playoffs or not. I joke about Carlyle's replacement being Babcock but in all honesty McLellan (sp?) is the one I could see

Durkin67

Will he even last this up-coming season?

He may not last the season. As Allaire and his philosophies were deemed archaic, so could be the case with RC.

If he's doodie-canned, Spott will hold the fort until Babcock informs Shanny of his intentions going forward.

Durkin67

Although a lot of things would have to fall in place for Babcock to join the Leafs, I wouldn’t say that it would “never†happen. If it was all about coaching a winning team with winning players, then he would stay in Detroit. 2008 wasn’t that long and the Red Wings have made the playoffs every year under him, hardly a “losing†team. The two things that Toronto can offer, more so than anyone else, is money and glory…potentially. He already has a stacked resume, but turning the Maple Leafs into a constantly competitive team, and hockey gods willing, Stanley cup champions would be his crowning achievement. Hopefully that’s enticing enough to bring this “Good Canadian Kid†back home. Even if you don’t think he’s an “Elite†coach or even a good coach, you have to look at what he pulled off last year with an injured Redwings team that was basically dressing their AHL team for most of the season.

Although you're absolutely correct I can see Babcock wanting a new challenge. He's won cups and he's won gold. I can see him having designs on being the man to end the drought in Toronto, especially with Shanny on board.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope he is back for the 2015-2016 season because that means that the Leafs had a very good season. I don't care who is behind the bench if the team is winning. You never want to see turmoil and guys getting **** canned. You want to see success, and people having a great time.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs downgraded the teams talent level this offseason due in part to cap budgetary reasons.

However that will make Carlyle's job tougher to squeeze more out of less and hope some of these reclamation projects hit pay dirt.

If the Leafs do have another season like the last one, I think its lights out for the coach.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Although you're absolutely correct I can see Babcock wanting a new challenge. He's won cups and he's won gold. I can see him having designs on being the man to end the drought in Toronto, especially with Shanny on board.

If he wants to end his career here, it'll be either a legacy going out in style(one of the greatest coaches ever to bring back the cup back to T.O) or a blemish (did not succeed). It will be the greatest challenge of his career. I can see a man like him wanting to take the daunting task.

Tyler Biggs*

I can't remember where I read it, but I was reading an article on Franson resigning yesterday or the day before and there was a quote from him talking about Horachek, how he used to be his assistant coach in Nashville. He said that he is really approachable and easy to discuss things with and it sounded like it was in the context that the Leafs players didn't have that last year from the assistants that were let go. The Leafs also bringing in Spott, who by all accounts seems to be a great communicator as well makes me think that Carlyle may be getting some unfair blame for what went on last season. Yes he is the head coach and ultimately responsible for decisions made on and off the ice, but perhaps there was no cohesion with the staff and the assistants, who are usually a source of input and a means for the players to seek advice etc, just weren't doing their jobs.

When Carlyle kept mentioning that he didn't know how to fix things, which he repeated time and time again near the end of the season, perhaps he was also at a loss as to what had happened with his staff and why they weren't working as a together.

I remember one incident specifically during the season, late in it I believe, where at the end of the period, Carlyle turned to Farrish as they were leaving the bench and had some words with him. Farrish threw his arms in the air like he didn't know what had happened and it seemed pretty obvious that the two weren't on the same page, at least at that particular moment anyway.

We certainly will never know what went on, but the firing of the assistants and the retention of Carlyle lends some credence to it.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Leafs downgraded the teams talent level this offseason due in part to cap budgetary reasons.

However that will make Carlyle's job tougher to squeeze more out of less and hope some of these reclamation projects hit pay dirt.

If the Leafs do have another season like the last one, I think its lights out for the coach.

I can agree with the last sentence, but didn't the Leafs address defensive and possession issues as well.

TheThrill81*

Just Randy?

How about Nonis?

You mean both Carlyle and Nonis being gone before the 2015/16 season? I can't see that happening. It'd be just one of them if it happens, and my money would be on Carlyle getting fired first.

Tyler Biggs*

People seem to forget that Randy won a Cup with a team that had good possession numbers. The analytics issues with the Leafs are less about Randy and more about the horses in his stable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad