Will Randy be back for the 2015-2016 season?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Yes, with the Florida panthers.

Nonis kept him around for his own out when **** hits the fan so he could keep his own job.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I would be very surprised if he was.

Then again I was very surprised he's back this year so who the hell knows :laugh:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
short of winning the stanley cup i dont see him being back. i suspect that the second babcock becomes available msle will give him whatever it takes to get him to toronto.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
This depends entirely on the team's performance.

This guy's got it...

I know everybody wants to believe that Shannahan has a coach in mind that will be available next season (everybody wishes for Babcock), but can you honestly see Carlyle getting fired if the team makes the playoffs next year?

If they don't, he's probably gone. Two seasons in a row is enough, but if we make the playoffs.... I can't see him being moved unless we make the playoffs and go 0-4.

TheThrill81*

If he doesn't change his system, then he won't be back.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
little-toaster.jpg

I'm on a tablet. Can someone hit up some photoshop magic here.

leafstilldeath*

If there is a God that has some heart for leniency and if there is a management that has a foresight and better future of the Leafs in sight then Carlyle will not be seen or talked about ever in the Leafs hockey universe.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
The second Babcock is available, and not a moment longer.

I don't know which is sadder: The leafs waiting/hoping a Babcock/McLellan becomes available or Carlyle extended on his contract. Perhaps a Gorges rejecting a go with the Leafs for the mighty Sabres?

leafstilldeath*

I don't know which is sadder: The leafs waiting/hoping a Babcock/McLellan becomes available or Carlyle extended on his contract. Perhaps a Gorges rejecting a go with the Leafs for the mighty Sabres?

Nonis giving a contract to ****ing Bozo basically signalling we don't need a 1C

Nonis giving a long term contract to Clarkson

Nonis giving a long term contract to Dion

Nonis getting an extension after a massive screw up

Carlyle getting an extension after continuously getting outplayed and outshot

Franson filing for arbitration

Leafs sucking for an entire decade

Leaf fans buying the BS MLSE throwing at them

should I go on??????????

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Nonis giving a contract to ****ing Bozo basically signalling we don't need a 1C

Nonis giving a long term contract to Clarkson

Nonis giving a long term contract to Dion

Nonis getting an extension after a massive screw up

Carlyle getting an extension after continuously getting outplayed and outshot

Franson filing for arbitration

Leafs sucking for an entire decade

Leaf fans buying the BS MLSE throwing at them

should I go on??????????

Point made. But I would argue that Nonis got his extension before his missteps.

leafstilldeath*

Point made. But I would argue that Nonis got his extension before his missteps.

I would call it a miss calculation by Lieweke. A team makes post season while consistently outshot and outplayed just because goalie stood on his head (read:Reimer) and a new kid tore it up (read: Kadri) that is just bad management and no foresight!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think extensions are BADLY over-valued in this market. We saw with Wilson that they literally mean nothing to an organization that has so much money.

Regarding Carlyle - he won't last the year. The Leafs will struggle similarly to the way they struggled last year (why shouldn't they? They've basically made minor, sideways moves all off-season), the pressure will befall the organization and it's only recourse will be to fire Randy.

We will then all agree that it was the right move, before arguing that it should have been a move that was made in the off-season instead of wasting yet another season with an inept coach who clearly lost the room last year.

Then, the Leafs will likely bring in someone decent or promote from within on the interim, who will do a decent enough job, screwing the Leafs out of a good draft pick but not getting the Leafs into the playoffs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's pretty obvious that he won't be, and here is why.

1) The Leafs have stated that they will only replace 2 of the 3 assistant coaches, and in all likely hood, they will be Derek King and Greg Dineen.

2) Shanahan wanted Carlyle to coach out his contract, but Carlyle said he didn't want to come back if he didn't have his assistants or more term on his contract, so Shanahan just tossed a year onto his contract

3) And finally, Mike Babcock is expected to leave Detroit after this upcoming season, and Todd McLellan, should the Sharks struggle again, could be out too. It was reported that if either became available that Carlyle would have been gone.

It's pretty clear, at least personally, that Shanahan isn't expecting much this season, and is allowing Carlyle to stay behind the bench for an extra year in order to get one of the guys he really wants behind the bench long term, and quite possibly allowing Nonis to remain GM for the season before bringing in his own guy, or just simply taking over himself.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Kinda hard to say when we don't know how the team will perform this year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Im pretty sure Shanny just wasnt too happy with any particular coach that was available, and wanted more time to learn about the lesser known AHL and CHL coaching options, and to see who else becomes available before making a decision.

Sure, if Randy gets us to the second round of the playoffs, and its due to coaching and not just hot goaltending / hot scoring, then they might keep him around. Coaching primarily impacts defensive play IMO, and our numbers have been terrible for his entire tenure here.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I think extensions are BADLY over-valued in this market. We saw with Wilson that they literally mean nothing to an organization that has so much money.

Regarding Carlyle - he won't last the year. The Leafs will struggle similarly to the way they struggled last year (why shouldn't they? They've basically made minor, sideways moves all off-season), the pressure will befall the organization and it's only recourse will be to fire Randy.

We will then all agree that it was the right move, before arguing that it should have been a move that was made in the off-season instead of wasting yet another season with an inept coach who clearly lost the room last year.

Then, the Leafs will likely bring in someone decent or promote from within on the interim, who will do a decent enough job, screwing the Leafs out of a good draft pick but not getting the Leafs into the playoffs.

One thing you might be missing is Phaneuf without Gunner. I think Phaneuf will get run out of town which should help with the tank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad