Will Randy be back for the 2015-2016 season?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It's pretty obvious that he won't be, and here is why.

1) The Leafs have stated that they will only replace 2 of the 3 assistant coaches, and in all likely hood, they will be Derek King and Greg Dineen.

2) Shanahan wanted Carlyle to coach out his contract, but Carlyle said he didn't want to come back if he didn't have his assistants or more term on his contract, so Shanahan just tossed a year onto his contract

3) And finally, Mike Babcock is expected to leave Detroit after this upcoming season, and Todd McLellan, should the Sharks struggle again, could be out too. It was reported that if either became available that Carlyle would have been gone.

It's pretty clear, at least personally, that Shanahan isn't expecting much this season, and is allowing Carlyle to stay behind the bench for an extra year in order to get one of the guys he really wants behind the bench long term, and quite possibly allowing Nonis to remain GM for the season before bringing in his own guy, or just simply taking over himself.

Interesting. You may be onto something here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he doesn't make fundamental and radical tactical and even philosophical changes to his coaching strategy/systems, I think he'll be gone by Christmas (the likely scenario).

If they don't make the playoffs, he'll be gone by the end of the regular season. The team makes the playoffs, he'll stick around another year.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
At this point it's really hard to see Randy coming back, or even wanting too. I guess the biggest factor will be the season, but I don't see it going well if we don't make some big changes.

Speaking of changes, I think they will be made. The one question is if Randy will make the changes willingly or if he will be forced to make them. Right now from a few comments by our GM it appears they expect things to be run differently. I think the reason we are taking so long with assistance is because we want someone on the bench that can take over incase Randy is let go early in the season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
None of us have a crystal ball so how can anyone possibly answer this?

You predict and infer.

You know, like the sort of stuff that is going on in about 90% of the threads on this forum?

And I do have one of those black crystal balls that you shake and it gives you an answer. Last night before I went to bed, I asked it if Carlyle would last the season - I shook it, and it eventually answered "not a chance".

So there you have it.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Phaneuf- Polak and Phaneuf-Robidas should be interesting to say the least.

Phaneuf- Polak!?

Polak maxes out as a bottom pairing Dman.

One of the biggest problems this coaching / management regime has faced recently, is playing guys well outside of their niche.

McClement last year as a third-to-second line center? Gunnarsson as a top pairing player?

You move Polak up the lineup, and you hurt the team. End of story. If Roman Polak is playing any more than 12-15 minutes a night, something is wrong fundamentally with the way the organization is handling it's players.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
One thing you might be missing is Phaneuf without Gunner. I think Phaneuf will get run out of town which should help with the tank
yes it's hard to believe he had a career before Gunnar. how did he survive I wonder.

thank god for Gunnar he can now go shine like the star he is now that he doesn't have to carry all that dead weight 25+ minutes a night

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Phaneuf- Polak!?

Polak maxes out as a bottom pairing Dman.

One of the biggest problems this coaching / management regime has faced recently, is playing guys well outside of their niche.

McClement last year as a third-to-second line center? Gunnarsson as a top pairing player?

You move Polak up the lineup, and you hurt the team. End of story. If Roman Polak is playing any more than 12-15 minutes a night, something is wrong fundamentally with the way the organization is handling it's players.

Yup, buckle up and enjoy the ride, it's gona be bumpy

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Not much optimism for Randy here. If Carlyle is back in 15/16 on merit, will Nonis and Shanahan have to be considered geniuses?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not much optimism for Randy here. If Carlyle is back in 15/16 on merit, will Nonis and Shanahan have to be considered geniuses?

At this point, merit = making the playoffs, and that's that.

So there's almost no chance he will make it back.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
If the leafs make the playoffs, then yes.

So roughly a 5% chance he will be back.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
If the leafs make the playoffs, then yes.

So roughly a 5% chance he will be back.

Not necessarily.

If the playoff performance is a disaster he's most likely fired as well.

It would take a hard fought series loss that could have went either way (or a cup win lolol) to save Carlyle this season

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
yes it's hard to believe he had a career before Gunnar. how did he survive I wonder.

thank god for Gunnar he can now go shine like the star he is now that he doesn't have to carry all that dead weight 25+ minutes a night

You just watch Phaneuf this year without him

I am all aboard tank nation so I don't care. There is going to be some shocked people around here.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'm sure most people know, I'm not a Carlyle supporter and he has not been given an out right vote of confidence, by Shanahan or Nonis by retaining him for another year, he is in fact on shaky ground, as far as I'm concerned.

What bothers me the most, is the fact that the assistant coaches have not been hired and I was hoping, they would hire one or two former head coaches as assistants, to take over the reins should the team falter and also institute a new system, one with more flow and not as static as the one we watched this past year.

The longer this hiring process goes on, the less chance of getting some good coaches, to institute the changes needed, to take this team, to the play-offs and then hopefully make some noise, in the play-offs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad