Speculation: Will Petry be traded before the season starts?

Will Petry be traded from Montreal before the start of the upcoming season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Realistically Petry is probably worth nothing. But then we got a 2nd round pick for Offman and Pitlick without retention. With another GM i'd agree Petry is worth nothing but KH has surprised me once than once so far ...
Petry at less than 2.5 is absolutely worth something. Especially like others noted if we’re gonna take a bad contract back.

Like you said KH has done nothing but maximize asset value in trades. If he can’t get anything worthwhile he could just as easily keep him till the TDL.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
What a stud. Even Drouin has a better points per 60 mins and add Balzile. By your logic we need to immediately trade our future for anybody on that list. You’re kidding right? So if Alex Balzile had his minutes doubled he’d automatically have double the points? Pretty grotesque argument there sir

you have like 5 strawman in a 50 words reply. Congrats.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't agree.

He scored 0.5ppg last year, with a +2 rating on 22.35 minutes per game.

That is 2nd pair level, and $4.588M for 2 years for a 2nd pair guy (more like a #2 or 3 really) is reasonable. Jeff had moe ES points than Letang.
And Petry never has had any serious knee / leg injuries nor has he shown any sign of decreased pace / lateral mobility despite his age

Reactions: Rapala

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Free rr the

Uhhh...is this a trick question? Dallas.
Maybe now, but If Jeff is having a stellar season, like 35 points by the TDL with lots of minutes and praise around the elague for his "comeback", and he is one of the top D available on the market, he might fetch a first+ just like Chiarot did.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sterling Archer

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Haven't been posting much during the summer but, the pandemic and Ducharme were tough on everyone and no matter if you make a normal wage or make millions I can't fault a guy who puts his family needs as a top priority. I think Hughes tries to trade him, but ultimately doesn't succeed, and Petry plays til TDL. I'm hoping we get a patented weird goal and a few nice hits in.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
what teams are realistic trade partners for Petry? If all the teams out west are off his list, where might he end up? I don't have the slightest clue right now.

Columbus? Detroit? Islanders?

I just don't know where he would end up.
BUF, CBJ and CHI would be my top 3 guess all have cap space and near Michigan…

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
For free at 4 plus million not 2 plus . That with todays cap crunch to many contending teams means a lot .
But let’s wait and see

Haven't been posting much during the summer but, the pandemic and Ducharme were tough on everyone and no matter if you make a normal wage or make millions I can't fault a guy who puts his family needs as a top priority. I think Hughes tries to trade him, but ultimately doesn't succeed, and Petry plays til TDL. I'm hoping we get a patented weird goal and a few nice hits in.
When I worked away, and was not a pandemic , I know how hard it was on my wife and she had family support next to her.
So I fully understand the challenges the petrys faced and I think they are of the past .

Reactions: badfish

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would imagine Hughes knows the market on Petry and would have not done the trade blind? It's likely that there are some teams interested at 50% retention but they are working out the details.

I would expect something like a 2nd and a 1 year cap dump coming back. Something around $4M where the other team gets to save cap.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
MSN

This guy said he would trade Petry for Chiarot if the Wings would retain 50% of Chiarot's salary.

I loved Chiarot but to me we have enough Ds as it is.
I might be spending too much time on HF, but I'm getting to a point where it upsets me to read someone trying to sound intelligent in 300+ words while explaining how it is a good idea to retain on a multi year deal

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Maybe now, but If Jeff is having a stellar season, like 35 points by the TDL with lots of minutes and praise around the elague for his "comeback", and he is one of the top D available on the marrketm, he might fetch a first+ just like Chiarot did.
That’s a little too aspirational. That’s good enough for a whole season with solid defensive play.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The Habs D of

Petry, Matheson, Guhle, Barron, Savard, Xhekaj, Harris, Wideman, Kovacevic doesn't look like it needs Petry ... But it will if there's an injury never mind two or three.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs/Oilers possible trade
* Petry (50% retention.. $2.34M)
for
* Ceci (2 years left at $3.25M)
* Oilers 2026 2nd

Saves the Oilers almost $1M to help sign Bouchard to a bridge
Ekholm / Bouchard
Nurse / Petry
Kulak / Desharnais

Habs use Ceci as depth for this season and probably buy him out next summer. Cost to buy him out would be $900k and $1.17M

Hoffman/Pitlick basically returned two 2nd rounders and cap space hits we can manage.

23/24:
Hoffman ($4.5M) + Pitlick ($1.1M) - Petry's retention cap hit ($2.34M) + Ceci ($3.25M) = 0M in the difference.

24/25: Petry's retention cap hit ($2.34M) + Ceci buy out ($900k) = $3.24M of dead cap

25/26: Ceci buy out hit $1.17M

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
for
* Oilers 2026 2nd

Ekholm / Bouchard
Nurse / Petry
Kulak / Desharnais

Habs use Ceci as depth for this season and probably buy him out next summer. Cost to buy him out would be $900k and $1.17M

Hoffman/Pitlick basically returned two 2nd rounders and cap space hits we can manage.

23/24:
Hoffman ($4.5M) + Pitlick ($1.1M) - Petry's retention cap hit ($2.34M) + Ceci ($3.25M) = 0M in the difference.

24/25: Petry's retention cap hit ($2.34M) + Ceci buy out ($900k) = $3.24M of dead cap

EDM will be on Petry NTC list

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That’s a little too aspirational. That’s good enough for a whole season with solid defensive play.
I was aiming to show a number around 0.6 PPG

for
* Oilers 2026 2nd
Hard no. There is no reason to retain on Petry, and ALSO take back a bad contract.

Hughes is on record against multi-year retentions. If he ever gave in, I'm fairly sure it would be a small percentage, not 50% nor millions of dollars.

Plus it's reported that EDM is on the no-trade list.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Hard no. There is no reason to retain on Petry, and ALSO take back a bad contract.

Hughes is on record against multi-year retentions. If he ever gave in, I'm fairly sure it would be a small percentage, not 50% nor millions of dollars.

I think 0.4 PPG is more realistic for where he's at and what he's done recently. I think him not playing a game in Montreal is even more realistic though and he gets traded before the golf tournament or the very latest, training camp.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
for
* Oilers 2026 2nd

Ekholm / Bouchard
Nurse / Petry
Kulak / Desharnais

23/24:

1691670689175.jpeg

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
EDM will be on Petry NTC list
i doubt it since he played for EDM and was drafted by them . I mean it's possible that they are on it , but i never heard him say anything bad against his former team. Too bad that we dont have access to that list .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Look up how many teams have cap space to take on Petry's full cap hit. Or even his 50% cap hit. Circumstance matters here bud.

The question I would ponder is a 2026 2nd enough?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
i doubt it since he played for EDM and was drafted by them . I mean it's possible that they are on it , but i never heard him say anything bad against his former team. Too bad that we dont have access to that list .
We know that almost all the west teams are on his list because he wants to play in the east and from what we know, he didn’t really like it in EDM. He asked to be traded (or didn’t want to resign)

Reactions: Kimota

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Look up how many teams have cap space to take on Petry's full cap hit. Or even his 50% cap hit. Circumstance matters here bud.
At the TDL and next summer would be better times than now to try such a deal, unless a contending team gets a long-term injury, has the space to replace the player and does not want to hurt its chances of competing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At the TDL and next summer would be better times than now to try such a deal, unless a contendiong team gets a long-term injury, has the space to replace the player and does not want to hurt its chances of competintg.

I'm not so sure we have plans of keeping Petry though. Very curious to know what they are planning because our D is cluttered.

Petry is 35/36 this season and 36/37 next season. He has value but it could get worse if you wait. Do you think we use him in high usage if we keep him?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not sure about that. We can only guess. What I do know is teams who are rebuilding are likely on his list. And those are the teams with cap space for the most part.
I'm 99% sure EDM are on his list. It was report that west teams are on his list and the chances that a Canadian west teams are on not in his list are extremely low

This is not an easy contract to move
I'm not expecting a big return either.. would't even be surpris if he's gone without retention for futur consideration

Reactions: NORiculous

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not so sure we have plans of keeping Petry though. Very curious to know what they are planning because our D is cluttered.

Petry is 35/36 this season and 36/37 next season. He has value but it could get worse if you wait. Do you think we use him in high usage if we keep him?
I am fairly certain that Kent would not have acquired Petry if he were not able to run with him on the roster should attempts to trade him not succeed.

Usage would be what he can handle. I don't think 22 minutes in the role of #3 is out of the question.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am fairly certain that Kent would not have acquired Petry if he were not able to run with him on the roster should attempts to trade him not succeed.

Usage would be what he can handle. I don't think 22 minutes in the role of #3 is out of the question.

Well that's obvious but it's option B bud. I think Hughes talked to other GM's before agreeing to the trade. I'm 75/25 he gets traded.

Reactions: HabzSauce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad