Speculation: Will Nikolai Kulemin re-sign in Toronto?

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
What real incentive does he have to resign in Toronto ?

The team drafted and developed him. He has been here for 6 years. He has played more games as a Leaf than any other current Leafs' player. He gets a regular shift every single game. The coach trusts him. His two children were born in Toronto.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
When is this seasons trade deadline?

This recent winning streak might keep us in the mix longer, but we are a still a bubble team and could find ourselves outside of the playoffs if we have another big losing steak.

IF this happens, Nonis can hopefully move Kulemin for futures. Personally I'd rather have him over a player like Clarkson, but I think that signing makes him expendable.

if not, I think we lose him as a free agent. He does not have the best hands, but hes proven that hes capable of scoring 30 goals when paired with good line-mates and 15 with limited minutes in a defensive role. I bet some team gets desperate and offers him 4 M on the open market. In the role he now has for the leafs, we can't afford to pay him that. We also have a good number of young players who are ready to step up into a bottom 6 roll with the leafs.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I disagree that he is capable of 30 goals anymore. He was given big min under Wilson and has done nothing to prove he deserves more now. He has great linemates in Lupul and Kadri the other night. He is just not there, the plane crash is not an excuse anymore. I honestly think he doesn't want to play here and it might be time to make him trade bait.

That gaff on the board last night was brutal and sadly he is more like that now then that savvy rookie who had no issue chipping the puck out and making a great first pass. Time to move on.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I agree, he isn't producing and he is getting lazy out there. I think it's time to trade him for some kid who at least put the puck into the net. D'Amigo can PK and skate so there really is no need to keep him

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
I disagree that he is capable of 30 goals anymore. He was given big min under Wilson and has done nothing to prove he deserves more now. He has great linemates in Lupul and Kadri the other night. He is just not there, the plane crash is not an excuse anymore. I honestly think he doesn't want to play here and it might be time to make him trade bait.

That gaff on the board last night was brutal and sadly he is more like that now then that savvy rookie who had no issue chipping the puck out and making a great first pass. Time to move on.

Sadly I wish you were wrong, but I have to agree. When he stopped scoring he was still good for a solid hit every other shift or so, and a beast in the corners. Hes too inconsistent now and his offense has basically left him.

If there are other franchises, like Pitt for instance, who value him higher and think that if he plays with other players it will yield different results, then Nonis needs to jump all over that. Im far more interested in moving the likes Kulemin and Lupol (who will both get you something) then Gardiner and Kadri.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Kulemin's 30 goal season was an outlier season. He had a 17.3 shooting percentage that season. Every season other than his 30 goal and 7 goal seasons he has scored at a rate to put him somewhere in the teens. And if you average what he did over the 2 year stretch of the 30 and 7 goals, he's also a scorer in the teens.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
How much do you pay a mature, healthy NHL winger who is strongly built, should average around 15 goals and 20 assists, makes a decent defensive effort, doesn't fight or intimidate anyone, skates a bit awkwardly, who is better offensively but not defensively on his off-wing and never complains about his role on the team? About the same as he currently makes.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Kulemin outproduces MayRay on the 5v5 (1.60 pts/60 mins vs. 1.58 pts/60 mins) and I get a warning for libel because I call Don Cherry xenophobic? It's so obvious that Don Cherry is biased against European players. I call it like I see it...

pacdunes

Jan 24, 2011
Arizona & San Fran
Kulemin outproduces MayRay on the 5v5 (1.60 pts/60 mins vs. 1.58 pts/60 mins) and I get a warning for libel because I call Don Cherry xenophobic? It's so obvious that Don Cherry is biased against European players. I call it like I see it...
For real?????

Kulemin is a plug. I'd rather have Komarov. Kulemin is a master at the flamingo.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
How often does Kulemin make that error he made last night?

That was literally the only huge gaf I remember from this season and now posters are using it as a crutch to call him lazy? Hahahaha - the confirmation bias around here is absolutely hysterical. The rest of the team makes mistakes like that on a nightly basis but when our pending UFA does it - "TIME TO MOVE ON."

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011

That was literally the only huge gaf I remember from this season and now posters are using it as a crutch to call him lazy? Hahahaha - the confirmation bias around here is absolutely hysterical. The rest of the team makes mistakes like that on a nightly basis but when our pending UFA does it - "TIME TO MOVE ON."

This isnt about how often he makes the mistake he made last night (which is not often) its about a 3mil/year 2nd/3rd line winger who looks like he will never score 10+ goals again and is basically a defensively a responsible winger who kills penalties. We have guys like that on the farm who cost less and are salary controlled for longer. Its asset management and right now hes 3mil of the cap expiring. Thats good enough to either get another asset, or to allow to expire so you can use the space for other assets.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
The team drafted and developed him. He has been here for 6 years. He has played more games as a Leaf than any other current Leafs' player. He gets a regular shift every single game. The coach trusts him. His two children were born in Toronto.

How is any of that incentive ?

Perhaps he visions himself getting the the Cup finals?
In those 6 years he has been here how many of those has he been in the playoffs? ;)

Just because he was drafted here and he gets 3rd line shifts does not mean he will be willing to stay.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

He has been doing this more often lately, like he is playing not to get hurt.

I like Kulie and would like him back, but not at his current cap hit....if he would take a pay cut then we resign him for 3-4 years at 2.5 -2.75 per and I would resign him.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Kulemin's 30 goal season was an outlier season. He had a 17.3 shooting percentage that season. Every season other than his 30 goal and 7 goal seasons he has scored at a rate to put him somewhere in the teens. And if you average what he did over the 2 year stretch of the 30 and 7 goals, he's also a scorer in the teens.
I could see him being a lot more offensively productive if he had Grabovski as a centre, and was given offensive minutes. Those previous seasons are not a fair comparison, because he wasn't really utilised to produce offensively. It's the same reason why Clarkson isn't producing much either.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Do you want Kulemin for another 5 years though? This is his Clarkson contract time. Granted he won't get stupid money and term like that but some team will give him more than the Leafs should be paying him . Lots more.
We'll see. Our forward core is not very well constructed. We don't need a soft top six consisting of Bozak, JVR, Kadri, Kessel, and Lupul. In other words, we need our own Kunitz, Marleaus, Sharps, etc.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
We'll see. Our forward core is not very well constructed. We don't need a soft top six consisting of Bozak, JVR, Kadri, Kessel, and Lupul. In other words, we need our own Kunitz, Marleaus, Sharps, etc.

Nazem Kadri has more hits than Patrick Marleau and Patrick Sharp combined and is practically tied with Chris Kunitz in that department. JVR is outhitting both of those aforementioned players as well, and he's a power player who isn't very soft at all -- especially seeing as how he scored the vast majority of his goals from the most physical area of the ice. Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul aren't particularly soft either. We have one soft player in our top 6 and that's Phil Kessel who is also without a doubt our most talented player.

Instead of soft, the word you're seeking is "one-way talent." None of top 6 are particularly adept at the defensive side of the game, aside from maybe Tyler Bozak and Nikolai Kulemin when he gets top 6 opportunity.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Nazem Kadri has more hits than Patrick Marleau and Patrick Sharp combined and is practically tied with Chris Kunitz in that department. JVR is outhitting both of those aforementioned players as well, and he's a power player who isn't very soft at all -- especially seeing as how he scored the vast majority of his goals from the most physical area of the ice. Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul aren't particularly soft either. We have one soft player in our top 6 and that's Phil Kessel who is also without a doubt our most talented player.

Instead of soft, the word you're seeking is "one-way talent." None of top 6 are particularly adept at the defensive side of the game, aside from maybe Tyler Bozak and Nikolai Kulemin when he gets top 6 opportunity.

Good post. Sharp and Marleau are not physical at all, soft is the wrong word.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Puhhleaasee :shakehead

JVR, Kadri(last year anyway), Lupul and Kulemin ARE NOT SOFT. Phil Kessel is soft, and him being our defining forward, leads people to believe we have a soft top 6.

On top of that, we have Clarkson and Bolland who are gritty players and can also play top 6.

As the post above mine said, our problem is our forwards are far too lazy in the defensive zone (it's improved somewhat). You want a soft forward group? Go look at the Habs and Oilers.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
there is a roster freeze the day of the Olympics I think (so Feb 7). and then March 5th is deadline day

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Put Kulemin with real linemates and a team that doesn't make him play dump and chase all game and he'd be a legit 40+ guy at least with great 2-way play.

Nonis messed up severely by buying-out Grabo, wasting an amnesty only to sign Clarkson. Was a joke move from day 1.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Nazem Kadri has more hits than Patrick Marleau and Patrick Sharp combined and is practically tied with Chris Kunitz in that department. JVR is outhitting both of those aforementioned players as well, and he's a power player who isn't very soft at all -- especially seeing as how he scored the vast majority of his goals from the most physical area of the ice. Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul aren't particularly soft either. We have one soft player in our top 6 and that's Phil Kessel who is also without a doubt our most talented player.[

When in the world were hits even considered a reliable statistic? It's a very fuzzy figure, and no, none of the forwards you mentioned have the propensity to play in traffic. Hell, the 'soft' Patrick Kane is more willing to make plays in traffic than Nazem Kadri.

My point is, we need a top six with a much stronger two-way game. I look at all the contenders and see that component. However, we lack that, and it shows when we're hemmed in our zone. It's actually ironic that our D core primary limitation is their ability to effectively drive possession.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I can't believe how some of you can call Kulemin an expendable piece. He's like a glue on our team and can competently play on any line without being a liability. He's one of the rarest kinds of forward on the team: a multi-faceted one.

Only Bozak and JVR are top-6 players that are able to handle their duties on both ends of the ice. Only clarkson and Holland can provide some offense from our bottom-6. And none of these players are as complete as Kulemin in playing that two-way game.

Kulemin's become a jack-of-all-trades and is used defensively because our other forwards are just not good enough on that end. If and hopefully when this team acquires more two-way players will we be able to see Kulemin's offensive game.

It's kind of funny with this board. You have Kulemin and Franson: two guys that are playing a more defensive role on this team are the same guys that are getting ragged on. FWIW, RC likes to line match and if these scapegoats do leave, you'll find new ones.

And no. AHLers rarely succeed playing in these defensive roles.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I really like kulemin.

I think he is a great 3rd line winger with 2nd line injury fill/size.

He really needs a scenery change. I hate to part with him because I think he has 50pt potential while being a physical beast and he steps it up in the playoffs.

I think he could be worth some good value, and could definitely be used as a solid young roster piece to step up to get a good piece. That being said, I would not move him for less then a first rounder individually, even if I had to throw in a small taster.

I would be happy to hold onto him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad