Speculation: Will Nikolai Kulemin re-sign in Toronto?

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I think he stays. Only place I can see him other than Tdot is in Pittsburgh.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The question is, could someone like Leivo/Biggs fill his shoes in the not too distant future? I don't know. Him being the only remaining Russian on the team and being slightly misused by coaching staff, I think quite a few teams would sound more attractive to Kulie as a UFA.

Bottom line is, we can't let him walk for nothing. I'd be down w/ a conditional trade as a rental and getting a bonus pick depending if he resigns w/ the team (Pitts). I'm very curious to see how Kulemin plays at the Olympics and how much time he spends beside Malkin.

And the plot thickens...

If he had a Center like Bolland or Kadri all year as opposed to Mcclement, his stats would be more impressive.

A lot of us know his value goes beyond goals and assists. I think he is better than Raymond by a decent margin. 15-20 goals for the type of player Kulemin is, is almost like 25 goals by Lupul or Raymond.

His defensive game and board work make him a very valuable player to us. Like to see him sign with us, but other chips may have to fall if he does.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
So let's say you're a telemarketer. How fair is it for you to be able to make sales when your telephone only allows for 1/4 of the words you say to be audible? That's what it's like for Kulemin to play with McClement and be expected to produce.

Playing with Kadri is like playing with a phone that works properly.
It's not just that Kulemin plays with Kadri and Lupul now. Now that he's on the 2nd scoring line, he's getting more offensive zone starts and less defensive zone starts. It's hard to produce when 40%+ of the face-offs you are on the ice for are taken in your own zone as opposed to the neutral zone or your opponent's zone.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The question is, could someone like Leivo/Biggs fill his shoes in the not too distant future? I don't know. Him being the only remaining Russian on the team and being slightly misused by coaching staff, I think quite a few teams would sound more attractive to Kulie as a UFA.

Bottom line is, we can't let him walk for nothing.
I'd be down w/ a conditional trade as a rental and getting a bonus pick depending if he resigns w/ the team (Pitts). I'm very curious to see how Kulemin plays at the Olympics and how much time he spends beside Malkin.

And the plot thickens...

This approach is one that makes literally zero sense. The Leafs right now sit in a playoff spot. Kulemin may not be a big reason why we are, but if we hope to have any success in the playoffs.... somebody like Kulemin is going to be very valuable.

That being said, I wonder if the Pens would consider parting with Beau Bennett in a Kulemin deal. He produced big with Malkin last year, and could be a potential low cost fit opposite Joffrey Lupul in our top 6.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
This approach is one that makes literally zero sense. The Leafs right now sit in a playoff spot. Kulemin may not be a big reason why we are, but if we hope to have any success in the playoffs.... somebody like Kulemin is going to be very valuable.

That being said, I wonder if the Pens would consider parting with Beau Bennett in a Kulemin deal. He produced big with Malkin last year, and could be a potential low cost fit opposite Joffrey Lupul in our top 6.

Precisely. People seem to think that letting a player walk away when they reach UFA status means "bad asset management". If a player like Kulemin helps the Leafs make the playoffs, helps them be competitive when they get there, and then signs with another team as a UFA (as is his right), that is not bad asset management. Kulemin brought value to the team throughout the season and the playoffs.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
The thing is Kulemin will obviously expect a raise which quite frankly he doesn't deserve. Leafs can get some one younger and cheaper for his role to be honest. The sky won't fall if he walks.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
The thing is Kulemin will obviously expect a raise which quite frankly he doesn't deserve. Leafs can get some one younger and cheaper for his role to be honest. The sky won't fall if he walks.

How can he expect a raise? I think the range he's in is pretty bang on.

Fun stat (though +/- is garbage, bear with me): in the 7-1 loss to Dallas, there was one plus player on the Leafs: Nikolai Kulemin.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
No hands tonight though. He could have had a hat trick and he had an assist on one of the Jets goals.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Fun stat (though +/- is garbage, bear with me): in the 7-1 loss to Dallas, there was one plus player on the Leafs: Nikolai Kulemin.

No, Kulemin will get some overpayment and make a team very unhappy in a few years... Just like what happened with Malone, except not as bad. Kulemin knows it too.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto

This is the contract where these guys cash in. His agent will want too much and hopefully Nonis doesn't give it to him.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
No, Kulemin will get some overpayment and make a team very unhappy in a few years... Just like what happened with Malone, except not as bad. Kulemin knows it too.

such is the way of 3rd line UFAs.

ill miss kuli to be sure.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
:laugh:

The way people reacted after Grapes' rant on him, you would think that some of the people around here were legitimately waiting for Kulemin to make a gaffing mistake that leads to a goal so they would finally have a chance to go off on him. Kinda like the Gunnarsson treatment. Like seriously, all the people that just went off ranting when it happened were people who I have NEVER seen post in here.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I say trade him. I know we could use him for the playoffs, but we have Clarkson and D'Amigo.

The only thing Clarkson knows how to defend is a waterbottle. Our wingers are generally pretty putrid defensively, if Kulemin leaves we're going to need to find someone to fill his heavy minutes, and I don't think D'Amigo is quite ready for that yet.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
:laugh:

The way people reacted after Grapes' rant on him, you would think that some of the people around here were legitimately waiting for Kulemin to make a gaffing mistake that leads to a goal so they would finally have a chance to go off on him. Kinda like the Gunnarsson treatment. Like seriously, all the people that just went off ranting when it happened were people who I have NEVER seen post in here.
What Cherry said tonight is meaningless except him pointing out that Kuli was soft on the goal. However as I said upthread his agent is going to be looking for a raise and I think Kuli is being paid at the max right now for what he delivers so I say it's time for the Leafs and him to move on in different directions.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
What Cherry said tonight is meaningless except him pointing out that Kuli was soft on the goal. However as I said upthread his agent is going to be looking for a raise and I think Kuli is being paid at the max right now for what he delivers so I say it's time for the Leafs and him to move on in different directions.
Who will be available in upcoming FA market that could replace Kulemin? I don't see anyone with a comparable skill set amongst our prospects outside Gauthier who is a bit raw. Right now, I'd rather have Kulemin on our team than Clarkson.

JVR is great in front of the net, Holland has the instincts, as does Ashton and Brodie. On the other hand, no one has Kulemin's strong two-way game yet.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Who will be available in upcoming FA market that could replace Kulemin? I don't see anyone with a comparable skill set amongst our prospects outside Gauthier who is a bit raw. Right now, I'd rather have Kulemin on our team than Clarkson.

JVR is great in front of the net, Holland has the instincts, as does Ashton and Brodie. On the other hand, no one has Kulemin's strong two-way game yet.
Do you want Kulemin for another 5 years though? This is his Clarkson contract time. Granted he won't get stupid money and term like that but some team will give him more than the Leafs should be paying him . Lots more.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The only thing Clarkson knows how to defend is a waterbottle. Our wingers are generally pretty putrid defensively, if Kulemin leaves we're going to need to find someone to fill his heavy minutes, and I don't think D'Amigo is quite ready for that yet.

Well technically, there's a waterbottle on top of the net... And we don't want it to fall off the net, since that tends to mean they score... So... Also, D'Amigo and Bolland (whose coming back) can handle it. D'Amigo can handle 15 minutes a game easily. Probably closer to 20 minutes.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Well technically, there's a waterbottle on top of the net... And we don't want it to fall off the net, since that tends to mean they score... So... Also, D'Amigo and Bolland (whose coming back) can handle it. D'Amigo can handle 15 minutes a game easily. Probably closer to 20 minutes.

Can D'Amigo play 15-20 minutes with playoff-caliber teams targeting him as the weak link of our defensive game and playing their top players against him whenever they can? Bolland takes some of the pressure off though, you're right. I'd like a trade for Vernon Fiddler off Dallas or someone of that caliber if Kulemin is traded though, you need experience in the playoffs.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Don Cherry's rant about Kulemin was seriously unwarranted. He certainly does hit and go into the corners. That goal was as much the product of Kulemin playing his wrong wing as anything else. Plus a bad referee who isn't athletic enough to stay away from the play.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I don't think we will see many trades by Toronto this year at the deadline. Nonis is very cautious when it comes to trading and with Toronto being so close to the bubble for the playoffs a trade will be hard to justify. It will be hard to tell the fans and even the players that they want to win while trading away players like kulemin and Raymond for futures. If they make these trades and just miss the playoffs it will be a nightmare for the optics of it. Keeping these players and getting playoff experience may well be more valuable then the futures they may get.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
If the Leafs are playoff bound, trading Kulemin for a draft pick would be career limiting move for the GM. Now, if Nonis could somehow convince a Western Conference contender to give up a younger NHL level winger who can play now and is under the Leafs' control for several more seasons, that might make some sense. Otherwise playoff bound teams keep their serviceable forwards, not shed them off for lottery tickets.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
I think he is traded or walks. What real incentive does he have to resign in Toronto ? Unless the Leafs over pay to sign him he is gone.
Pittsburgh or Washington are good destinations for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad