Speculation: Will Nikolai Kulemin re-sign in Toronto?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
After browsing other boards, a lot of people seem to think that Kulemin won't re-sign in Toronto because he's a UFA and not very happy with his diminished role.

Do you guys think Kulemin re-signs in Toronto, and if so how much cap hit/term should we sign him at?

Tdot Soldier

Apr 23, 2013
walking dist. to acc
After browsing other boards, a lot of people seem to think that Kulemin won't re-sign in Toronto because he's a UFA and not very happy with his diminished role.

Do you guys think Kulemin re-signs in Toronto, and if so how much cap hit/term should we sign him at?

I dont know but we'd be stupid not to give our best try to sign him. He's like our only legit 2 way forward.

dsf

Dec 7, 2009
Brampton
Unless you replace Kulie with someone equal or better, you will notice it big time when he's gone.

I sincerely hope they hang on to him but wherever he goes will become my second favourite team (reserve the right to take that back if he goes to a really ****** club lol).

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Kulemin makes 2.8m right now, he'll want a raise but how much of a raise do you give him to keep him? 3.5 wouldn't be too bad and would be more acceptable for majority here but would he even settle for that? Anything more and he should walk which would cause anger yet if you sign him for 4m, people would get angry at that. So its a tough one , I say try getting him at max 3.5 but anything else and it would be just a waste for a 3rd liner to be making imo but what do I know

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Didn't he say he liked Toronto and would like to stay here, especially after after a kid not that long ago?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Kulemin makes 2.8m right now, he'll want a raise but how much of a raise do you give him to keep him? 3.5 wouldn't be too bad and would be more acceptable for majority here but would he even settle for that? Anything more and he should walk which would cause anger yet if you sign him for 4m, people would get angry at that. So its a tough one , I say try getting him at max 3.5 but anything else and it would be just a waste for a 3rd liner to be making imo but what do I know

The problem is if you give him a top 6 role, he's easily a 20 goal scorer. Tough situation for the Leafs, hope he wants to stay & we find a way to re-sign him.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario

I agree with you on this. + Respect for the Eusebio dp, legend!

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The problem is if you give him a top 6 role, he's easily a 20 goal scorer. Tough situation for the Leafs, hope he wants to stay & we find a way to re-sign him.
Well, to be fair he was given a top 6 role, and he scored 30. Then he was an offensive black hole since then which is why he was pushed down to third when Carlyle came . The only positive thing you can really take from his offensive game is that his assists are still there. He seems like he'll be a 15 goal scorer which is what you'd want from a 3rd liner.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Well, to be fair he was given a top 6 role, and he scored 30. Then he was an offensive black hole since then which is why he was pushed down to third when Carlyle came . The only positive thing you can really take from his offensive game is that his assists are still there. He seems like he'll be a 15 goal scorer which is what you'd want from a 3rd liner.

I always figured he went through a slight slump, maybe five games or so - and Wilson realized he was actually a good defensive player, put him on the third-line and his production dropped as a result of that? Not sure if I remember correctly, been on the third line for a while now.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Depends on the Olympics - it really does. I don't think he'll be back anyways.

Kulemin is penciled into play with Malkin. If they have success, I feel that Kulemin will have the itch to be an offensive forward again and go to Pittsburgh to play with his BFF and be on a contending team. Can't really blame him.

A lot of us know how good he is and can be around here but he gets almost no respect from any of our casual fanbase, it's sad.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Sign him if we lose him we will be searching for a big shutdown winger with scoring touch and whats that going to cost??? Like the same

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Depends on the Olympics - it really does.

Kulemin is penciled into play with Malkin. If they have success, I feel that Kulemin will have the itch to be an offensive forward again and go to Pittsburgh to play with his BFF and be on a contending team. Can't really blame him.

He played with Malkin during the lockout, and they got an award for being the best line in the KHL? Heard something along those lines. Which is believed to be why he may want to leave in free agency and find a bigger role elsewhere.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
The way I see it Kulemin is worth similar to what Rich Peverley gets so that would be what I offer.

Ace88*

You guys underestimate the importance of stability to a young father. I think it's all but a foregone conclusion he re-signs for somewhere along the lines of 3.25 x 4. Hes never known another home in north america and he doesnt strike you as the kind of enterprising maverick that wants to explore the continent.

4 years, $13 million gets it done quite easily imo. And if he did leave, i think Washington is a much more likely destination than pittsburgh.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I always figured he went through a slight slump, maybe five games or so - and Wilson realized he was actually a good defensive player, put him on the third-line and his production dropped as a result of that? Not sure if I remember correctly, been on the third line for a while now.
IDK to be honest. He was paired with Grabo and Mac for 2 seasons, they were magic in the first but not nearly as good in the 2nd, and a big part of that was Kulemin's massive slump. He just couldn't finish to save his life, fortunately Wilson and Carlyle saw Kulemin's great defensive abilities and gave him those responsibilities and he's flourished in the 3rd line role. The Leafs have to pay him like one, thats just the problem that may exist . You get him at 3-3.5 and he starts scoring 25+ and you got a bargain but if you get him at over 3.5 and he only scores 15, you'd never hear the end of it lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad