Will Nick “Nature Boy” Suzuki become a true 1C?

Will Suzuki become a true 1C?

• Total voters

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Not sure about a true #1 centre but after this season with the play-ins and playoffs, the trio of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Danault looks much more promising over the next few seasons.

Reactions: wintersej

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think Kokomiami has a higher offensive ceiling and a better chance to become elite, but it's a nice 1-2 punch.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Reference to David Suzuki's "The Nature of Things".

There's only one nature boy...time for a title fight, to crown the real Nature boy.

ric_flair.jpg

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Why not? I don’t know a ton about his draft hype or his prospect numbers but based on what I’ve seen he reminds me a lot of Barzal. If MTL can bring in a young sniper to develop with him he could put up big numbers, especially with the style MTL plays.

Reactions: Gravity

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Why not? I don’t know a ton about his draft hype or his prospect numbers but based on what I’ve seen he reminds me a lot of Barzal. If MTL can bring in a young sniper to develop with him he could put up big numbers, especially with the style MTL plays.

Sounds like Cole Caufield

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Yes i've never seen a rookie wearing the habs logo ease himself so easily into NHL hockey and become an impactful top 6 player so soon . The game comes naturally to him because god knows its not us doing anything to make this happen :laugh:. No but honnestly Montreal have always been tough on rookies and this dude just cant make the coaching staff not play him hes so good.
I think he's the real deal .

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To those saying no, I’d be really interested in having the rationale fully explained. Just because he was not a top-10 pick? His statistical progression lines up nicely against many former and current players who would definitely be considered “true 1Cs” and he obviously has the required vision and puck skills.
He is clearly trending that way his hockey sense is out if this world. A hard trait for many on hf to identify until someone tells them. There is no doubt he is prgressing to be a number 1 C, he reminds me of young Claude Giroux.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
And Holtz or Quinn at 9 this draft.

Montreal should soon be finally shedding the “lacking goalscoring talent” tag they’ve been dragging around for way too long...seems like decades at this point. Good stuff.
Habs dont have pick #9

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
By true 1C, are we talking about the top 10-15 centers? Probably not. I guess it's possible he could have a Bergeron-esque career arc, but I wouldn't expect it.

I expect he'll be a top 32 center for a lot of his career, but won't be able to break into that top tier.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
To those saying no, I’d be really interested in having the rationale fully explained. Just because he was not a top-10 pick? His statistical progression lines up nicely against many former and current players who would definitely be considered “true 1Cs” and he obviously has the required vision and puck skills.

I voted no because he hasn't played enough games yet.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I am high on Suzuki but see him as a tweener first line center but more likely a very good second line guy. Very high hockey IQ. I like his chances much more than KK. I am not buying the hype on him yet. Disappears far more often than he shows up.

Suzuki disapears more often than he shows up, what?

To OP's question, he's definitely shown signs he could become one. I think he'd already be a solid 2C option, so given that he progresses a little I believe that he could become a legit one ala ROR or Barkov (solid defensively, and bringing around 70-80 pts per year).

LOL at the William Karlsson/Derek Stepan comparison, pretty sure he attains or surpass that level this coming season.

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
He has inpressed me. He processes the game at an elite level. I think he can be a great 1C but not a true franchise one.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad