Will Nick “Nature Boy” Suzuki become a true 1C?

Will Suzuki become a true 1C?

• Total voters

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
:huh:......

Kyle Turris in the 2012-2013 playoffs

10gp-6g-3a-9pts

Im guessing you also forget that some of those big goals were pretty big ones too eh.....?

For sure you could make a case for it. Hes started off better than Turris did in Arizona, that much is true.

Bert (the guy I quoted) isnt saying that though. Not at all.... He seems to think Suzuki is already an upper echelon #1C, without him actually ever having played the role for a full season...

People need to stop acting like its such a huge insult to be compared with peak Kyle Turris. Once the nature boy starts getting all of the extra attention from the opposing teams as the Habs #1C, and then he still continues to produce at a peak Turris level or greater, then we can start the discussion on whether or not hes eclipsed a peak Kyle Turris.......

In 2014-2015 Turris was playing a sound defensive game, and produced like a #1C. And imo its laughable to suggest that its already a foregone conclusion that Suzuki will pass Turris's peak. While its totally possible, its anything but a given.

Here is the #1C for every team in the league during Kyle's peak season in 2014-2015 (and also their #2C if he had better stats than Turris).

RANKPLAYERGPGAPTS
1John Tavares82384886
2Sidney Crosby77285684
3Nicklas Backstrom82186078
4Tyler Seguin71374077
5Claude Giroux81254873
6Henrik Sedin82185573
7Steven Stamkos82432972
8Tyler Johnson77294372
9Ryan Johansen82264571
10Evgeni Malkin69284270
11Ryan Getzlaf77254570
12Joe Pavelski82373370
13Logan Couture82274067
14Henrik Zetterberg77174966
15Jonathan Toews81283866
16Pavel Datsyuk63263965
17Joe Thornton78164965
18Kyle Turris82244064
19Anze Kopitar79164864
20Jason Spezza82174562
21Jeff Carter82283462
22Derick Brassard80194160
23Ryan Nugent-Hopkins76243256
24Patrice Bergeron81233255
25Matt Duchene82213455
26Ryan O'Reilly82173855
27Eric Staal77233154
28Bryan Little70242852
29Tyler Bozak82232649
30Mikko Koivu80143448
31Paul Stastny74163046
32Nick Bjugstad72241943
33Adam Henrique75162743
34Sam Gagner81152641
35Zemgus Girgensons61151530
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think you're contradicting yourself. If you think Suzuki will be as good for most seasons as peak Turris, then that would put him at a level where we could comfortably say top 20 C, no? People's issues with a player comparison to Kyle Turris is that Turris' career has been dogged by wildly inconsistent effort. I don't see that happening with Suzuki.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I think you're contradicting yourself. If you think Suzuki will be as good for most seasons as peak Turris, then that would put him at a level where we could comfortably say top 20 C, no? People's issues with a player comparison to Kyle Turris is that Turris' career has been dogged by wildly inconsistent effort. I don't see that happening with Suzuki.

Not a contradiction though because there are several players below Turris that season that nearly everyone would still choose ahead of Turris if given the choice. Guys like Bergeron, Kopitar, Krecji, Duchene, Carter, O'rielly, to name just a few, are all CLEARLY better centers than Turris was.

So while Turris' peak offensive season landed him in the top 20 scorers for centerman, he is most certainly NOT a top 20 center, and was never considered one at any point in his career either.

I dont believe Suzuki will be either.

the paisanos guy

Dec 6, 2010
Not a contradiction though because there are several players below Turris that season that nearly everyone would still choose ahead of Turris if given the choice. Guys like Bergeron, Kopitar, Krecji, Duchene, Carter, O'rielly, to name just a few, are all CLEARLY better centers than Turris was.

So while Turris' peak offensive season landed him in the top 20 scorers for centerman, he is most certainly NOT a top 20 center, and was never considered one at any point in his career either.

I dont believe Suzuki will be either.

This is what you said

If thats the criteria, then absolutely not imo. He will be a 1b/2a kinda guy imo, like Kyle Turris at his peak, somewhere comfortably in the 30-40 range.

So Suzuki will be like Kyle Turris at his peak. But if Kyle Turris could have maintained his peak for longer than 1 season, he could've easily been a top 20 C. Are you saying Suzuki will have 1 or 2 good season in between years of mediocrity?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So Suzuki will be like Kyle Turris at his peak. But if Kyle Turris could have maintained his peak for longer than 1 season, he could've easily been a top 20 C. Are you saying Suzuki will have 1 or 2 good season in between years of mediocrity?

Ugh... it doesnt have to be this complicated my dude...lets stop with the hypothetical arguments....

I think Suzuki will have a similar peak and career to Turris, like a 1b/2a top 6 center. That means that for the majority of his prime he will likely fall into the group of centers ranked in the 30-40 range. Like Turris was on average during his prime.

We clear now?

the paisanos guy

Dec 6, 2010
Ugh... it doesnt have to be this complicated my dude...lets stop with the hypothetical arguments....

I think Suzuki will have a similar peak and career to Turris, like a 1b/2a top 6 center. That means that for the majority of his prime he will likely fall into the group of centers ranked in the 30-40 range. Like Turris was on average during his prime.

We clear now?

Yes, thank you for clearing that up. You kept on saying 'peak Turris' and when people disliked the Kyle Turris career comparison you kinda doubled down on referring to his peak as the basis of comparison.

I think saying he projects to have a Turris level career is a massive undersell though. In Suzuki's first season he's already matched Turris' career points per game.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Yes, thank you for clearing that up. You kept on saying 'peak Turris' and when people disliked the Kyle Turris career comparison you kinda doubled down on referring to his peak as the basis of comparison.

I think saying he projects to have a Turris level career is a massive undersell though. In Suzuki's first season he's already matched Turris' career points per game.

What I'm calling out is the people like yourselves who believe there will be some sort of "massive" gap between him and Turris, who was a good top 6 center in his prime. There is not, at least not yet as some have implied. This is not a Barkov level prospect.

He certainly could outdo Turris, but let's see him post multiple 50+ point seasons while getting keyed in on by opposing teams before we go ahead and crown him as the future star center of the Canadians.

the paisanos guy

Dec 6, 2010
What I'm calling out is the people like yourselves who believe there will be some sort of "massive" gap between him and Turris, who was a good top 6 center in his prime. There is not, at least not yet as some have implied. This is not a Barkov level prospect.

He certainly could outdo Turris, but let's see him post multiple 50+ point seasons while getting keyed in on by opposing teams before we go ahead and crown him as the future star center of the Canadians.

So would you be okay with comparing Brady Tkachuk to Clarke MacArthur? Let's wait until he hits multiple 50+ point seasons before giving him the benefit of the doubt that he can have a better career than a guy who was a good top 6 player for a couple seasons?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So would you be okay with comparing Brady Tkachuk to Clarke MacArthur? Let's wait until he hits multiple 50+ point seasons before giving him the benefit of the doubt that he can have a better career than a guy who was a good top 6 player for a couple seasons?

This is embarrasing man... Kyle Turris was comparatively a MUCH MUCH better centerman than McArthur was a winger... Why is it such an insult for you to hear that Suzuki is likely closer to a 2nd line center than to whatever it is you believe he is?

Go ahead and continue to feel insulted by the comparison I guess. Im sure you think Suzuki is closer to Barkov than he is Turris, and heck you could even be right, but thats a far bigger leap than the one Im making with my comparison.

And judging by these poll results, I dont think Im the only one who thinks that you might be under the influence :laugh:

the paisanos guy

Dec 6, 2010
This is embarrasing man... Kyle Turris was comparatively a MUCH MUCH better centerman than McArthur was a winger... Why is it such an insult for you to hear that Suzuki is likely closer to a 2nd line center than to whatever it is you believe he is?

What do you mean?? In 2010-2011 MacArthur was 12th in scoring for left wingers in the whole league! That's even higher than Turris' peak year you quoted earlier! But judging by your response I'm guessing you wouldn't be happy to compare Tkachuk to MacArthur. Probably because you can look at where Tkachuk is and compare it to where MacArthur was at the same age and notice the massive gap. But from some reason you're unable to do that with Suzuki and Turris. Maybe you being a Sens fan has something to do with it? Nah couldn't be.

It's a simple matter of projecting trajectory, and you saying Suzuki projects to have a Turris career trajectory despite the fact that he's already met Turris' career average ppg at an age where Turris couldn't break into the NHL shows you are way off.

Go ahead and continue to feel insulted by the comparison I guess. Im sure you think Suzuki is closer to Barkov than he is Turris, and heck you could even be right, but thats a far bigger leap than the one Im making with my comparison.

And judging by these poll results, I dont think Im the only one who thinks that you might be under the influence :laugh:

I'm under the influence? The poll is not 'will Nick Suzuki have a better career than Kyle Turris?'

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The poll is not 'will Nick Suzuki have a better career than Kyle Turris?'

The poll is asking if he will be a true #1C. The answer we got so far is pretty clearly "no".

So if hes not a true #1C, hes in the same tier as the Kyle Turris' of the world... aka like a 1a/2b kind of guy during his prime...Fairly shocking take, I know....

Last edited:

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
The poll is asking if he will be a true #1C. The answer we got so far is pretty clearly "no".

So if hes not a true #1C, hes in the same tier as the Kyle Turris' of the world... aka like a 1a/2b kind of guy...Fairly shocking take, I know....

Stop comparing him to f***ing Kyle Turris ffs. Kyle Turris is a beige and boring 3C and has always been.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Stop comparing him to f***ing Kyle Turris ffs. Kyle Turris is a beige and boring 3C and has always been.

No, id rather not thanks :laugh:. I already showed Turris was clearly a good 1a/2b guy so either make a real point or just GTFO. Please.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
No, id rather not thanks :laugh:. I already showed Turris was clearly a good 1a/2b guy so either make a real point or just GTFO. Please.

You showed nothing. Like some people have brought out, while on the never ending mission to make Turris relevant again (or at all), you've been contradicting yourself to a point that no one gets your agenda anymore. Way to take over a thread and make it a boring 3 pages gibberish about Kyle f***ing Turris.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You showed nothing. Like some people have brought out, while on the never ending mission to make Turris relevant again (or at all), you've been contradicting yourself to a point that no one gets your agenda anymore. Way to take over a thread and make it a boring 3 pages gibberish about Kyle f***ing Turris.

Holy crap man did Turris sleep with your sister or something? :laugh:

A peak Kyle "f***ing" Turris is an apt comparison for Suzuki imo, and Im debating with some people who want to act like Ive just compared him to George Paros. Like get a grip guys...

So if you just wanted to do a big circle jerk on Suzuki and talk about how good you guys think he will be, well then the Habs board >>>>>>> that way friend. :thumbu:

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Combining reg season + playoffs, he has 17 goals and 47 pts in his last 75 games (51 pt pace). It was his rookie season, and he just recently turned 21.

The "he will end up a high-end 2C" makes little sense considering he already produced like a 2C in his rookie year.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So, basically people think he already topped out on his potential as a 20 years old? He was a 2C all year and produced 50 points while playing with bad linemates with second wave PP.

Sometimes I really wonder why even bother post on the poll board when you havent bothered to form an actual opinion.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t see it. Suzuki is more about speed and hard work to me. He’s obviously has high end skill but he plays a more hard working game.

On a scale of zero to none, how many games of Suzuki have you caught?

Suzukis game is not about speed and hard work, he often seems slow and lazy out there, because hes got such good anticipation and loves to read the play while being a step ahead everyone.

Reactions: EveryDay

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yes. Think he’s a on track to be a responsible 65~ point centerman right now. Maybe 70~ if scoring remains as high as it’s been recently.

And I think he has talent/capacity to have some peak scoring years above p/pg if Montréal gets more top end forwards in the future.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Holy crap man did Turris sleep with your sister or something? :laugh:

A peak Kyle "f***ing" Turris is an apt comparison for Suzuki imo, and Im debating with some people who want to act like Ive just compared him to George Paros. Like get a grip guys...

So if you just wanted to do a big circle jerk on Suzuki and talk about how good you guys think he will be, well then the Habs board >>>>>>> that way friend. :thumbu:

I mean, did you actually watch Suzuki play? When he's on the ice he brings creativity, that's his game. He's a rare one on the habs that keeps the puck and doesn't always dump and chase.

Turris is the opposite of a creative player. Effective yes, or used to be, but creative, nahh..

For the bolded part, without being a circle jerk, of course people don't wanna hear that (one of) the best player on their team being weakly compared to a beige Kyle Turris.

At least Paros had some passion in is game :thumbu:

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Im pretty shocked that a 21 year old scoring 41 in 56 isnt considered to have 1C potential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->