Will Nick “Nature Boy” Suzuki become a true 1C?

Will Suzuki become a true 1C?

• Total voters

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
To those saying no, I’d be really interested in having the rationale fully explained. Just because he was not a top-10 pick? His statistical progression lines up nicely against many former and current players who would definitely be considered “true 1Cs” and he obviously has the required vision and puck skills.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Depends on if he head taps Crosby and steals his talent.

uRScOfL.png

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I would say no but my definition of a 1C is someone that you can win a cup with if the rest of your team is adequately built (ie if Suzuki was your 1C and you had Jones, Hedman, and Makar you could win but that’s not realistic). If you can’t realistically win a cup with him as your 1C then what’s the point?

looking at the past cup finalists of the 2010 decade you will see Crosby, Kopitar, Toews, Backstrom, Bergeron, Sedin, Giroux/Richards, Zajac, Stepan, Stamkos, ROR, Thornton, Johansen, and Karlsson.

Of the winners I don’t think Suzuki compares favourably to anyone. Of the losers Stepan and Karlsson stick out the most as players Suzuki could definitely become one day. Ryjo and Zajac as well but they were pretty decent during those runs, and in Johansens case he had an unreal defence.

Personally I find it hard to imagine Suzuki as the 1C on a cup winning team so voted no, but he has showed a lot of promise so it’s not impossible for him to get there.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The question asks “will he” where it should probably ask “could he” so I suppose I understand the uncertainty.

But to those voting no, if they have watched him in 2020, my question would be, what more exactly would you need to see from a 20-21 year old to vote yes?

Reactions: Dominance

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I went with no...

He could be a 1C like Monahan, but I don’t think he’s the one that should be 1C if you’re trying to win championships.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Likely no by the metric given in the OP of a top 20 elite C that goes up against the best in the game. It's not impossible he'll become that but I can't realistically say yes "he will" become that player.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I am high on Suzuki but see him as a tweener first line center but more likely a very good second line guy. Very high hockey IQ. I like his chances much more than KK. I am not buying the hype on him yet. Disappears far more often than he shows up.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Question is simple. For me a true 1C is a C who you can lean on in every situation and can matchup head to head with the elite Cs in the league. Legitimately a top 20 C in hockey.

A player can be your definition of a 1C and still have 20 or more other centers in the league who are better than them. There are lots of great centers in the NHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A player can be your definition of a 1C and still have 20 or more other centers in the league who are better than them. There are lots of great centers in the NHL.

Yep, I could see him being a 1C like Claude Giroux. Hasn't won a cup but not because he's not good enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad