Will McDavid lead the NHL in Points this season?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Giroux continues pace exactly, finishes with 16.4 goals and 82 assists

His goal-scoring pace should be pick up a bit to about 3 every 10 games or so, but I expect his assist pace to slow down a bit. I still think he bounces from last years drop in production to finish with between 75-80 points this season.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I would consider Malkin a stronger contender than crosby this year to be honest. Sid has looked amazing but with Kessel on Malkins wing I think they will be a better line even strength. And Malkin then has crosby on the power play which has been clicking well with Sid back.

Since they were put together in the Florida game.
Malkin has 3gp 3g 2a 5p +2
Kessel has 3gp 1g 5a 6p +1

I know its suuuuuuper small sample but they look good and Kessel is the best playmaker outside of crosby Malkin has ever played with. Also thats with them dragging the corpse of Kunitz around.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
His goal-scoring pace should be pick up a bit to about 3 every 10 games or so, but I expect his assist pace to slow down a bit. I still think he bounces from last years drop in production to finish with between 75-80 points this season.

Nope. 98.4 points.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
if every team decides to trap the oilers like the last 2 teams he will def not win it. he looks so pissed off because he can't do anything. lol

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
I think he's the favourite at this point. He is the fastest and most skilled player in the NHL.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If the Oilers had a decent PP then absolutely yes, but he is going to have to score a lot at ES to make up for the advantage the other top players have on the PP. Woodcroft is terrible powerplay coach and the Oil have nobody with a decent point shot.

Can't argue with that statement. Woodcroft. :shakehead Work with what you have in Edmonton, not with what you had in San Jose!

I originally picked Crosby but said it would be close between he and McDavid... that was before Crosby missed 6 games. Now I'll say, if McDavid stays healthy (77+games), I think he will win it. Crosby will be close.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I doubt he keeps up the pace. Of course HF thinks he will win because he's leading in points NOW and he's McJesus and all. But I bet he slows down as the season goes on.

He has one more point than Anisimov at the moment and I doubt anybody here thinks Anisimov has a good shot to win the Art Ross.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
if every team decides to trap the oilers like the last 2 teams he will def not win it. he looks so pissed off because he can't do anything. lol

Yeah, it's definitely frustrating, but it works. :laugh:

But their PP is brutal. As a few have said if it was even remotely average he'd have more than he has currently.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Your bias towards Crosby couldn't be more transparent. :)

Where is your indepth analysis on McDavid getting 95 points?

I just thought that predicting him to score 103 while he's lost 6 games is a pretty tall order. With McDavid, can't really know what he's capable of.

But like I said, I expect these two to duke this race out and at this point, it's an open race.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I'd have to disagree. He basically had 3 breakaways against Vancouver (2 clean, 1 partial) when they were trapping, and had some good looks/set-ups in the Ottawa game. When he's on his game it doesn't matter what the other team does. If anything his line mates need to pick it up, Eberle especially. No excuse for him only having 2 non-empty net goals at this point with all the grade A looks he gets playing with McDavid.

McDavid's PP production should pick up as well. Edmonton's PP is not good by any means, but McDavid is better on the PP than has shown up in the stats so far.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Based on current scoring, it looks like we might not have a 100 point player. Obviously its only 10 games in (just under) and someone could go on a hot streak.

I wouldn't bet against Crosby this year, he looked amazing in the World Cup and has been good since his return, providing he stays healthy.

Crosby, Malkin, McDavid as a top 3, if all stay healthy sounds pretty good :)

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I predict 105-110 points, if he can reach that level he will win the scoring race.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'd have to disagree. He basically had 3 breakaways against Vancouver (2 clean, 1 partial) when they were trapping, and had some good looks/set-ups in the Ottawa game. When he's on his game it doesn't matter what the other team does. If anything his line mates need to pick it up, Eberle especially. No excuse for him only having 2 non-empty net goals at this point with all the grade A looks he gets playing with McDavid.

McDavid's PP production should pick up as well. Edmonton's PP is not good by any means, but McDavid is better on the PP than has shown up in the stats so far.

Yes....against Vancouver and Ottawa

As the schedule gets tougher for the Oilers, as is the case this month, we'll see if he can keep the pace up.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
The Oilers started off hot and cannot possibly sustain this pace. The usual suspects will sneak up real quick and take over soon.

Tavares, Malkin, Kane, Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Perry.

I will wager my life that Ryan "13 goals" Getzlaf will not outscore McDavid this season.

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
Guys, is it a **** up if I chose Benn over Kane, Crosby, or Stamkos in my hockey pool?
Starting to think it is since Benn has been non existent so far this year.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I've been watching every Oiler game this season and Mcdavid is an amazing talent that will be the best player in the world eventually.

That said, i don't think he's quite there yet. He's fabulous off the rush and turns nothing plays into scoring chances, but i think Crosby is better at using his linemates to keep the other team pinned in their own zone for long stretches at a time. Mcdavid's half court down low game needs some work, and that will come with strength and maturity.

Crosby was incredible in the world cup, and despite the setback of missing the first 6 games, looks to have picked up where he left off. 5 points in 3 games so far.

I'd also keep an eye out for 2 time art ross winner Malkin. He's looked really good and has 10 points in 9 games himself.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Guys, is it a **** up if I chose Benn over Kane, Crosby, or Stamkos in my hockey pool?
Starting to think it is since Benn has been non existent so far this year.

It was a good pick if you have other scoring categories than just goals and assists? Benn is great and even better playing with TS but yeah, it's a slow start for them and the Stars for sure! Regardless, I'm sure you can expect 70-90 pts from Benn if he stays healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad