Will McDavid lead the NHL in Points this season?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby reaching 103 points would mean needs to sport a whopping 111+ point pace over the entire season. Or 1.36 PPG. For 70+ games Crosby has done that exactly once (1.52 in his sophomore season). I know he would have surpassed that mark few times had he been healthy, but the fact of the matter is, that Crosby has posted 1.36 or better PPG in a full season exactly once.

But he has looked awesome. So I'm not saying it can't happen. Just that thus far, he's only been able to do it once. 10 years a go.

Really nitpicking. Crosby has posted 1.34 ppg in 77 gp and 1.35 ppg in 81 games. But I agree it will be harder because he's not as young as he once was

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
They arent related but it does set up precedent.

Some guys are just .. "brittle" for lack of a better word. There are a few guys that just seem to get injured repeatedly, with different injuries each time.

Im not suggesting that this will or is happening with McDavid. Im just saying that its possible that this is the start of a regular thing.

Injured twice and injured repeatedly are very different things. More likely than not, this isn't the start of anything.

It suggests that his bones aren't made of steel like Ovy for example, he broke 2 bones in the last 2 seasons, that's a fact, 1 out of 1 in the NHL, the term suggests means that there is a probability this becomes a trend, it isn't absolute by any means.

I just said it was one of the reasons why if you ask me, would you bet on a group made of the rest of the NHL or Mdavid to win the scoring title, I would choose the rest, as should anyone.

Having a history of no injuries doesn't make his bones harder or any better than McDavid's. Like I said above, two occasions isn't enough to make anything a trend. Bones heal very well. Studies have actually shown that a repeat fracture is not more likely or less likely to happen at the site of an old fracture. Physiologically, what you are saying makes no sense.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It would be amazing if it was a race between McDavid and Crosby, and I believe it will be. Better question is what if, what if McDavid wins the Art Ross, the Oilers make the playoffs, and he wins one of Hart/Lindsay too? Would that be a better start than Crosby had? In my opinion that would be spectacular.

A Crosby/McDavid scoring race would be great on two fronts; people want to know who is better now and also who was better after their 2nd seasons.

I think Crosby is playing as well as he ever has, or close to it, which usually means noone can touch him except perhaps the best prospect since him. I wouldn't be surprised if Crosby wins despite missing a few games, perhaps handily, or McDavid wins but has a lower PPG.

Or most likely of all, one player gets injured and the PPG argument rears its ugly head again.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
The question isn't can he do it, it's will he do it.

It's a yes/no question so it Mcdavid against all the other top guys, when you add in the fact that he's had two important injuries in the last 2 years and constantly beats defenders with insane speed towards the end boards where any little shove can be dangerous, it should be an easy no for anyone imho.

So it's an easy no for you because you believe he'll be injured. That makes sense.

I think the answer for just about anybody in here is if he stays healthy, he'll have a great chance.

Stuckinthe2ndround*

I think McDavid has the edge in a race with Crosby since he's allowed to do whatever he wants on a bad team, much like when Crosby came into the league. Crosby has a defined role now on a cup contender, including a heck of a lot more defensive responsibly.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I indicated that he isnt ready and I will give my reasons.

He is not Gretzky nor even Crosby mentally. He is mature as a young man but not so much on the ice. He still thinks north south and floats too much. He inst mentally ready to compete for every loose puck and the Oilers are not helping him with Lucic. The guy does not have the skill to help Mc David. He simply is 2 tiers below him. Lucic needs to play with Draisaitl.

In order for Mc David to win the scoring title I would need to see the same type of belief in himself that he OWNS the ice that Gretzky and Crosby had during their second season.

Its not quite there yet. Believe it or not, he doesnt know how good he is yet. When it finally dawns on him, he will explode and take over the NHL.

He also hasnt played a full year yet and that wear and tear can drain you mentally which will short his points.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Injured twice and injured repeatedly are very different things. More likely than not, this isn't the start of anything.

Having a history of no injuries doesn't make his bones harder or any better than McDavid's. Like I said above, two occasions isn't enough to make anything a trend. Bones heal very well. Studies have actually shown that a repeat fracture is not more likely or less likely to happen at the site of an old fracture. Physiologically, what you are saying makes no sense.

IMO yes, playing 11 seasons without missing any significant time, something Mcdavid couldn't do in every NHL season he's played does make the latter more injury prone than the former. I don't know why you've said to me twice that bones healed well, they do, I never said anything related to that, just said that recent history might suggest that Mcdavid is injury prone.

So it's an easy no for you because you believe he'll be injured. That makes sense.

I think the answer for just about anybody in here is if he stays healthy, he'll have a great chance.

He absolutely does have a chance, a really good one too, it's his or Sid's if they are healthy imo, that's just not what OP was asking.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I indicated that he isnt ready and I will give my reasons.

He is not Gretzky nor even Crosby mentally. He is mature as a young man but not so much on the ice. He still thinks north south and floats too much. He inst mentally ready to compete for every loose puck and the Oilers are not helping him with Lucic. The guy does not have the skill to help Mc David. He simply is 2 tiers below him. Lucic needs to play with Draisaitl.

In order for Mc David to win the scoring title I would need to see the same type of belief in himself that he OWNS the ice that Gretzky and Crosby had during their second season.

Its not quite there yet. Believe it or not, he doesnt know how good he is yet. When it finally dawns on him, he will explode and take over the NHL.

He also hasnt played a full year yet and that wear and tear can drain you mentally which will short his points.

Who else would they play on his left though? Lucic seems to be working pretty well so far but I also haven't watched all the games.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
He absolutely does have a chance, a really good one too, it's his or Sid's if they are healthy imo, that's just not what OP was asking.

I get where you're coming from. You are basing your answer off of him getting injured. However, that's not what OP was asking either.

Obviously if he gets injured for a decent amount of time then he won't score the most points. I was just curious about you're answer of "easy no" but you explained it.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
IMO yes, playing 11 seasons without missing any significant time, something Mcdavid couldn't do in every NHL season he's played does make the latter more injury prone than the former. I don't know why you've said to me twice that bones healed well, they do, I never said anything related to that, just said that recent history might suggest that Mcdavid is injury prone.

I'm not sure what's hard to understand about it, but the type of injury is extremely relevant to whether someone is injury prone or not. I'll say it one last time since you have trouble understanding. Two completely unrelated injuries do not make a player injury prone.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
50% chance he will (assuming he stays healthy). 40% is Crosby. Hopefully both players stay healthy and it becomes one hell of a battle.

The remaining 10% I give to other players (Kane, Giroux, Malkin, Ovechkin...).

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Gotta go with Kane here.

McDavid hasn't even played a full year. Teams will figure him out. Teams can't figure out Kane.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gotta go with Kane here.

McDavid hasn't even played a full year. Teams will figure him out. Teams can't figure out Kane.

Kane is extremely talented and a elite skater/puck handler but is sheltered a bit by a pretty good Blackhawks team! McDavid will not be "figured out". He's too dynamic and a powerful skater to stop at this stage.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I still think it will be Crosby leading the league in points. Crosby will finish with 44 goals and 103 points and McDavid will finish with 33 goal and 95 points.

Crosby reaching 103 points would mean needs to sport a whopping 111+ point pace over the entire season. Or 1.36 PPG. For 70+ games Crosby has done that exactly once (1.52 in his sophomore season). I know he would have surpassed that mark few times had he been healthy, but the fact of the matter is, that Crosby has posted 1.36 or better PPG in a full season exactly once.

But he has looked awesome. So I'm not saying it can't happen. Just that thus far, he's only been able to do it once. 10 years a go.

Your bias towards Crosby couldn't be more transparent. :)

Where is your indepth analysis on McDavid getting 95 points?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Let's see what happens over the next month. He has faced less then "stellar" opposition in the first month along with a very friendly schedule. Lots of days off and no back to backs.

This next month will be telling. If he keeps up this pace through November, I'd say he has a great shot at it. If not, then I'd put money on one of the "usual's"

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The Oilers started off hot and cannot possibly sustain this pace. The usual suspects will sneak up real quick and take over soon.

Tavares, Malkin, Kane, Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Perry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad