Will McDavid lead the NHL in Points this season?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only two guys who have scored over 100pts since the last lockout season 4 years ago... It's been Crosby and Kane and then 15 other guys scored in the 80-90 pts range. It's only been 54 games played by McDavid so far but he's on a 1.11 pts/game pace (1.33 pts/game for 9 games this year). I think McDavid comes close to 100 pts this year as he's only getting better by each game. If you take away last season from Kane, he hasn't played a full season since 2011/2012 and his career pts/game is 1.01. Kane more than likely finishes around 80-90pts range if he stays healthy this season. Malkin's career pts/game is 1.18 so he's in the mix for sure playing on that Pens team.

It's a 3 person race to me. McDavid, Crosby, Malkin. And McDavid is on a much improved Oilers team so he's the favorite with that start!

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
McDavid has been injury prone. 57 and 47 games last two seasons in junior. Last year 45 games in his rookie year in the NHL. Until he proves he can be durable, any talk of him winning anything is very premature.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
McDavid has been injury prone. 57 and 47 games last two seasons in junior. Last year 45 games in his rookie year in the NHL. Until he proves he can be durable, any talk of him winning anything is very premature.

Crosby and Kane have been injured a lot too. Difference is McDavid hasn't played a full season yet.. I get it. But he deserves some attention for how he is racking up points so far

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008

OHL seasons have 68 games. Playing 57 games does not make one "injury prone," especially considering he missed some games because of the World Juniors.

He broke his hand in a fight and had an NHL injury that would have sidelined anybody. I don't think that's being "injury prone." The only thing you could possibly say - on last year's injury - is that he's too fast and thus a bit dangerous.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
He's the most talented offensive player in the league today I think. He's not the best player and other players like Crosby and Kane may be able to generate more chances through better defense or possession but in terms of talent when the puck's in the offensive zone I don't think there's anyone better.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I would consider Malkin a stronger contender than crosby this year to be honest. Sid has looked amazing but with Kessel on Malkins wing I think they will be a better line even strength. And Malkin then has crosby on the power play which has been clicking well with Sid back.

Since they were put together in the Florida game.
Malkin has 3gp 3g 2a 5p +2
Kessel has 3gp 1g 5a 6p +1

I know its suuuuuuper small sample but they look good and Kessel is the best playmaker outside of crosby Malkin has ever played with. Also thats with them dragging the corpse of Kunitz around.

Malkin is winning it this year if he stays healthy and that's a big if haha

Malkin is good enough to win it this year for sure, but to do so our coach will have to start giving him EN opportunities, since every Ross winner often has 7-12 EN points per year. Even with a Malkin hattrick on the line last game, Malkin did not see an EN shift, as neither a winger nor a C.

It doesn't seem right, especially as Malkin has been very sound defensively this year, and you see offense first players like Ov, Stamkos, Kane get regular EN opportunities, yet Malkin seems to get none at all this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad