• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
He wasn’t injured, it wasn’t an 82 game season last year for any team. Do you live under a rock? The season was cut short at the 68-70 game mark depending on the team because of the Pandemic.

literally you’re previous comment says 60 goal “pace” then you discredit his 55 pace last year because of the NHL shutting down when he didn’t miss any games due to injury...

Matthews had 47 goals last year in 70 games, when the league shutdown.

You are correct. I thought you meant a different season.

If Matthews continues to score at this pace against normal competition he will be given credit. It’s pretty obvious to neutral observers that the North is accounting for some amount of stat inflation. You don’t have to take it personally, or deny reality. It’ll be ok.

Reactions: Garthinater

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

If Matthews continues to score at this pace against normal competition he will be given credit. It’s pretty obvious to neutral observers that the North is accounting for some amount of stat inflation. You don’t have to take it personally, or deny reality. It’ll be ok.

LMAO. What "normal competition"? You mean, like.....Anaheim & LA? Detroit & Columbus? Buffalo & New Jersey?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

But last year shows he was basically scoring at 60 goal pace against “normal” competition.... the schedule was normal it just got shutdown around the 70 game mark.

To be specific it was a 55 goal pace. He’s gotten even better this year. To discredit this season makes no sense based on track record.

If he was averaging 30 goals a year against “normal” teams per 82 game, I think you could have an argument, but his track record proves otherwise.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

This isn't Brock Boeser or Kyle Connor running away with the Rocket Richard, it's Auston Matthews. If you want to handicap Matthews with some stat inflation, it's silly but it's your business. Problem is, you have to handicap him 25% of his goals just to get him into a tie for 2nd place with Rantanen and McDavid. And then how much are you handicapping McDavid and Draisaitl's stats? 20%? "Some amount of stat inflation" is a tenuous argument, but you can make a case for it. You're not going to make a compelling case that takes away 25%+ of Matthews' goals without getting completely ridiculous.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017

So a 55 goal pace last year isn't worthy of credit? A 40 goal season as a rookie, with limited ice time, limited PP opportunities and a mish mash of rookies on his wings, isn't worthy of credit? Him lighting up a division better than both Drai and McDavid, 2 of the best players in the league, isn't worthy of credit?

Man some of you leaf haters really show your lack of intelligence, or you're just looking to get a rise out of people. I actually hope it's the latter.

Every intelligent hockey fan in the world knows Matthews is one of the top goal scorers in the league. If being one of the top goal scorers in the league isn't worthy of credit right now, what is? You want to claim pasta, Drai, Ovi are better than AM at goal scoring, fine. Fill your boots. I disagree, but I can see how there is an argument. But no one can say AM isn't top 5. Anyone who is top 5 in the best league in the world deserves credit, not in the future, but right now. He's earned it

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Matthews will never be given credit. Don't kid yourself.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

North is the lowest scoring division....

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

This narrative to discredit McDavid and/or Matthews needs to die. The North division to date is the lowest scoring in hockey. The average team in the North has given up 152.4 goals, the average team in the Central has given up 153.88, East 161.88, and West 152.63.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
If Matthews continues to score at this pace against normal competition he will be given credit.

Well, to be fair........and I don't think you are being fair............only elite goal scorers ever score at this pace, and usually it's for one or two years of their career.

Since Matthews has scored at a 40-55 goal pace in the four year prior to this year, and against everyone in the league, I think it's reasonable to assume he could score at this insane pace at this stage of this career, no matter the competition. He was pacing for 55 goals just last year, against all the teams. Is that just forgotten? This year, at age 23, he did even better, and in the lowest scoring division in the league. Hmm, how strange, eh?

He's simply come into his own, and is starting to hit "the peak years" is all. Good for him.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

A few quick numbers:

2019-20 leaguewide: 3.02 GPG
East: 3.00 GPG
North: 2.96 GPG
West: 2.92 GPG
Central: 2.86 GPG

So the division that you're saying is the reason for Matthews's "stat inflation" is both A) not even the highest scoring division, let alone some kind of absurd outlier that would inflate his stats, and B) allowing fewer goals than the "normal competition" Matthews faced last year.

It's almost like he's just taken another step this year, though I know that's absurd because he's already 23 years old and should have plateaued in his development, so there must be some other explanation.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This narrative to discredit McDavid and/or Matthews needs to die. The North division to date is the lowest scoring in hockey. The average team in the North has given up 152.4 goals, the average team in the Central has given up 153.88, East 161.88, and West 152.63.

Uh oh, spaghettioooo

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
A few quick numbers:

2019-20 leaguewide: 3.02 GPG
East: 3.00 GPG
North: 2.96 GPG
West: 2.92 GPG
Central: 2.86 GPG

So the division that you're saying is the reason for Matthews's "stat inflation" is both A) not even the highest scoring division, let alone some kind of absurd outlier that would inflate his stats, and B) allowing fewer goals than the "normal competition" Matthews faced last year.

It's almost like he's just taken another step this year, though I know that's absurd because he's already 23 years old and should have plateaued in his development, so there must be some other explanation.

Logic. Something every single one of Matthews' detractors lack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad