Votes: 66 48.5%
  • He’s done

Votes: 70 51.5%

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not with that injury. He is destined for coyote Islsnd.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F4f5f94f5-ee8a-4244-bf47-beaf5c9d3d09_480x281.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I originally thought Gabe's knee injury might be related to his hip issues, but looking into it further, it looks like it might have just been that freak skate cut with Makar in 2020.

No wonder he had to get ligament replacement surgery. It probably just severed too much of the ligament and never fully healed.

Maybe others realized this but I haven't seen it brought up. What shitty luck. Hopefully he can come back. Would be such a bummer if he can't play again, but especially because of a freak play like that.

"The timeline goes back to the bubble in 2020," he said in April. "Kind of a freak accident that happens there. Never had any knee issues before that. One thing led to the next and it just sort of progressively got worse over that next year. Start of [last] season it started bugging me on a daily basis. It got worse and worse up until the point that we got the first surgery. At that point I didn't really realize the complexity of the injury and how one injury can, obviously it compensates."

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I originally thought Gabe's knee injury might be related to his hip issues, but looking into it further, it looks like it might have just been that freak skate cut with Makar in 2020.

No wonder he had to get ligament replacement surgery. It probably just severed too much of the ligament and never fully healed.
It wasn't ligament replacement. It was cartilage replacement. Not trying to nitpick or anything, but the latter is tough.

Much better chance of resuming a career after replacing an ACL, than what Landeskog had done.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It wasn't ligament replacement. It was cartilage replacement. Not trying to nitpick or anything, but the latter is tough.

Much better chance of resuming a career after replacing an ACL, than what Landeskog had done.

True. Good clarification.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
FYI this was earlier today in response to these comments from Stephen A Smith.

"Something went wrong in terms of these procedures that he's had. I don't think he'll ever be the same based off what we're seeing and hearing and reading about," Smith said. "I've heard that it's even hard for him to get up from a seated position."

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

"Something went wrong in terms of these procedures that he's had. I don't think he'll ever be the same based off what we're seeing and hearing and reading about," Smith said. "I've heard that it's even hard for him to get up from a seated position."

Probably fell down stayed down after this.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
True. Good clarification.
And I don't believe it was a ligament that got cut by Makar's skate. I believe it was more likely the patellar tendon.

I'm not a medical person, but my understanding is that one of the places where we have cartilage, is on the inside of the kneecap. And that particular cartilage is the buffer between the bottom of the femur, and the inside of the kneecap. Without it, one goes bone on bone between the two. I wonder if this is what is ailing Landeskog, given the descriptions we've seen.

My girlfriend had this particular problem a few years ago. It was quite painful, and sometimes her knee would 100% lock up. Since cartilage doesn't really regenerate (at least not easily), she had to get a partial knee replacement. They put titanium over the bottom of the femur, and some polymer/plastic on the inside of the kneecap, so the two slide past one another easily. She's great now. Lives a normal active life - snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking, does the elliptical, we lift weights every day, etc.

But there's a few things she can't do. No running (which is what likely caused the problem in the first place), no squats in the weight room, no lunges......and no professional ice hockey.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

That’s different from Landy. Supposedly Landy only feels pain when putting on skates and actually skating. If it doesn’t bother him otherwise like walking, sitting and getting up etc… maybe there is a chance he can actually find comfort in skating and playing again. Keeping hopes up.

Oops, I actually didn’t watch the video just read the report. I guess that knee doesn’t hurt when he sits and gets up and he said I’m coming back. Positive vibes

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And I don't believe it was a ligament that got cut by Makar's skate. I believe it was more likely the patellar tendon.

I'm not a medical person, but my understanding is that one of the places where we have cartilage, is on the inside of the kneecap. And that particular cartilage is the buffer between the bottom of the femur, and the inside of the kneecap. Without it, one goes bone on bone between the two. I wonder if this is what is ailing Landeskog, given the descriptions we've seen.

My girlfriend had this particular problem a few years ago. Since cartilage doesn't really regenerate (at least not easily), she had to get a partial knee replacement. They put titanium over the bottom of the femur, and some polymer/plastic on the inside of the kneecap, so the two slide past one another easily. She's great now. Lives a normal active life - snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking, does the elliptical, we lift weights every day, etc.

But there's a few things she can't do. No running (which is what likely caused the problem in the first place), no squats in the weight room, no lunges......and no professional ice hockey.

Yeah I misspoke about it being a ligament. Should have double checked first but got lazy.

The cut was right above the patella so your description of the cartilage inside the knee cap make sense and could be true. Might be what Landy was referring to with one injury leading to other problems.

At least judging by Ball in that video clip though, he's got a decent amount of strength in that knee about four months after surgery. Looks like he may be able to handle squats and lunges better than your GF if he's putting all his weight on his knee to stand up, but who knows.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This isn't a Shroedinger's Cat problem.

There's limited data points and absolutely none of them are optimistic.
Not true on the second part. There is a soccer player who got it and it saved his career.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Not true on the second part. There is a soccer player who got it and it saved his career.
Homie plays in the AHL of soccer. Glad for him. Doesn't really build my optimism. Maybe a glimmer.

I'll save that until landy is skating again and it doesn't look like his last skating stint. Until then, doom and gloom prevail.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

My girlfriend had this particular problem a few years ago. It was quite painful, and sometimes her knee would 100% lock up. Since cartilage doesn't really regenerate (at least not easily), she had to get a partial knee replacement. They put titanium over the bottom of the femur, and some polymer/plastic on the inside of the kneecap, so the two slide past one another easily. She's great now. Lives a normal active life - snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking, does the elliptical, we lift weights every day, etc.

Just want to chime in on this since I have been told I am a prime candidate for the surgery Ball and Landy had. My quadriceps tendon was completely severed off my patella when I shattered my distal femur in april. I ended up losing a lot of cartilage while my knee was open to the world. Landy and Ball's injuries were much less intense than mine, but I understand what kind of recovery they are going through a little better than most. I have been told that even in the best case scenario I will need a cartilage or knee replacement in the future.

My best guess is Landy severed his Quadriceps Tendon directly above the patella during the skate incident with Makar. Something went badly after that injury/surgery and between a lifetime of cartilage degradation from being a pro athlete/the new injury he developed something similar to what your girlfriend dealt with. The traditional way of fixing that is a knee replacement, but since Landy is a professional athlete and his injury was mostly limiting him from performing at a high level, he opted for the experimental surgery instead. From my conversations with my surgeon, (who has performed a few of these are these cartilage replacements) if it works correctly the patient can get back to 90-95% of the level they were at before, a knee replacement is more like 75-85% at best, you're always going to be limited somewhat like your girlfriend. The only thing we can do now is wait and see how Landy recovers. He really could get back to professional hockey if everything works out, how effective he will be is difficult to say.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Just want to chime in on this since I have been told I am a prime candidate for the surgery Ball and Landy had. My quadriceps tendon was completely severed off my patella when I shattered my distal femur in april. I ended up losing a lot of cartilage while my knee was open to the world. Landy and Ball's injuries were much less intense than mine, but I understand what kind of recovery they are going through a little better than most. I have been told that even in the best case scenario I will need a cartilage or knee replacement in the future.

My best guess is Landy severed his Quadriceps Tendon directly above the patella during the skate incident with Makar. Something went badly after that injury/surgery and between a lifetime of cartilage degradation from being a pro athlete/the new injury he developed something similar to what your girlfriend dealt with. The traditional way of fixing that is a knee replacement, but since Landy is a professional athlete and his injury was mostly limiting him from performing at a high level, he opted for the experimental surgery instead. From my conversations with my surgeon, (who has performed a few of these are these cartilage replacements) if it works correctly the patient can get back to 90-95% of the level they were at before, a knee replacement is more like 75-85% at best, you're always going to be limited somewhat like your girlfriend. The only thing we can do now is wait and see how Landy recovers. He really could get back to professional hockey if everything works out, how effective he will be is difficult to say.
How have you been doing buddy? I know you've started rehab but didn't see an update if you gave one.

Still can't believe how incredible it was that you and your friends made it all out alive. Wishing all the best for you.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One question I have with it... how much worse will his knee be (if any) compared to the Cup run?

We know he was on a bum knee then and he played through it... and did so at a pretty high level. If his knee comes back to a similar level of function as then, but without the pain and rest needed to suit up... he probably comes back and plays at a pretty high level. If he did major permanent damage during that run where it has quickly degraded far below that point and he'll never be close to that level again. Then he's probably done for outside of him giving it a run. Where that lands is a the real question and the ultimate determining factor on his career.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Appreciate the note, Smiley. And I hope you are doing well.

There are a couple of major types of knee replacement: Partial and full. What I described my girlfriend having, is a partial. They fix the cartilage problem (bone on bone) between the femur and the inside of the kneecap.

Full replacement is a different beast. That has to do with bone on bone between the femur and the tibia/fibula, I believe. And there are 2 sets of cartilage (meniscus) involved there.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Appreciate the note, Smiley. And I hope you are doing well.

There are a couple of major types of knee replacement: Partial and full. What I described my girlfriend having, is a partial. They fix the cartilage problem (bone on bone) between the femur and the inside of the kneecap.

Full replacement is a different beast. That has to do with bone on bone between the femur and the tibia/fibula, I believe. And there are 2 sets of cartilage (meniscus) involved there.
You're absolutely right. A full replacement is a totally different beast and was likely never in the cards for Landeskog. The cartilage replacement is only possible if you are a candidate for a partial replacement like your partner.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
One question I have with it... how much worse will his knee be (if any) compared to the Cup run?

We know he was on a bum knee then and he played through it... and did so at a pretty high level. If his knee comes back to a similar level of function as then, but without the pain and rest needed to suit up... he probably comes back and plays at a pretty high level. If he did major permanent damage during that run where it has quickly degraded far below that point and he'll never be close to that level again. Then he's probably done for outside of him giving it a run. Where that lands is a the real question and the ultimate determining factor on his career.
I believe there are probably a couple of factors at play, in addition to what he is physically capable of.

What pain is he in? If it's what I've been postulating, it can be quite painful. And chronically so.

What other damage is he doing to his knee? Sorry I'm babbling about my gf again here, but in her case, the surgeon said that the constant bone on bone would eventually grind down the inside of her kneecap, ultimately to the point that her patella would be worn away, and would have to be removed. Not sure what the fix for that would have been, but it doesn't sound good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad