Votes: 66 48.5%
  • He’s done

Votes: 70 51.5%

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
One question I have with it... how much worse will his knee be (if any) compared to the Cup run?

We know he was on a bum knee then and he played through it... and did so at a pretty high level. If his knee comes back to a similar level of function as then, but without the pain and rest needed to suit up... he probably comes back and plays at a pretty high level. If he did major permanent damage during that run where it has quickly degraded far below that point and he'll never be close to that level again. Then he's probably done for outside of him giving it a run. Where that lands is a the real question and the ultimate determining factor on his career.
And how much damage was done wasn’t probably fully known until they were in there for the surgery. Landy, the doctors, and the team probably have a general idea how likely he’s to come back at a high level. Fans won’t know till the day he plays.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yep. I'm honestly surprised so many people still think he's totally done.

IMO, without a doubt he is going to make a return and play again. The question that has far more validity to it will be for just how long and at what level.

Do we get maybe 1-2 more years where he plays ~40-50 games and is a shell of his former self, finally fulfilling the 3rd line grinder prophecy? Or does he come back at like 90-95% of what he was before and still a legitimate top line, top quality winger.

That's the bigger question to me. But absolutely without question, I bet he plays again. I even think he and the Avs right now are planning/hopeful to get him back in the playoffs this year.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Just want to chime in on this since I have been told I am a prime candidate for the surgery Ball and Landy had. My quadriceps tendon was completely severed off my patella when I shattered my distal femur in april. I ended up losing a lot of cartilage while my knee was open to the world. Landy and Ball's injuries were much less intense than mine, but I understand what kind of recovery they are going through a little better than most. I have been told that even in the best case scenario I will need a cartilage or knee replacement in the future.

My best guess is Landy severed his Quadriceps Tendon directly above the patella during the skate incident with Makar. Something went badly after that injury/surgery and between a lifetime of cartilage degradation from being a pro athlete/the new injury he developed something similar to what your girlfriend dealt with. The traditional way of fixing that is a knee replacement, but since Landy is a professional athlete and his injury was mostly limiting him from performing at a high level, he opted for the experimental surgery instead. From my conversations with my surgeon, (who has performed a few of these are these cartilage replacements) if it works correctly the patient can get back to 90-95% of the level they were at before, a knee replacement is more like 75-85% at best, you're always going to be limited somewhat like your girlfriend. The only thing we can do now is wait and see how Landy recovers. He really could get back to professional hockey if everything works out, how effective he will be is difficult to say.
I'm sorry to hear what happened to you and wish you the best in your recovery. How did you get the injury?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'll remain optimistic that he'll certainly give it a go. The question isn't necessarily "will he play again" so much as "will he be the same again?" and that's the one that's harder to answer right now.

Like Lonzo Ball, Landeskog will play again. I have no doubt that he'll get to a point in his rehab where he'll lace up the skates and begin building back toward getting in playing shape. However, like I asked above, the question becomes what Landeskog will we see? Does he go the route of the last Forsberg comeback where he's out there for a few games before he has to face a hard truth? Or does he take a bit to shake off what will be a very decent amount of rust and then he's back to being the consistent player he largely was prior to the injury?

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And it would be huge if we get that answer by the end of this year.
Knowing whether or not he will be on LTIR again next year will be huge for next offseason.

IMO the most likely course of events is that Landy won't be able to play in the playoffs this year, but will start the 24-25 season. In that case, the LTIR money certainly won't be there.

I'd say the odds of utilizing Landy's LTIR money is very slim for 24-25. Only instance I see it happening is Landy plays in the playoffs and gets a significant injury.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Picture another procedure, C-Diff. Most of the time it eventually heals on its own with the doctor's recommendation of medication and time. However, when it gets bad enough, most hospitals have donor faecal matter that is inserted into the patient to balance the microbiota levels.

Like the insertion of another person's faecal matter is a last resort, getting a transplant cartilage is definitely one of the last things you want to be done and happens when things get bad enough to issue a transplant.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
So what you're saying is, someone needs to take a shit on Landeskog to heal his knee?

I'll take one for the team.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
To be fair, I was the one who brought that up and nobody else did. This situation sort of reminds me of that...
I bet this procedure doesn’t have the interesting side effect though where the recipient sometimes either gains or loses weight because the donor was either thin or overweight when the recipient wasn’t and now their gut bacteria more closely resembles the other person

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I bet this procedure doesn’t have the interesting side effect though where the recipient sometimes either gains or loses weight because the donor was either thin or overweight when the recipient wasn’t and now their gut bacteria more closely resembles the other person
Yeah, it's more about population control than anything else which is what causes C-Diff in the first place (a lack thereof). Just because MRSA and other types exist doesn't mean that strain gets an advantage over others, bacteria are in constant competition with others at the same time due to limited resources like space, nutrients, and energy. You can Google bacteria growth curves to see that bacteria tend to grow immensely and then eventually die due to those finite resources.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad