Speculation: Will Hanzal Be Traded? (Hanzal Speculation)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Berglund fr Blues as stop gap?
The problem I have with the stopgap approach is that we don't even know how well Berglund (or whomever) will function as a Coyote himself much less relying on him to be a mentor for Strome.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The problem I have with the stopgap approach is that we don't even know how well Berglund (or whomever) will function as a Coyote himself much less relying on him to be a mentor for Strome.

Berglund has always played the right way and Tippett could easily ask Hitch what he thinks.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I hope Don either works out a new contract or trade Hanzal this summer; I don't want another potential difficult contract situation creeping into next season.

Uncertainty on important players weeks before a trade deadline is detrimental to the team (Vermette last year, Boedker this year).

KG

Sep 23, 2010
What would a new Hanzal contract look like? He will probably want a raise on the 3.1m.

4.5x5?

He might be worth around 5m aav on market. Injury history a concern, but teams always pay in FA

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
6 @ $6m+?

Not for a guy cobbled together by modern medicine. I'd rather trade him and avoid the potential for things to go bad. Either at the draft or at the TDL.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not for a guy cobbled together by modern medicine. I'd rather trade him and avoid the potential for things to go bad. Either at the draft or at the TDL.

I agree. If ask close to what I've outlined or higher you need to explore moving him at the draft. I'm the guy who floated this topic about a month ago.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Well, we know that Strome is our #1C of the future. Looking at junior play, Dvorak appears to be miles ahead of Hanzal, but that could just be the London team dynamic vs Hanzal playing with Red Deer in his last year of juniors.

We still have to find out how Strome and Dvorak adjust, and in all honesty, I think that in about 2-3 years, Strome and Dvorak will both be considered better players than Hanzal. So, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to re-sign Hanzal to a very long-term deal. If we can get him to agree to a 3 year deal, that would be perfect. However, I think that he will want more than 3 years, so it may be in our best interest to trade Hanzal.

The difficult thing with Hanzal is that we have complained the last two years about the injury potential with Vermette and Boedker heading into the trade deadline. With Hanzal's injury past, it would actually make sense to unload him sooner, rather than later, but that is its own catch-22 in case Strome or Dvorak struggle out of the gate. I could see something at either the draft or deadline, but don't know which will get us the better return, if only b/c the injury situation could rear its head during play next year. That and his defensive presence would be a major help, but I think we have some decently formidable Cs for the PK and 3rd/4th line help.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Well, we know that Strome is our #1C of the future. Looking at junior play, Dvorak appears to be miles ahead of Hanzal, but that could just be the London team dynamic vs Hanzal playing with Red Deer in his last year of juniors.

We still have to find out how Strome and Dvorak adjust, and in all honesty, I think that in about 2-3 years, Strome and Dvorak will both be considered better players than Hanzal. So, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to re-sign Hanzal to a very long-term deal. If we can get him to agree to a 3 year deal, that would be perfect. However, I think that he will want more than 3 years, so it may be in our best interest to trade Hanzal.

The difficult thing with Hanzal is that we have complained the last two years about the injury potential with Vermette and Boedker heading into the trade deadline. With Hanzal's injury past, it would actually make sense to unload him sooner, rather than later, but that is its own catch-22 in case Strome or Dvorak struggle out of the gate. I could see something at either the draft or deadline, but don't know which will get us the better return, if only b/c the injury situation could rear its head during play next year. That and his defensive presence would be a major help, but I think we have some decently formidable Cs for the PK and 3rd/4th line help.

Agree, we will probably need Hanzal as still the 1C next year with Strome as 2C and Dvorak possibly not even playing the whole year at C. but maybe trade Hanzal at the trade deadline next year. As long as Tipp is the head coach, we know that the 4C is pretty much just going to be a warm body, but Richardson could more than admirably fill that role for the next ~year. Vermette is not nearly as effective as he was a couple of years ago but could be helpful for 2016-17 season still as 3C. Then we part ways from him. I think eventually DM spends a little money, if we want to be true contenders, on a good center that could play on the second/third line for the 2017-18 season, assuming that Hanzal is eventually traded. hopefully Strome and Dvorak pan out as the centers in the top-6, then we have Rieder Domi Duclair and maybeeee Perlini filling out the more skilled guys. need a UFA top-6 right winger for 2016-17 in the meantime. no idea who that could be.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We don't want a repeat of EDM with the youngsters. Veteran presence is needed. So can't trade all the vet's

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman:

10. Arizona centre Martin Hanzal is going to be a player to watch over the next few months. One of the league’s most underrated performers, he’s on a great-value contract that ends after next season ($3.1M cap hit, $3.5M salary). It’s difficult to know exact timelines, but it sounds like a number of teams gauged the Coyotes’ interest in moving him over the past few weeks. St. Louis was reported, but it wouldn’t surprise me if a Washington or even a Los Angeles were among others. The only question about Hanzal is durability. He’s played in just 152 of Arizona’s 227 games the last three seasons.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-wrapping-up-the-nhl-trade-deadline/

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm sure they touched base with him about a possible extension. If they don't like what they heard ala Yandle, he ends up on the block.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Hanzal is our second best player behind OEL. I would hate to lose him but I realize there are concerns about his back which might force Don to trade him. But I hope he stays because he makes everyone around him better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad