Speculation: Will Hanzal Be Traded? (Hanzal Speculation)

Feb 12, 2003
As many have said, any team that would want Hanzal would not want to give up much from the roster at this point to acquire him. Trading Hanzal would not be a rental, so it doesn't make sense to get rental value for him. Hopefully Hanzal can stay healthy the next year and then we'll revisit it. I don't think he'll be traded until next year's deadline if he's traded. I think there is a realistic chance that Hanzal re-signs here after next season.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If we move Hanzal, with the pickups of Sekac and Plotnikov, then we know Maloney is tanking again for Matthews, IMO.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hanzal, 1st NYR for stamkos? Hey, a guy can dream, right? Stamkos, Matthews, strome. Looks nice.

We all know Stamkos is signing in Toronto next season. Ever since he was a little kid, it's always been his lifelong dream, his sole preoccupation even, to play with the great Mitch Marner.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I'd prefer Hanzal to stick around at least another 12 months. We have to have somebody who can draw some coverage away from Strome. I also love Domi and Duclair on his line. Very nice security blanket. Does all the dirty work. I feel like he's invaluable to these three assets, and their development. That's worth everything to this team. He's not our franchise player, but he's critical to their success. So I say keep him.

+1

No way Domi / Duclair would have had been this successful this season without Hanzal. He creates so much space.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We all know Stamkos is signing in Toronto next season. Ever since he was a little kid, it's always been his lifelong dream, his sole preoccupation even, to play with the great Mitch Marner.

TSN just theorized that the reason Nylander was called up today is that so he can play vs Tampa tonight and impress Stamkos, who will then want to sign with Toronto to play with Nylander. No joke. Holy hell.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
TSN just theorized that the reason Nylander was called up today is that so he can play vs Tampa tonight and impress Stamkos, who will then want to sign with Toronto to play with Nylander. No joke. Holy hell.

No wonder they think we'd trade OEL+ for Matthews. Those guys are crazy.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Why would Stamkos want to go from low pressure media marketing to the fishbowl of Toronto, where if he sneezed wrongly he would be critiqued

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why would Stamkos want to go from low pressure media marketing to the fishbowl of Toronto, where if he sneezed wrongly he would be critiqued

With Mitch Marner as captain, you'll see a culture shift in the city of Toronto. Respect for privacy and personal feelings with rule the day. Mitch Marner is not just god's gift to hockey, he's a cultural revolutionary.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Plus leave a young Cup competing team for whatever TML will become.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, we're one guy over 23 by my count.

In: Sekac, Plotnikov, Jeffrey, Cunningham
Out: Boedker, Plachta, Gaudet

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That's right. My bad.

Tonight's lineup could be ugly with Tanguay not arriving yet, no Boedker, and Tikhonov back in AZ.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
With Mitch Marner as captain, you'll see a culture shift in the city of Toronto. Respect for privacy and personal feelings with rule the day. Mitch Marner is not just god's gift to hockey, he's a cultural revolutionary.

Quick! Someone make a Che shirt with Marner's face on it...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That's fair. And it sounds a lot like what Maloney used to say about Yandle before NYR put Duclair on the board.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Hanzal's name was floated out there to flush out teams who would be willing to move a first when they say they wouldn't offer that for Boedker. Bait and switch.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if this creeps up again in the summer. Obviously what happens over the next few weeks will impact this (playoffs, Matthews, etc.), but I don't think we're totally out of the woods yet on considering a potential trade of Hanzal.

Keep an eye on the Blues. If they lose out early, that could open the door for a potential Hanzal for Shattenkirk swap. Both players have a year remaining on their contract. David Backes is also a pending UFA and, if he walks, that should increase the Blues' interest in Hanzal. Of course, the question is always who do we use at center as our Hanzal replacement.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if this creeps up again in the summer. Obviously what happens over the next few weeks will impact this (playoffs, Matthews, etc.), but I don't think we're totally out of the woods yet on considering a potential trade of Hanzal.

Keep an eye on the Blues. If they lose out early, that could open the door for a potential Hanzal for Shattenkirk swap. Both players have a year remaining on their contract. David Backes is also a pending UFA and, if he walks, that should increase the Blues' interest in Hanzal. Of course, the question is always who do we use at center as our Hanzal replacement.

Berglund fr Blues as stop gap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad